Notices

healthy substitions for addiction

Old 11-14-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Was lovestruck by drugs

healthy substitions for addiction

I wanted to start this post to see type of healthy activities/hobbies you replaced your addiction with. I am only one week clean but I have found the time this week to start reading books again, take my dog for walks, make healthy meals, and am thinking about taking a class to become a dog trainer. I work full time so that fills up a lot of time, but I used to spend my evenings high on pills. I find it interesting to hear how others cope and fill there time.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

Blogging. I keep an online journal. I love it. I spill my guts into it (anonymously) and it instantly lifts me. I've had it for five years...but in this past year, I have used it to document my addiction. Reading the entries that include my withdrawals and start to recovery always make me smile...now. They provide me with a great source of strength.

I also volunteer my time at a rape crisis center. I have been doing this for a long time as well...but stopped during my addiction. I have started up again and it feels like home. Helping them helps me. It's win/win all the way around.

Next on the list? DIET! I put on a lot of weight being in bed with my percocet for over a year. Time to get back on the treadmill!!!
Old 11-14-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Was lovestruck by drugs

Chery, next on my list is using the elliptical machine I bought myself last year for xmas that is collecting dust. Time to break it in. I have also gained about 50 lbs. from the addiction--eating junk while being high! My dog also needs to lose 15 lbs so we are also going to start a daily walking regimen. We walk now, but not consistantly!
Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

find - we should take before and after pictures once we reach our goal! But, first and foremost...get the addiction under control. Definately nothing wrong with adding in the walking and exercising right now...but make sure you don't overwhelm yourself. Don't put too many demands on yourself this early on in your recovery. One thing at a time...one day at a time.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Was lovestruck by drugs

Right now I am taking 20 minute walks with the dog and then at night I usually come home do some chores, then read or watch some favorite tv programs...and every night before bed I take a hot bath filled with a lavendar mineral soak. Oh, and I have made it a point to make a balanced dinner each night. That's basically a non stressful night for me without my addiction. I think getting myself into a routine is beneficial because it distracts me from thinking about my addiction and urges to use! We should definitely take before and after pics!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I haven't quit yet......but I'm addicted to working out and running, doing 13 miles tomorrow, getting ready for the Marathon