Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

"Tell me, what are you going to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello all. Haven't posted in a while, but felt the need to this morning.

Givelove's signature ask a fantastic question that got me to thinking ...."Tell me, what are you going to do with your one wild and precious life?" (Sorry for "borrowing" your signature question Givelove)

This question got me to thinking a few months ago and helped me to realize that I have always been "going with the flow" and not really understanding and being able to identify what I am going to do with my one wild and precious life.

So, in the spirt of sharing, here is what I have identified in the last few months that I want in and to do with my one wild and precious life. These are some of my goals in life that I am working toward:
Goal #1:
Continue to learn to sincerely love and like myself. Everyday, I'm getting a little better with this one, but have days that I backslide. On the bad days, I always try to have a check-in with myself to get myself back on track.

Goal #2:
Continue to learn how to be happy and healthy on a daily basis. Therapy has been helping keep me focused on myself and helping me to continue the steps that I need to take on a daily basis to be happy and healthy.

Goal #3:
Continue to learn how to be as "drama" free as I possibly can. No matter how hard I try to avoid "drama" it seems to always find me, but I am now working on a daily basis to just not engage in it. Mary J Blige's song "No More Drama" is now my theme song in life!

Goal #4:
Continue to learn how to surround myself with people who are healthy and happy. If I see red flags from a person now....I turn and walk the other way.

Goal #5:
Continue to work on identifying the things that I want in my life and set goals to achieve them. A year ago, I was lying in the proverbial gutter with an alcholic that I allowed to mentally and emotionally abuse me to the point where I thought I was going crazy and I had no idea of how to get out of bed in the mornings, much less plan for the day and my future. Today, I am patiently identifying what I want my life to look like and am planning and steadily executing those goals...even if they are at a snails pace.

OK....now that I've shared a few of my thoughts/goals as to what I want to do with my wild and precious life....I would love to hear what the rest of you want to do with your wild and precious lives?

Hugs to you all!
Old 06-11-2009, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Great post, thanks! I'm almost exactly where you are, trying to figure out where I'm at, and where I want to be.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm gonna be the only 80 year old grandma on the roller coaster.....and between now and then I plan on laughing 'til I cry AT LEAST 3 times a week!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
“Happiness is an attitude. We either make ourselves miserable, or happy and strong. The amount of work is the same.”
~ Francesca Reigler

“Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.” ~ Unknown Author

“Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.”
~ Rabindranath Tagore

"Freedom is the oxygen of the soul." ~ Moshe Dayan

"Let us dance in the sun, wearing wild flowers in our hair."
~ Susan Polis Shutz
Old 06-11-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I grew my wings to fly...

I am right where you are at too. Setting boundaries are my biggest things. The red flags have been popping up all over the place, and when I see even ONE I walk away. I never looked for red flags before, I just accepted people at face value, ignoring my own value. Today I am a different woman, a WAY different woman!. THANK GOD!. The DRAMA is something I tend to avoid too, even in my family. I like my space, I like my quiet time, I like to be alone. WOW, my counselor would be amazed to hear me say that. When I first started going over a year ago I was terrified of being alone, now I long for my alone time.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am going to continue to make every effort to keep my dreams and fears for the future in their proper perspective and live THIS moment the best I can.

L
Old 06-11-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Great thread!! It cheered me up today.

Avoid drama?? what do you mean?? in which language are you speaking?? LOL

Feet firmly on Earth but eyes high on the sky
Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

One of my current goals centers around this little story that someone wise once told:

Picture your life as a glass of water, and the trauma that comes into it as salt.
If you take a spoonful of salt and stir it into that glass of water, it has a huge impact on it, and makes it nasty and undrinkable.
But if you take that same spoonful of salt and stir it into a clear mountain lake, it has virtually no effect at all.
We can't control the salt -- bad things ARE gonna come, it's just life.
But we can control the size of our vessel by becoming involved in much more than just the life of one person, or two people, to the point of obsession.

My current goal is to broaden my life, stretch it out wide with other things I love to do. I am going to school, I am volunteering here, I am working. I am teaching myself about gardening so I can grow some of our own food. I am teaching the little girl down the street how to train her new puppy. I am taking classes in how to identify the plants and animals around here. I take little cheap evening workshops on things that interest me - wine, dreams, goal-setting, yoga. I write down things that I might be interested in trying, and then I save up money to do them.

I am trying to become a big, big body of water so that virtually no amount of salt can make me feel toxic again. It is hard work sometimes, but it's how I want to live and die.

Wild & precious indeed!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tonight, my kids and I caught lightening bugs. Do you know how long it's been since I've caught lightening bugs?!

Now they are sleeping all snug in their jammies with their jars clutched tightly. I'm thankful that they have many years ahead to mold their wild and precious lives into what they dream them to be. I feel honored to be their mom. It feels good to be present for them and not preoccupied with my A.

Thanks for reminding me that this life is precious. I am awakening to it more and more every day. And if anyone has the answer to the question of the night......"Do bugs poop and pee?", I'd appreciate it! Curious (5 year old) minds want to know.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, but it's so tiny you can't see it!

Honestly, I don't know if that's the right answer, but it sounds reasonable enough to me!

L
Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Blessed4x-- A GREAT book for kids by Taro Gomi Everybody Poops.
Hilarious, and my kids loved it when they were that age. Yes, bugs poop!

Hmmmm....what am I gonna do with my one wild and precious life??

Enjoy every sandwich!

Hopefully keep growing and changing.

Keep an open mind.

The past is gone. I am free in this moment.

...and whatever it is I think I am going to do...I know that right now, today I am doing something....so what I do with my one precious life will be the sum of all my choices, made each day, for good or bad, my choice. No excuses.

...........hmmmmmmmmmm...
peace,
b