The Power and Freedom of Forgiveness

Old 07-27-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Power and Freedom of Forgiveness

Came across this reading today. It really struck a cord with me and wanted to share it with others.

“Whether the harm that requires forgiveness was an unskillful act that we carried out, hurting someone else, or an unskillful act on the part of another that we felt victimized by, we must see that the act and the actor are not the same thing…Some actions may not be forgivable, but all actors are. For the actor, the person whose own suffering has spilled onto other people, there is always the possibility of compassion. There is always potential for mercy toward the suffering and confused person that hurts another…This allows me to separate the person from the action and truly see the confused being behind the hurt. This was the hardest part: not associating the people with their actions, but seeing them as confused human beings trying their best and failing miserably, just as I had…We can let them back into our heart without ever letting them back into our house.”—Mark Levine
Old 07-27-2009, 11:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
IPT

I needed to read this, thanks. There were a few sentences that I liked.

Originally Posted by MycoolFitz View Post
"For the actor, the person whose own suffering has spilled onto other people, there is always the possibility of compassion. There is always potential for mercy toward the suffering and confused person that hurts another…This allows me to separate the person from the action and truly see the confused being behind the hurt. This was the hardest part: not associating the people with their actions, but seeing them as confused human beings trying their best and failing miserably,”—Mark Levine