Notices

My expectations vs. hers

Old 09-09-2009, 01:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry My expectations vs. hers

Greetings all,

Thought I would post up my version of "recovery" vs. my wifes, and see if I could get some advice.

I like to drink. I like the way it makes me feel, and I don't do stupid things while I am intoxicated. I will be the first to tell you that I need to SLOW DOWN, but apparently my wifes version of this is that I need to STOP. She drinks on a VERY rare occasion because she has a bunch of medication she is on (things for her allergies, things for her mentality, things to keep her stomach calm, the list goes on and on).

I really liked her before she started taking some of these head meds because she was MUCH more fun. Now she gets home and all she wants to do is eat dinner and sit on the couch (and b**** that her waistline keeps expanding) I want to go out and do, even though I have a pretty serious knee problem related to my time in service. She has no such issue, and I really think if she would get off her meds and get out and do something, a great deal of her issues would fix themselves.

I don't think it's fair that she gets to tell me that I HAVE to quit; I don't get violent, I don't DWI, I just want to have a few beers and not have her B****!!:wtf2
Old 09-09-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mergirl

if there are no problems when you drink, why does she want you to quit?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmm... Not sure where to start here.

I don't do stupid things while I am intoxicated
Do you get intoxicated frequently, how often?

I will be the first to tell you that I need to SLOW DOWN
Have you tried? If so, what was your experience?

I guess I'd like to hear your answers to these questions. Well...OK, ... What is it about your drinking that bothers your wife?... Do you get difficult to talk to? Do you pass out?

Welcome to SR

Mark
Old 09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So your version of recovery is for her to get off her meds? Hmm...thats a new one!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

So quit drinking for a month and see if your marriage improves. If you have no problem with alcohol, that will be very easy anyways. Spend the time you usually spend drinking your beer thinking of new ways to spend time together and get her out of the house, watch movies, take a walk, make her dinner, whatever. If you think you need to slow down, and she thinks you need to quit, what would a month off of drinking do but benefit both of you?
Old 09-09-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Jokerface,

Read over your post and let me know if you think there is anything self-centered in your words.

Thanks.

Keep coming back.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello & welcome to the Sober Recovery community.