Notices

Allan Carr's Easy Way

Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Allan Carr's Easy Way

Have you guys ever heard of Allan Carr? He is from England, and known world-wide for his book and program on quitting smoking, called the "easy way". I really wanted to share his philosophy with you guys. I saw a 5 minute program with Allan Carr and his philosophy on how to quit smoking, and I SWEAR I quit on the spot (I didn't even buy his book or attend his program). It has now been 2 months since I quit smoking.

His philosophy: SIMPLE. You must realize that cigarettes do ABSOLUTELY nothing for you. You must get it out of your head that smoking makes you more relaxed, less anxious, etc. The only reason you feel better after smoking is because it is a drug, and you were going through withdrawal after the previous cigarette. That is the only reason people smoke in the first place, to get through the withdrawal from the previous cigarette. When a smoker lights up his next cigarette, he is only searching for the feeling that non-smokers have their WHOLE LIVES.

When we finally have this through our heads: that smoking makes you more anxious, more nervous, etc., and the only reason you smoke is to get rid of withdrawal symptoms, than its time to quit. But in Allan Carr's method, you do NOT need any will power to quit. That is one of the worst traps smokers fall into. He said 99% of withdrawal from cigarettes is purely psychological...because smokers somehow think they are going to go through hell when they quit smoking. He says, "If someone put a tall glass of bleach in front of you...would you need willpower to not drink it?". We must look at cigarettes the same way. We don't need willpower to stop something that is deadly, harmful, and does NOTHING for us.

Now, I am not saying this will work for everyone. But I was a pack a day smoker for 7 years and the minute I heard this I watched it over and over again. Within a day, I quit smoking cold turkey and had almost NO withdrawal symptoms. This was 2 months ago, and I have not picked up the habit since. Here is a link to the thing I watched:

YouTube - Quit Smoking Advice

I hope this helps! I swear it helped me quit!!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I stopped twice after reading Allen Carr's book. It's true what he says, we have been brainwashed as a nation (or nations!) to believe that smoking does something for us. I stopped on my own this time because I already have all the real information.

My philosophy is that stopping smoking is only as difficult as you make it and if you stay positive and focus on other things you will succeed.

I believe it will always be difficult psychologically so I must reinforce my positivity daily. I think that is the secret to staying stopped.... a big change in attitude and this is where I failed in the past.

Allen Carr compares smoking to wearing a pair of shoes two sizes too small just to feel the relief when you take them off........how true!! Smoking does not relieve stress.....it causes it!

I would recommend this book to give anyone an easier start to stopping and also to get their head around the psychological aspect.

So yes, I agree with Allen Carr.....it's easy........but only if you work at it...always!

We discovered that washing/showering is good for our personal hygiene but we have to do it daily or it wont have the same effect....eh?

I believe that by changing my attitude and trying to be positive I can work wonders and the more i do it the better my life gets.

This forum helps to reinforce this.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Anybody else have any luck?

Again, I think his book/philosophy is very discussion worthy, as I believe it will help many recover from tobacco addiction.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link. I'd never heard of Mr. Carr or his book but I thought his ideas about nicotine addiction were right on.
I'm on day 24 of my quit...I ordered his book on Amazon last night and I can hardly wait to read it.
Thanks !!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been quit nearly 4 months now CT.

I definatly put alot of that down to Allen Carr. However, I do still think you need to "want to."

I read his book 4 years before I actually quit. I think if I had not read his book, I would not have been able to quit when I WAS ready.

I highly recommended it
Old 07-31-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I decided I would quit smoking I used a patch (21mg). I used them for 4 daysw and broke out in a bad rash, so I too it off and haven't looked back. That was over two months ago and I haven't had an urge since. I think by the time I made up my mind, that was it, done. The same as getting sober; I was ready..........
Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by outonalimb View Post
Thanks for the link. I'd never heard of Mr. Carr or his book but I thought his ideas about nicotine addiction were right on.
I'm on day 24 of my quit...I ordered his book on Amazon last night and I can hardly wait to read it.
Thanks !!
Hey,

You are very welcome, I wish you much luck on quitting!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

It's a mind blowing book. I read it a couple times and printed it out.