Notices

What defines a "bender"?

Old 06-30-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What defines a "bender"?

So, let's say on a "normal" night you drink 2 bottles of wine. And now from 42-58 units a week you now go to four a week and have 3 units in one night (when on vacation). Is that, in fact, a "bender"? Just curious. Thanks! ;-)
Old 06-30-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't argue different levels of drinking. I don't drink, and that's the committment I've made. If I drank at all, I would be breaking that committment.

As you'll see, however.. there are many definitions/ideas about this.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A bender for me was usually 24/7 for about 3-4 days. Thats why i dont drink anymore.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I don't argue different levels of drinking. I don't drink, and that's the committment I've made. If I drank at all, I would be breaking that committment.

As you'll see, however.. there are many definitions/ideas about this.
Yup.

One beer is too many for me... it would be a 'bender'.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
mergirl

unfortunately no one was around to regulate or count how many shots I had my last bender, and I have no memory. So I will just assume if I take the first one I am f'ed.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

My benders would be like a three day run. That is 72 hours of speed ,weed and booze...non-stop. Nasty stuff fo sure.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for your input. What I will define it is so far is "progress" and not "recovery" and not "sobriety" and not a "bender".

I know it is different for everyone, and I do appreciate so very much your sharing.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
getting there

I agree that it's different for everyone and I think it depends on how far into the disease you are. I used to think finishing my leftover alcohol the next morning was a "bender", until I started adding a couple more bottles of wine throughout the day, plus the next night's drinking, rinse and repeat for a few days. It only gets worse for us unless we stop.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

eh, I like what smacked said. There is no definiton for what a "bender" is. When I was toying with the idea of sobriety/recovery, I would always look at other drinkers and think to myself "oh I am not THAT bad, I don't do X." So while some people enjoy to share their alcoholic bona fides about how much they used to drink, it shouldn't be revelant to whether or not you have a problem. If you are drinking two bottles of wine every night, that sounds like a compulsion and something to deal with. It is easier to rationalize why your problems are less than or not as significant as others as a way to eschew actually confronting the fact you may have a problem. Why are you really asking this question? This is just my opinion, best of luck.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If u have to ask it's probably a bender

one drink is too much
Old 07-01-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just had a bender/relapse this weekend. Saturday night, all day Sunday and Monday until noon then I passed out. It was horrible and I pray I won't have to repeat that anytime soon. One drink is too much.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've never had what you would call a bender, because I never drank in the daytime, around the clock, mornings etc.... I had more of what you would might call binges? Maybe? Then I would recover, and start the cycle all over again. I would say binges are *quite* damaging as well, physically and psychologically, I could tell that even though I was not physically addicted to alcohol, my body was suffering the consequences. I'm so glad I'm doing something to get out that destructive cycle. Bender or binge ... it's all bad.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was curious, too, so looked it up .... definition of bender (according to one source):

"an extended period of drunkenness. Usually implies more than a single night of heavy drinking."

That's kind of what I thought it was.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Define it however you like but two bottles of wine is too much and you have a problem that needs to be addressed for your health.

My binge/bender always start the same way with "the first drink".

Good luck in your recovery.

NB
Old 07-01-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
jimbo

a bender normally last 2 or 3 days in my book lmao

YouTube - Futurama: Bender's Big Score Trailer
Old 07-01-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
TC MI

those were some pretty serious benders. so i quit getting husbands, that helped!!! LOL Funny stuff... me to it is just the wife thing i kicked..