Need some Info

Old 10-24-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some Info

Hi everyone, Im new here. I just need some info on intervention programs that are FREE. Or at least a nice rehab that is free or will accept medicaid in Alabama. See my 46 yr. old sister is on crack and has been an addict since she was 15. She has tried and tried to quit on her own but she cant. She has been in and out of rehabs all her life but she wont let the door hit her in the butt and shes gone! She says the state run ones are just not decent and the workers are very mean to her. Of course Im not sure whether to believe her or not since lying is part of her. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. She not well and really needs to get clean.
Thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

Hi, Endofmyrope,

Have you been to naranon, or alanon?
I strongly suggest you go.
Because, you cannot make or help your sister get clean.
She's been using for over 25 years, and has every excuse in the book - just like my son.

She *can* get clean.
She hasn't gotten clean yet.
There's a difference.
And unless there is some underlying reason,
she hasn't gotten clean because she doesn't want to.
The benefits do not outweight the negatives.

Please get yourself some support.
Live your own life.
That is how it is meant to be.

Shalom!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
Hi, Endofmyrope,

Have you been to naranon, or alanon?
I strongly suggest you go.
Because, you cannot make or help your sister get clean.
She's been using for over 25 years, and has every excuse in the book - just like my son.

She *can* get clean.
She hasn't gotten clean yet.
There's a difference.
And unless there is some underlying reason,
she hasn't gotten clean because she doesn't want to.
The benefits do not outweight the negatives.

Please get yourself some support.
Live your own life.
That is how it is meant to be.

Shalom!
Thanks for your advice. I know what you say is true and I have finally just let her go but theres a part of me that still wants to help her for my moms sake. All anyone can do now is pray for her. Its just so hard to think that she doesnt want to do anything she has to to get clean when I hear the things she does to get it and look at her. She looks like shes on her last leg. The only time she has ever been clean is when she goes to jail. She will stay clean for awhile and then somehow she will get away and get some and not even think about the consequiences. I do know this much, she and my mom are co-dependent. My mom and I hate to say this but she has not been helpful all these years with her addiction. I guess my mom and myself should have been in meetings along time ago. I want to say how sorry I am about your son. I read your post and I will pray for him and you. Thank you for replying and I am glad I found this site for I have no one to talk to about this. Thanks again!!
Old 10-25-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. I can tell you something about what it's like to be a crack addict as I was one, my sons dad is one and I was "friends" with many who are still out there using. Your sister will quit when she is good ready and not a moment before. And it won't matter where she is or what kind of treatment she is in. She will just walk away from the lifestyle because she is done. Nothing you do will help her get to that point - except maybe walking way from her. In fact any "support" you give her will only encourage her addiction. After 20 years of use, she's pretty well caught up in the lifestyle and knows how to manipulate and survive.

The BEST thing friends and family members of chronic crack cocaine addicts can do is to protect themselves and their hearts and focus on the healthy members of their families. That way, should your sister ever choose recovery, get herself into a program and get off the dope, you will still be around. But until then, hands off the addict. The best recovery program is one that YOU work - Alanon or naranon for you and your mother.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
grateful rca

hi, welcome. sorry about your sister but i do agree with kitty and the others. i'm a recoverying crack addict too with a few yrs clean and the only rehab i was ever able to afford was state funded. i think when she is ready, it won't matter what kind she gets into and she will be more than desperate to get in where ever she can. i think the best you can do for her is to take care of yourself. alanon/naranon for you and prayer for her.

what helped me WAS for my family to walk away, allowing me to suffer the consequences of my own actions on my own. today i'm grateful that they did. it wasn't until i became sick n tired of my miserable life that i became desperate enough to want live. i pray that she finds her way soon and i pray that you guys have the strenght to do what you need to do for yourselves.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hello-kitty View Post

The BEST thing friends and family members of chronic crack cocaine addicts can do is to protect themselves and their hearts and focus on the healthy members of their families. That way, should your sister ever choose recovery, get herself into a program and get off the dope, you will still be around. But until then, hands off the addict. The best recovery program is one that YOU work - Alanon or naranon for you and your mother.
That's good advice.

The longest stretch my ABrother (crack and alcohol) was sober was while in the "free" Salvation Army Program. He had gone through all the others, and resisted SA, but we took a "hand off" approach and there he went. He has criticisms of them all. And I think he's back there again. They do a good job, but it's up to the addict.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your advice. Now if I only could get my mom and aunt to stop giving her a place to sleep it off maybe just maybe she will get straight.
Thanks again and I am glad to hear you all are doing well with your addiction!
I'll have you all in my prayers.
:praying