Notices

Nicotine patch making it worse?

Old 05-23-2009, 12:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nicotine patch making it worse?

I started using the nicotine patch system on Wednesday. Starting with the 21mg. I went 1 1/2 days with pretty much normal quitting smoking feelings. Same anxiety, stress, feeling like murdering everything in sight, including things like office chairs.......Anyway today at a meeting I completely forgot I was wearing my patch and bummed 6 cigarettes in a row during a meeting. (In missouri they still let people smoke inside.) I realized what I was doing about the 5th chain smoked cig in, but I felt fine, well great actually, so I smoked another. Then bought a pack on the way home. Camel 99 full flavor. My favorite. I just kept chain smoking with the patch on. I did take it off when my heart started to beat weird, but I still just want to rip them open and suck out the nicotine. I've never felt more like smoking in my life. Is this something I should talk to a dr. about?
Old 05-23-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
totfit

Sounds like typical addict behavior to me. It is unbelievable that smoking is still allowed in AA meetings anywhere. If folks are still smoking they may be able to say they are sober, but no way in hell "clean" and sober.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know. I used to smoke a little over a pack a day, and I used the patches to quit. I'd tried to quit cold turkey before, but I wasn't really ready to quit..I was just doing it to save money. This time I WANTED to quit, so there was a huge difference.

My first 2 days, I didn't crave smoking as much as I didn't know what to do with myself...I missed the smoking behavior..it was like "WTF do I do with my hands, now?" PLEASE don't smoke with the patches on. There is such a thing as nicotine toxicity and it's dangerous (I used to be a nurse).

I used the patches for 4-5 weeks, tapering down and have been off of them at least 2 weeks and haven't smoked in 7 weeks. Like I said, though, my heart was in this quit and I think that made all the difference.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-23-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

You should NOT be smoking and wearing at patch at the same time, or in close proximity. Very dangerous.

I was (am) a pure hardcore nicotine addict. I alternated between being addicted to the nicotine in cigarettes and then the nicotine in the patches. I'm surprised the patches do nothing for you. Either one was fine with me and I spent long periods of time doing one or the other. I'd go months on the patches, stop, then relapse. Or months smoking, then try to "quit" with the patch, and then relapse...

What a horrible cycle...

The only lasting relief I ever found was to suffer the withdrawals for a few days (it sucks) and then just ride it out while my mind and body adjusted to life without nicotine. The cravings went away and life returned to normal. I think this time, I will be able to never put nicotine in my body ever again. It's been over six months. For me, an important part of that has to do with not drinking. Drinking and smoking go together as does drinking and bad decisions and smoking is a bad decision.

I wish you well. There is life after smoking, trust me, and it's great.

It's just hard to get there.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah,it's pretty tough,hey? You have got to want to stop with no second
thoughts.I used 2mg gum{and still use sometimes when the going gets tough}
I have 183 days clean and I am dammed if I'm gonna fail,bugger it,I sick to
death of the smelly,foul,rotten sh#t......See ya...Oz.. :wtf2
Old 05-25-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well I'm 1 1/2 days into no nicotine at all. I was visiting my brother in the hospital and got in a fight with his wife and passed out, my bp was 200 over something, I guess I could have had a stroke. Anyway, I sure caught hell from all family and dr.'s alike and they put me in the night for observation. It was scary enough that I hope I can make it through this physical withdrawal period. I feel so stupid for the awful things I've done to my body. I really do want to quit smoking, with my brother here recovering from surgery I'll at least have someone policing my every move, which is a good thing right now. The physical withdrawal for me is HORRIBLE. I'd rather go through alcohol detox again as crazy as it sounds, and mabye it is that crazy....... I just don't want to be addicted to anything anymore, I know I'm very prone to addictive behavior and I'm trying so hard to change. I'm sure some people on here understand.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

UGH the urges are killing me. They're way more consuming than the urge to use alcohol/drugs. I do have some nicotine gum but I'm not supposed to take ANY nicotine in any form after what happened. Of course the junkie part of me is sounding off saying that they are only trying to scare you to keep you from smoking. I'm like this lady's story I saw on headline news a year or so ago, she wanted to be put in jail for a week so she couldn't smoke. I've been trying to quit for over a year now and it's harder than anything else I've gone through. It's driving me INSANE!!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm just venting........these urges hit like every 3 minutes. STRONG. They tell me it takes 3 days to get the nicotine out, given I overdosed on it I'm figuring mabye longer, who knows. I'm wanting to rip off my skin, considering getting out the razor and india ink and carving some nice patterns into my thighs. I won't but it sure sounds like relief. I just have to make it another 72 hours and things should start to let up. 72 more hours sounds like forever right now............................................... .........................
Old 05-25-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry,hang in there,I no what your going thru,I do,it's a pisser!
Keep your sugar intake up and relax with a book,fruit and orange juice..
Those F##king smoke companies have got a lot to answer for but you
will have the last laugh,soon!
Best wishes...Oz..
Old 05-26-2009, 02:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's true that you've got to really want to stop with every fibre of your being. If you want to you will. If you believe 100% that the patches will work then they will.

If you believe 100% that acupuncture will work, then it will.

If you believe 100% that it's going to be hell, then it will be hell.

If you believe 100% that you will succeed then you will.

Your choice.....Good Luck
Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Kooks has got a good point. Yeah, it's tough, but lots and lots of people have done it, so it's not impossible.

I'm not downplaying it, as I DO remember trying to go cold turkey. I actually made it 2 weeks, but I just wasn't ready to quit.

Try a little self pep talk, if it helps.."I can do this", "I'm not gonna let a damn cigarette control me", stuff like that. It took me 2-3 days to get past trying to figure out what to do with my hands, and getting used to doing things I associated with smoking, which was practically everything, now doing them without a cigarette, but it was just different..not impossible.

Good luck!!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys. I'm still nicotine free! Last night was B**** but I was so busy today that it wasn't nearly as bad. Hopefully I can get to sleep ok tonight, night is the worst time for me... I know I'm so close to getting the actual drug out of my body and like you guys said, when you really want to quit you quit, with whatever method you choose. I'm going to quit. I'm done. I do stick the $7 I'd spend on 2 packs a day into a jar for now and I think I'll buy an Ipod when I save up enough in it, or pay medical bills......

I do kind of feel like I'm whining all on this post. I've tried to quit before but I was never this serious about it. I want it all out of my body, the smell out of my clothes and car and house, and the money I waste on something that hurts me. It's just such a weird craving that's not at all like my cravings for drug/alcohol abuse. I went through some really hell withdrawals before and this isn't really physically bad at all, besides the bigtime mood problems. No shakes, vomiting, seizures, feeling like my heart is going to explode, etc. I made it through all that I can ride this out. And I'm SO glad my brother is around all the time (he's still recovering from surgery) to talk to an distract myself with, and also his support. He hates smoking. I thank god that he's around right now, even though it is kinda a pain to take care of him and drive him everywhere. It's honestly a blessing right now, I wish it we could have re-established a relationship before something like major surgery and other issues made it happen.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, you're doing great!! I, too, thought quitting the cigarettes was far worse than quitting my DOC (crack). However, it really didn't take long to get past the "WTF do I do with myself" stage and start to feel like a non-smoker.

I still live in a house with 2 people who smoke, I guess I'm crazy, but I allow a friend to smoke in my car. None of this bothers me..I'm just so glad I'm not the one who's doing the smoking!!

Keep up the good work!!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know what you mean amy. I'm antsy tonight, still haven't tried to go to bed. I'll start my little routine here shortly, I don't have to get up too early. The urges just keep getting less and less. And I've taken to eating a pickle when I'm really craving a cig, I don't know why but it helps. I also have been doing TONS of design work to keep my hands busy, which honestly only puts more cash into my pocket. My will-power is holding up! I am coughing really bad though, but I read somewhere that it's normal.

Thanks
Jon
Old 05-26-2009, 10:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((Jon))) - I think the cough actually gets worse even a couple of weeks after we quit, but that supposedly IS normal. Just our body's way of getting rid of the bad stuff. Drinking more water and juices flushes it out a bit faster.

I'm impresed at how well you're doing!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks Amy. Today was alot easier and I took some mucinex to help get the crud out of my lungs faster. I can deal with the cough, the cravings are getting so much easier to handle and I'm really motivated to quit this time. I had some bad moments today but I ate my way through them. OK not totally healthy but I'm underweight and I can use the calories. Just a habit I shouldn't be starting either I guess. Who knows, whatever gets me to keep of the smokes!
Jon
Old 05-27-2009, 11:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is great news....* ** Oz..