Notices

51 days...... Sober!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

51 days...... Sober!!!

I did not think I would come this far to be honest as I tried several times before and didn't last after a week or less.

I think what has kept me going is firstly my daughter and secondly I haven't fallen for and I will not fall for the I will onlyhave 1-2 drinks trap. I used to do that and I would think 1 or 2 drinks won't hurt and then those 1-2 drinks will end up being 10 drinks. I'm the kind of person who can't stop at 1-2 drinks. My sister said to me why can't you have one drink and stop, she doesn't understand how 1 drinks triggers me to drink more, so it's best for me not to have any alcohol at all.
I'm actually feeling heaps better, still having some anxiety though, but waking up not feeling like crap is great. These last 51 days has been the most emotional, physical and spiritual experience of my life. For the first time I am actually figuring out who I am and what I want to do with my life. I'm tired of living under peoples shadows, which I think is one of the reasons I started to drink. I was never allowed to express my feelings or how I felt so I ended up turning to the bottle. I am on the process of healing and that will take up time. I now know that it is Ok to be me.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know of your progress.....
Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Maz!

51 days for me today too! Awesome!

I can totally relate to what you are saying. The reason why we can't stop at 1 -2 drinks is because we have a disease called alcoholism. Most normal drinkers cannot understand this.

It is almost like I have had to "train my brain" to think differently. Afterall, I have been a drinker for 25 years - all of my adult life. It is hard to think of having any fun without alcohol being involved. The longer I am sober, the more I see that this is untrue.

The people on this site and in my AA group inspired me.

Congrats on 51 days! and keep coming back!

Old 06-03-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maz09 View Post
I will not fall for the I will onlyhave 1-2 drinks trap. I used to do that and I would think 1 or 2 drinks won't hurt and then those 1-2 drinks will end up being 10 drinks. I'm the kind of person who can't stop at 1-2 drinks.
This describes me perfectly. Great job on 51 days. You're twice as far along as me, but I think we're both in a good place. You're doing great!