Notices

I really need to be here....

Old 07-14-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really need to be here....

I am tired of hiding my drinking. Tired of wine. Tired of wasting so much time. I am fully functioning, never miss work, never sleep in, can always function hungover. Great family, great career, don't drink and drive, don't drink during the day... but I know I have a problem. I can't seem to stop. 3-4 glasses or more sometimes a night is too much. I don't need them, the drinking does NOTHING for me, just makes me frustrated. Why do I do this to myself? This is such a nasty addiction.

I am here to help myself. I have got to stop. Now.

Thanks for listening!

Old 07-14-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome 2much,

You have come to the right place. You will find alot of support here. Keep reading and posting. I wish I would have found this site before I let the alcohol get out of hand. Good luck
Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. Glad you found us. Please stick around and do some reading here...it's an awesome place!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to SR. I was where you are about 15 years ago and as different things in my life started to digress the amount of wine I drank increased and my life went further astray. You have to be strong and make a strong effort to stop, by coming here and acknowledging your problem you have taken a bold first step.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Sick and tired of being sick and tired, that's what finally got me here.

Glad you've decided to join us, welcome!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Focus

People here are great. I'm sure you will find it very helpful. Congrats on your decision.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support and information. It's good that you want to stop drinking now before it gets worse or something really terrible happens.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am just like you during the week, that is what I would drink is wine. I function all day in a professional role, I never miss work and all my home responsibilities are done. Now, the weekends are a different story, that is when I binge and don't remember what I did the night before..(most of the time). Drinking all the time sucks, and I wish it was easy to stop, but I am finding that it is not.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to Sober Recovery! Glad you are here. I have found much needed support in just the past couple days which I have been here.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Focus

OH...and too much wine. It really does only get worse. I didn't let it go very long myself either and my 2-3 glasses/night turned into 4-5, turned into 5-6 during the day or at night depending... and that was just when I was alone and my husband wasn't around. I would hate to think what I may have spent on alcohol if I had any income (student). Out with family or friends where there was a larger free supply, I'd easily have at least 9-10 between wine, vodka, tequila and jack and not remember most if any of the night. Nothing good can come of it! Cut it loose now for your own sake and the sake of those around you
Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone - I knew I came to the right place. I need to stop - if not for me, for my family. Not sure if they suspect anything, but who knows. They are very smart. Hubby probably sees it but he is uber-passive and non-confrontational. Me? Totally opposite. Augh. Anyway, I will get my fresh lemons and perrier and start over tonight. I have quit a number of times, and always think I can moderate, but I know now that I cannot drink. Anything. Ever. I come from a long line of addicts and it is my turn to break the freakin cycle. I hope that I can finally do it. My life is getting far too busy with great things to waste time drinking! Anyway, sorry to babble - thanks for all your kind words and I look forward to "talking" with you!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Hello and welcome to the SR community.

Hopefully, your life is not becoming too busy
for you to start attending some A.A. meetings.
Many people have utilized this program as way
to live life beyond their wildest dreams soberly.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR 2muchwine, the sooner one quits the easier it is, quitting is actually the easy part, it is the staying stopped that always got me! I kept starting again after quitting until I reached the point where I was unable physically, or mentally to stop.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Your life sounds like mine, only my drink of choice is beer. Started just having a few each night, but turned into 6-12 some nights. My husband also drinks, but he can stop at just afew. I cant. This is great palce to start. Everyone is really supportive and encouraging.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

2much, if you'd like, go back and read my original posts from a couple of months ago. Thread was called "Time to Wake Up." Insert beer for wine and we were in exactly the same place. Professionals, no drinking during the day, no drinking and driving... We both have young children and come from families with alcohol and addiction issues. I made the same point you did: It's time for the cycle to stop with me!

I too tried to convince myself that I could find some middle moderation ground, but two weeks later, I was back at that 4-6 drinks per night level. Per Taz, I figured it's easier to quit now once and for all than when I'm ready for detox. Spend some time on these boards and you'll read some real horror stories that will help inspire you to stay sober.

I'm at 64 days now, and these boards have helped me tremendously. I've overcome several hurdles, like family gatherings, weddings, and vacations where I've been surrounded by hard-drinking family and friends. I'm trying to avoid such situations, but I'm also becoming increasingly confident that I can get through them when they surprise me. You might find that the people around you who you think are hard drinkers actually drink less when you're sober. At least that's been my experience.

Good luck and stay in touch with the great people on these boards. They've been a tremendous to me.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi 2muchwine! Your post sounds a lot like me. I decided to try getting out before things got bad, so far so good! Glad you found us and I hope you stick around!
Old 07-14-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 2much

welcome to SR - as you've seen already, we're not a bad bunch

Best thing I ever did was quit drinking - not for my friends or for my family - but for me

We all benefited tho LOL
Hope to see you posting more!

D
Old 07-14-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ditto what misstep said! You are in fine company, so welcome!!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR, I too was like you, great job, car, career no DUI's etc etc, and I too thought I functioned perfectly well everyday. Until the times I stopped, then I realized I wasnt functioning as well as I had thought. Hope you stick around you will find all the support you need x