Anybody read "The Lost Years"

Old 09-07-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anybody read "The Lost Years"

I just this book where the daughter tells her side of being an addict (starting as a freshman in high school). By age 21 she was on the streets and homeless in San Francisco.

But in between the daughter's story is the mother's story and how her life was going at around the same time as her daughter. The mom had her journey in denial and then into recovery through Alanon.

I found it amazing - amazing of what drugs/alcohol did do the daughter's brain and how it became the center of everything. Amazing how the mom stayed strong with messages of "I love you, call me when you are ready to go into treatment which your dad and I will pay for." My God, what power drugs and alcohol have over the addict's brain - it's a miracle that any survive...

Anybody else read this book?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

During my own " lost year" I read anything and everything I could get my hands on, about addiction. I was sure one of the books could tell me how to fix my daughter's drug problem and find peace.

The song of this forum taught me that there is peace within me. All I have to do is let go of my daughter's addiction.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes, I read it not long after it came out.

I thought it was a pretty damn good depiction of what goes on. My mom had already passed so I could not ask her opinion, but the mom seemed a lot like mine only mine went totally No Contact.

I can tell you that my 22 years out there as a practicing addict were pure "HELL". I can also tell you that being married to 2 alcoholics, one while I was still practicing and another in sobriety was a different kind of "HELL". Just as gambling became his new addiction, he became my new addiction, until my AA sponsor insisted (I say strongly suggested, lol) that I get my butt to Al-Anon and get an Al-Anon sponsor.

It was then and only then that I truly started to realize the devastation that addiction wrecks in evey one's life who is connected to the addict.

I found an HP of my understanding. I do not believe in 'hell' in the hereafter, I've lived it right here.

That being said, I also know, that given 'enough crap' (and it's different what enough is for each person) in one's life, one can get out, find the ladder and climb out, get help and live a pretty dang good life!

J M H O

Love and hugs,