Notices

Day Six Almost Over

Old 07-21-2009, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day Six Almost Over

ooooh, that little voice that said... "go ahead, just buy the wine and have ONE glass."

y'all know that voice i'll betcha. I did not buy the wine.

My daughter was with me at the convenience store, we were getting gas. I said jokingly (sort of) "hey when you run into the store pick me up a bottle of wine." she said "mom, you know I am not old enough! and you don't need a bottle of wine." i said "i know i don't NEED one but at the moment i WANT one." then we laughed and drove away.

My daughter is a true blessing. Anyone else have a spouse, child, sibling who is insanely supportive?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(( Rider))
You are doing great, hang in there!
I have a wonderful, supportive son, as well as my husband, we are blessed.
"One day at a time."
Old 07-22-2009, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Rider
Mrs Dee is incredibly supportive - I think I'm the insane one tho LOL

D
Old 07-22-2009, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Faerie

Yeah Rider, I'm blessed with incredibly supportive parents. [did have a fiance but you know about that] I'm so proud of you girl, whoo hoo!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
crazy vampire addict

Good for you on the six days. How wonderful that you can open a dialogue with your daughter and be honest with her. That's fantastic. I have an incredibly supportive 22 year old daughter...I never discussed my addiction with my 13 year old son. He just knows that mommy was "sick" for awhile...but she's all better now. And my husband? Don't get me started. The man was dropped directly into my life by God Himself. I couldnt ask for better in the way of support.

Glad to hear you are doing so well. Keep up the great work!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JJB

yeah that's cute rider!

My daughter unknowingly helps me too when we're out shopping

Me "let's get something nice to drink to celebrate tonight"
my 10 year old daughter "Yeah can we have coke?"
Me " " Good idea"

And that way we all celebrate TOGETHER!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I had a great deal of support from my older kids, but they had been out of the house for several years and had not dealt with me on a daily basis for the years I was at my worst. Count your self lucky, in my early recovery my wife and kids that were still living with me at the time just stood back and took a "We will see." attitude, which to be honest was more then understandable.

I was about 3 months sober when they finally felt kind of safe in telling me they were happy that I was sober and still working on it. Today they are all very supportive, but early on I really had no support at home with the exception that they cancelled thier move out date for a while.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

God, it is just SO MUCH easier with loved one's supporting us. I was thinking about the guy I am in love with who dumped me cuz I was too emotional (uh and showed up at his house slightly drunk although he didn't know about the drunk part). I have a feeling that he would NOT have been supportive if he knew of my problem. He wasn't even supportive and helpful when I moved 2,000 miles. Basically he said "you seem to have a black cloud over you so I am staying away until that disperses." Some friend!
Old 07-22-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm reminded daily that I'm doing this for myself, without my sobriety I'm no use to anyone as a friend or family member. That being said, I have two beautiful children who've supported me through thick & thin, even attending AA meetings with me for a few years, and I have a loving fiancee who works her own recovery programs.

The best thing we can do today is to go to bed without taking a drink. Wake up sober, and we're given another shot at a great day in recovery.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

way to go rider.....are children aren't responsible for our own sobriety but it sure is neat when they help us out ....and often they doont even know the help they give.

mine helped me very much today as well...so thanks for sharing and giving me the gift of being aware of the help i got.

keep up the good work