Notices

what is a normal blood sugar reading?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what is a normal blood sugar reading?

hi all, and thanks for having me again- im shandi (im a lurker), i've been good, but sometimes not so much, but if there is anyone that can point me into the right direction as to what a blood sugar reading is that would be normal for a female of about weighing 130 and about 5'2, i took my b/s on my mil machine and it read 105, she told me thats way to high. it confused me. i know we're not supposed to talk about medical stuff, but i thought some input from others would help. thank you!~ shandi
Old 07-15-2009, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shandi76 View Post
hi all, and thanks for having me again- im shandi (im a lurker), i've been good, but sometimes not so much, but if there is anyone that can point me into the right direction as to what a blood sugar reading is that would be normal for a female of about weighing 130 and about 5'2, i took my b/s on my mil machine and it read 105, she told me thats way to high. it confused me. i know we're not supposed to talk about medical stuff, but i thought some input from others would help. thank you!~ shandi
for an average joe 70-110 and it may vary depending on when you ate
Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thats what confuses me, i ate a chicken sandwich and drank an extra large sweet tea, before we took the reading, the sandwich was 2 hrs. before, but the tea i still was drinking when we took it. when i had fasted before supper it was 108. the numbers are confusing! thank you for replying!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

If you have questions regarding a physical condition, for which you are receiving treatment for, please call your doctor and advise them of the current situation. It's not that i do not want to help you, but i am not a qualified medical professional. That's why SR requests not asking anyone here at SR for medical advice.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

in your original post you stated it as 105 which is within the norm unless you have other medical conditions, yes its normal for sugar to go up with you having some food.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I googled this....but, please keep in mind - as you're aware we can't give out medical advice here

You're better off asking your drs advice rather than taking that of yr friend...or any of us.

If you have an existing condition or if you think you have any cause for alarm, pls make an appointment ASAP.

Normal and Target Blood Glucose Ranges

Normal Blood Glucose Levels in People Who Do Not Have Diabetes
Upon waking—fasting 70 to 99 mg/dL
After meals 70 to 140 mg/dL

Target Blood Glucose Levels in People Who Have Diabetes
Before meals 70 to 130 mg/dL
1 to 2 hours after the start of a meal below 180 mg/dL

Source: American Diabetes Association. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes—2008. Diabetes Care. 2008;31:S12–S54.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i've consulted everyone i've know, lol- including my brother that works in the medical field, they all said it was normal, i don't why i was singled out, my mil said i had lost too much weight, and i think its due to some stuff on my mind, and sweating this out (we go on a camping trip for the 4th of july), i get skinny in the summer and i gain weight in the winter- she knows my body type, but she was just diagonsed with diabetes- she's overwieght.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i understand her concern, (kinda), i know its hereditary, my sister was recentely diagnosed, my mother has type 2 which i understand is set off by age, weight factor, we're native american so i know its prone.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've just worked out...mil = mother in law LOL.
I wasn't sure if it was your testing kit.

Advice still stands tho - if you're at all worried, go see a doctor, Shandi
In fact, its always good to have a periodic check up anyway

D
Old 07-15-2009, 10:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

and cover your ears guys, but my period has always been "off" i've always been anemic, my periods are way too heavy, and last longer than they should, i've been told taking regular b/c would correct this. i've always been anemic.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've just worked out...mil = mother in law LOL.
I wasn't sure if it was your testing kit.

no i don't have a testing kit, she took it on hers.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm anaemic too - different reason LOL.

I have to take regular blood tests, in the surgery, to monitor it, but never a blood sugar one specifically.

Hope you do see that doctor - good luck!
D
Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i think i will get a checkup thing, but 105? everyone tells me thats normal, my sister, my mom, and i called the dang clinic! lol please tell me i'm overreacting, my b'f is ready to throw me out of this place- because im a hypoconchriact! and i'm not, i just want to be aware.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

k , all thanks for your input, you helped me out a lot! this is the most helpful site i've found! for support and for everything in between~ thank you, you've helped me.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I had a blood test 2 weeks ago, the doctor insisted! My liver is apparently perfect, there is no indication whatsoever to suggest that i have been drinking the quantites that i have been for 20 years!

The bad news is that my trygliceride count is off the scale, these are the fatty cells in the blood that clog up the arteries and if left unchecked this causes primarily strokes so now i am on medication for 90 days, on a strict diet and guess what he said i am not allowed to drink anymore!

I smoke 2 packs a day which is why i was not given the option to make a lifestyle change and straight onto the meds...

What's my point? Oh yeah go and get a blood test:-)