How is manipulation a control issue?

Old 07-20-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Manipulation is a control issue because:

It can be a "politically savvy" tool to handle over-controlling, intimidating and autocratic people, places or things, by giving the impression that the others have the power when in reality you are freely doing what you need to do in order to politically survive and thus retain control in your own hands.
The goal of manipulation is to control and overpower other people to do what you want them to do for you.
It is the unhealthy use of power tactics to get something for yourself even if it robs others of their freedom of choice, reason and rationality.
It uses control behaviors such as suicidal gestures to blackmail people to do and be for you the way you want them to be.
Sets up over controllers to rescue, as you get away with shifting your responsibility for yourself off on others, you will become more helpless so will seek out "fixers," "caretakers" and "rescuers" to take care of you.
Hooks others since you might be an unchangeable and uncontrollable factor in someone else's life and yet keep that person "hooked" into trying to "be there"' for you when it becomes unhealthy or toxic for that person to continue to do so.
It involves dishonesty, deceit, use of masks, lack of clarity of messages sent, and pretense in order to get people to be the way you want them to be.
It can be a subtle use of control over others since you get them to do for you what they might not have freely chosen to do on their own will.
It is a form of mind control or brainwashing to control the thinking of others in a way which may not be consistent with their previous pattern of behavior, feeling or thinking.
Subversive means to get others to puppet what you lead them to do is use of power and control which is problematic and dangerous for those manipulated.
Survival technique which allows you to retain control of your life to ensure you that no one takes advantage of you.
Power struggle tool, since in any struggle for power and control it is a tool' which is used to catch the other side off guard in order to win the contest.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On a tear

It can be a subtle use of control over others since you get them to do for you what they might not have freely chosen to do on their own will.
Dang... and I was so GOOD at it!

Actually, as I become more aware of the better ways to do things, I realize I have many survivor tools that I brought out of my dysfunctional childhood. As I become more and more aware, and then more willing, I am able to lay down the ones I don't need and convert some of the others into a softer, sweeter form.

After all, one needs just a hint of manipulation to be charming.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

It's weird how manipulative people can be and not even know it. Myself included. I think it has something to do with having wants or needs you need fulfilled by other people, not ever having those needs fulfilled in your past, and being afraid the person will not fulfill those needs. Trying to just get what you want is pretty selfish if you think about it, even if what you want is a "good" or "beneficial" thing. I've been manipulated all my life I think I'm bored when I'm not being manipulated. Sad.