Notices

Annoyed

Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Annoyed

This may seem trivial, but it's driving me crazier! LOL

I have been sober now for over 15 months and had pretty much quit having drinking dreams except for on the rare occasion.

Over the last week, I have had awful nightmares about drinking. They seem real and I wake up so scared; although relieved, and I actually feel a bit hung-over for the first 30-45 minutes after I wake up.

I have no desire to drink, I barely even think of it anymore. I can't figure out what all these awful dreams are about.

Has anyone else experienced these?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi TooMutch. I've been sober since 9/07 and I've had 2 drinking dreams in the past month and they upset the heck out of me as well! So I guess it's normal.... I once heard that dreams represent our biggest fears or our greatest desires so I choose to look at the dreams as a fear because I certainly don't want to drink. Try reminding yourself of some of the other crazy dreams you have, I try to do that and it helps to put the drinking dream into perspective.

Judy
Old 06-05-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamdls View Post
Hi TooMutch. I've been sober since 9/07 and I've had 2 drinking dreams in the past month and they upset the heck out of me as well! So I guess it's normal.... I once heard that dreams represent our biggest fears or our greatest desires so I choose to look at the dreams as a fear because I certainly don't want to drink. Try reminding yourself of some of the other crazy dreams you have, I try to do that and it helps to put the drinking dream into perspective.

Judy
Thanks Judy, The odd thing is I haven't had a dream without drinking in it for a week. If only I could dream of a monster coming out of my closet... LOL
Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there Toomuch!

I can relate! I have been having these dreams a lot lately. I am only 53 days sober though so that may be it. I, too, kinda feel hungover after I awake. I am not craving alcohol and am really starting to feel "comfortable" with admitting that I am an alcoholic. It is actually quite disturbing. I am also very cranky lately too. In wonder if the two are related? It is obvious that alcohol is still front and foremost in my mind - even after 53 days sober.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I have found that even after all the years sober I have that I will still get them. I have been able to figure it out somewhat.

They occur either while I am EXTREMELY STRESSED over some life issues or just after as the stress is subsiding or directly after.

You have just recently been in some EXTREME STRESS, with your F-I-L and trying to be there for your hubby, etc in addition to your 'normal' stresses with your health.

I personally would suspect this is the 'aftermath'. They will subside and disappear again.

They can however, be very disconcerting. Waking up, sitting on the side of the bed, asking myself, "well did I or didn't I" because they are so REAL.

I am glad you posted this, it will give you some great 'feedback' to know you are 'not losing it' honest.

Love and hugs,
Old 06-05-2009, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

i have vivid dreams not just of using, but also of many other things! i've learned that sometimes my dreams are affected by a nagging conscious. After waking up and catching my breath, i look for truth that the dream may have exposed. This helps me to deal with something i have forgotten about or put off. Sometimes, my dreams are generated from the comings and goings of the day mixed with similiar situations from the past. i look at it as my mind's way of readjusting itself from the day. Then, there are those times that my dreams make no sense whatsoever! They're kind of like a mixture of unreality and emotions combined together with weird fantasies. These are the ones that bother me the most. But i've remember that dreams can't hurt me and sometimes can't be figured out. i also have come to recognize that my dreams can also be affected by what i have eaten during the day or especially, right before going to bed. They're also affected by what i have seen, either on TV or throughout my day. And, of course, they are intensely affected by whatever emotions i have experienced during that day.

i have always struggled with having dreams, nightmares, and the like all during my life. They were really bad when i was using and often i wouldn't sleep for days because i was afraid of what my mind would conjure up when i was most vulnerable (during sleep). It felt like i was strapped into a chair at the movies without being offered popcorn!!

i have come to accept that my mind's ability to dream will always be with me (even though i wish that God would remove that!). It's not as difficult anymore because i have learned how to change my perspective of what i have dreamed about the night before (instead of letting it bother me all day long). They are what they are for whatever reason, regardless of what they actually mean. i have found it very useful to pray before i go to sleep and ask that God protect me no matter what i dream. After waking up, i pray that God continues to care for me and guide me thoughout my day. It helps me to keep my focus and let go of what i do not understand or comprehend.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had my first drinking dream last night. (sober 2 weeks today!) I woke up with this huge sense of shame. Plus everything in my dream got messed up after I dream drank. Lost my luggage, my keys, cell phone, was trying to hide it from my friends, etc. I'm going to take it as my brain reminding me of how bad drinking makes me feel and act.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Suzette,

I have heard from many others that's it incredibly normal to have these dreams. Even years into sobriety. Even decades. I don't know if that helps or not.

What I try to tell myself is that it is just my body cleaning out the debris from my alcoholic days. So that's a good thing. Getting all of that swept out. And sometimes, it blows back in - subconciously - and our minds need to sweep it back out again.

The dreams remind me of the consequences, the shame, and the misery of being an active drunk. There's value in that. I'll accpet the value of them even as they give me discomfort. Even when I didn't realize I needed to be reminded.

If I can experience these dreams as a positive, then they are no longer such an affront to my composure.

I think this is a really normal experience that we almost all suffer with. So thank you for posting it....

Love to you, Emilie
Old 06-06-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm not sure if this relates to your situation but... I have 'depression' and there are A LOT of times where my depression-ridden inner mind exhibits destructive behavior... dreaming about harmful activities is one of the ways it shows itself.

After I get through it I have a sense of gratitude that I can recognize it for what it is.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, I had another one last night. I have been experiencing some anxiety, maybe that's the reason why I'm having them. The one I had last night wasn't as disturbing as the others.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Suze, So long as you wake up scared and relieved, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HA!! I still have them every once in a while but they are different then they were before. Now they seem like a test while I'm sleeping where before it was all fear and I'd be dreaming that I'd be drinking and wake up freaking that I ruined by sobriety. Now it's like I'm around it and I'm testing myself?? Eh......

As for the waking up feeling hung over, lol!! I wake up like that a lot still, almost running into walls and swerving all over the place. Cup of coffee and cold water to the face seems to help that.