Notices

Champagne was staring at me tonight, lol...

Old 07-25-2009, 01:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Champagne was staring at me tonight, lol...

Hi everyone,

Well, tonight was my first night out in a social setting where liquor was involved. I have 3 months today and haven't been around it in that time. I haven't kept it in the house and haven't been around it when I've been out.

It was hard. I asked someone to pour me a glass of champagne, because I figured one small glass won't hurt. I kept looking at the champagne and my glass of water sitting next to it, and as the night went on I just kept sipping the water. I figured if I got through some of the night already without touching the champagne, I can make it through the rest. Someone even pulled me up on the dancefloor and I didn't have a drink in my hand

I handled it pretty well though, but it did feel STRANGE. After 5 years of drinking all the time, I felt like a fish out of water. I was still socialble and had a good time, but it's alot different. I guess it's going to take some time getting used to going out without drinking. I've already started getting used to not drinking at home, so not drinking out is another step in and of itself.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great work sweets
Old 07-25-2009, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marty888 View Post
Great work sweets
Aww thanks Marty
Old 07-25-2009, 01:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through sweets - one small glass would've hurt, cos it's never just one, is it?

well done in turning that around
D
Old 07-25-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sweets,

I could have written this post myself. It's exactly how I feel right now. I no longer drink at home and have successfully tackled that. It's the social events that I'm really worried about. And trying to re-define myself as a non-drinker instead of the person I have been for all of my adult life.

Well, at least I'm not alone in these feelings. I look forward to hearing what people have to say here.

Laura
Old 07-25-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well done for not taking the 1st sip, you know the rest of the story

what im really interested in is the sober dancing bit???? that sounds way too wierd for me.......just keep me firmly too the wall lol

dandare
Old 07-25-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Butterfly, I'm proud of you.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JJB

Well done sweets -you've done so well.

Champagne is still too hard a temptation for me and I avoid any occasions where it will be present.

Like Jane said I think it's all about learning to be a different social animal
Old 07-25-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandare View Post
well done for not taking the 1st sip, you know the rest of the story

what im really interested in is the sober dancing bit???? that sounds way too wierd for me.......just keep me firmly too the wall lol

dandare
Hmm yes I was slightly mortified lol.

It was a bellydancer that dragged me onstage, and I've only had about 4 lessons so far!
Old 07-25-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

im proud of you.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awww thank you all!

Old 07-25-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sweets79 View Post
Hi everyone,

Well, tonight was my first night out in a social setting where liquor was involved. I have 3 months today and haven't been around it in that time. I haven't kept it in the house and haven't been around it when I've been out.

It was hard. I asked someone to pour me a glass of champagne, because I figured one small glass won't hurt. I kept looking at the champagne and my glass of water sitting next to it, and as the night went on I just kept sipping the water. I figured if I got through some of the night already without touching the champagne, I can make it through the rest. Someone even pulled me up on the dancefloor and I didn't have a drink in my hand

I handled it pretty well though, but it did feel STRANGE. After 5 years of drinking all the time, I felt like a fish out of water. I was still socialble and had a good time, but it's alot different. I guess it's going to take some time getting used to going out without drinking. I've already started getting used to not drinking at home, so not drinking out is another step in and of itself.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

- Martin Luther King Jr.

It is not the times of ease that define who we are but the times of adversity. I was always alright when I was in a rehab or halfway. Blocked off from the world. It was when I left or got out that I had an immediate problem.

Good job and your honesty about things is commendable!