The end of a long hard fought battle...

Old 07-29-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The end of a long hard fought battle...

Well, today I got the decision from the judge in my divorce case against my XAH. The divorce itself took 2 years from the initial filing until the final findings and decision from the court. At the onset, I was told that it would average about 6-9 months at most. I fired my first attorney (she seemed to have a lack of initiative, and I later discovered that she too, had a drinking problem). My second attorney was very able, and did a good job. My AH at the time, after the initial papers were filed on him, disappeared for several months, then showed up in a homeless shelter, where his brother stepped in and sent him off to a baptist treatment compound. He spent 7 months there under their shelter and protected from the outside world. Free of any responsibilities or distractions from the outside world all of that time - so everything was put on standby. I've been told he's sober now - but of course I know better.

Regardless, I view this whole experience as a life lesson. Many things in this world are not fair, and this was one of them for me. My X gets half of everything so the court finds - he's destitute. While he earned 30% of our marital income and I 70% the court found him needy. He's incapable of earning much from here on out, and the judge knew it. So, with the findings, I must come up with this huge amount of $ (several hundred thousand) to pay him off. He walks free of any family obligations, parental responsibilities, with a fat wallet. What is fair about a man who can lie, cheat, beat his wife and abuse his children, lose jobs, wreck cars and reputations — and walk away with his half — which he'd be entitled to IF he had been a real husband and a father? Oh well, like someone said "these situations are nothing more than fertilizer" and I can so agree with that. He'll fritter it away, and be penniless in a years time.

I've learned a lot, survived it, and never gave up my hopes and dreams. They are not diminished. I'm just disappointed in the judicial system — there is NO such thing as a NO-FAULT divorce. They can slice it anyway they care too, and it is still unjust.

Saying that, I believe in karma. What goes around, comes around. His just hasn't come around yet, but it will. In the meantime, I have peace, and no alcoholic in my life from this day forward - a true blessing!

My advice to those of you who are living with an "A", if you aren't married to them, but plan on it... get a prenuptual agreement to protect yourself. Even if you just a little wonder in the back of your mind... "does he have an alcohol problem?" Protect yourself!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

T2,

It's done. I hope you are able to feel a bit of freedom and relief at having it over, and now you can look ahead at your bright and beautiful future. Be gentle with yourself, give yourself some time to grieve the loss of the dream.

Big hugs,
Cats
Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I am glad the legal process has ended for you. That must bring some relief and closure to you.

You are free to move forward with your life and leave this behind you.

Enjoy your life!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your new start. Life is long and there are many chances for peace and happiness ahead.

My lawyer couriered our divorce papers to my office today and I did the whole - maybe i didn't give him enough time, maybe I'm too quick to jump ship, maybe this time it will be different battle in my head. So hard, so sad, so not fair. Got in the car and turned on a praise and worship cd that literally arrived in my mailbox this morning from a cousin. i don't normally listen to praise and worship, but turned it on because she had gone to so much trouble. 2 songs in and I was crying like a baby (after not crying for a week). One song in particular stood out. i can't remember the words but the point was that God didn't promise it would be easy, he promised he would be there when it's hard. I needed to hear that - and realized then that it's a tragic situation and it's not fair and I'll grieve for a long time - but God is here, and I don't have to look farther than my cousin who sent me the cd.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((trying))).....You did it! The hardest part is behind you now and you are free to find that beautiful woman you were intended to be!

Take good care of yourself. Watch the amazing things that are about to occur!
Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes God uses whatever He wants to get thru to us, even a litle CD. Unfortunately some folk don't see his hand in the little, simple things of life and ignore His help. They are looking for the great Sign, a sort of Archangel blowing a trumpet to announce the miracle they need.
Glad you recognised that you got what you needed right on time.
God bless
Old 07-30-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Saying that, I believe in karma. What goes around, comes around. His just hasn't come around yet, but it will.
Oh, I think he has. Would you want to live the way he does? I know I wouldn't wish my AH's life on my worst enemy.

I'm sorry the judgment came out that way Trying2
Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awakening

T2,

Sorry and a little surprised to hear about your outcome.

The court system doesn't "get it" about alkies, that judge just signed your husbands death sentence. About the last thing an active alkie needs is a couple of hundred thousand dollars in his pocket. Your are exactly right, he'll fritter it away in 2 years if he lives that long.

On the other hand, you are finally free.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
gns

Wow, I am sorry!!

I have also suffered significant financial loss through my ex abf (although not as much). HOWEVER, I learned that credits and debts are with God, NOT with my ex. Yes I lost 20-40K through my involvement with ex but god has given me bonuses and raises that my ex did not get and has actually suffered decrease salary etc.

I had a house with ex and ended up losing a lot of money - but having the same amount in savings as I did when I bought the house. Ex ended up with 30-40K less than what he had from his 401k. This proved to me that it was "paper money" and that my credits and debts were with the universe and not a lying, cheating abusing jackass ex.

This is what keeps me taking the high road rather than seeking revenge and justice.

Good luck and congratulations for being free - a bargain at any price!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel so fortunate that, long ago, when I was pleading with my ex to just get married, didn't he love me enough, etc., that he refused. He "never wanted to be tied down again." (yeah, I know...how did I miss THAT red flag?)

After we split, and he had poured his life savings down his throat, he retained an attorney to try to prove that we were common law marriage partners, and so seize half of my assets. I threatened to publish the proof that he had propositioned high school boys via the internet. He never brought it up again. Funny thing.

Had I gotten my wish long ago, I would be in a similar situation as you, trying. What's that song about "thank god for unanswered prayers" ?

What a cautionary tale yours is.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this, but I'm so glad it's over for you. The universe will find a way to repay you many times over for your courage and perseverance.

And Still Waters is dead right. His life will be its own punishment.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for your thoughts and well wishes.

I'm not at all hindered by this decision. I've been given the greatest gift - my FREEDOM!

I am 100% grateful for that.

My plans for the future haven't changed either, in fact, I've broadened them. I've got so much I want to accomplish, so much I want to contribute with my time and talents.

All of this on the heels of a 6 month stint of unemployment would have been too much for the average person to mentally handle. But, I've been made strong by my past troubles, and that strength came in handy the last few months. I learned how to stretch the dollar and then some! I learned how to wake up with a positive attitude, no matter what the day had in store for me!

BTW... my new job is going super! I love it!
Old 07-30-2009, 06:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

my new job is going super! I love it!

Karma is already paying you back!
Congratulations!

Last edited by DesertEyes; 07-30-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: fixed broken font
Old 07-30-2009, 09:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Look at you! You are free and he still has to live with his demons.

I wish I had the courage to really step out of my marriage. 4 kids, 3 still in college, complicate the process for me, so for right now I just have to set my boundaries, rely on my HP, and not let his crazy self and the vodka get in the way of me being safe and happy.

Congratulations on being truly free!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trying2survive View Post
I learned how to wake up with a positive attitude, no matter what the day had in store for me!
Isn't that funny?! I keep getting asked how I can have such a positive attitude, and told how well I've done in coping with the divorce. If only they knew all the skills we've got from living with our A's!

The cloud of opression has been lifted!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ahhh girl - he grew it and he can chew it......he still has to look at himself in the mirror every day ...... you came out the winner on this one.