What brings you happiness?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What brings you happiness?

I am so grateful that i dont have to rely on getting "things" to feed my spirit and feel good. Its hard to watch someone else do that. Especailly when money is very tight. And guess what happens after the high from the new thing wears off. Yep that's right... a crash, a feeling of emptiness. And then off they go looking for the next thing. (okay you can probably tell I need to work on a little resentment here, duh!)

I can find joy in the littlest things. Tonight while sitting outside of starbucks I saw this little bird giving himself a dirt bath! Have you ever seen that? its really remarkable and quite beautiful. He rolled and fluttered his feathers all in the dirt over and over agian. It put a smile on my face and gave me such a warm feeling inside.

Well I just had to share what was weighing on me tonight. I know I've got some work to do on my attitude. thanks for listening.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I live in the Rocky Mountains. All I have to do is look out the winjdow.

better yet - to be able go out and stand in it.
Snow, rain, sunshine, wind ... whatever.

You can still see the Milky Way where I live.

It's hard to live here and not feel connected to something greater than yourself.
I think it might be like that living next to the ocean as well.

How great to be able to notice the miracle that we're here at all, huh?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The inside "me" matching the outside "me."

This brings me serenity.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It comes and goes for me, just like other emotions. Unfortunately its not something I can hold on to or control.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Knowing I was put here to do something bigger, to "make a difference that I've lived at all" (even if I don't yet fully know what that is) ..that puts a fire inside me that burns through adversity.

The little dog curled next to me snoring, the teapot steeping on the counter, the stack of books from my library, the pleasant tiredness in my legs from digging in the garden today, the night birds outside the window, the sound of the neighbor's guitar wafting down the street. This crazy world that allows me to come here to SR tonight and 'talk' to people a thousand miles away who understand me.

All of these things bring me happiness tonight.

((( jehnifer ))) Be happy for who you are.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I'm the same jehnifer, the natural things make me smile a lot. The number of hummingbirds here is amazing, and what amazing little creatures they are.

I remarked to a friend in England (via IM) that I had about 12 cardinals in the back the other day, and he wanted to know if we were having some sort of conference for priests. I didn't know England didn't have cardinals.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love when my cat snuggles up to me and purrs and I love to hear the rain on the roof. I enjoy watching an approaching rainstorm or the sun coming up when I sit on the porch. Nature also makes me smile and my heart sing.

Most of all I love the knowledge that I have a HP who is in charge of it all and who is in control and wants what is best for me because he/she loves me and I matter.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I love the way my son looks at me and his mother. No concerns in the world, that brings me peace in a hectic world.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I love feeling the sun on my skin, watching stars, doing yoga and wonder at this extraordinary machine that is my body! a bath with the little window opened, singing... LOL

In my opinion, if you are not sensitive enough to see all these little things, you are missing the most valuable things in life!! How can you live and see all this and NOT enjoy it? it is beyond me.

The birds chirping and playing with water, how beautiful, I am glad you were able to appreciate that. I bet no other person at the starbucks even noticed. It takes someone special
Old 05-25-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm an outdoor person, and being outdoors makes me happy. My animals also make me happy, the dogs and horses. The best part of my day starts early, when I open the barn door and all the horses neigh "hello!, where's my oats?" I even enjoy the physical work of cleaning up after them, and think I've done some of my best "thinking/problem-solving" while cleaning the barn.

Something else simple that gives me joy is a fresh cup of coffee and some hot buttered toast.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

mmmmmm......first to my mind is clean sheets and a good book, and yes, a rainstorm.....yep, I snuggle with books
a good meal
peace and quiet
seeing kids interested in good things and smiling...
Old 05-25-2009, 03:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Trees. REAL trees like we have back East. Huge maples, oaks, and elms.

Rain falling on the leaves of the trees. Watching the branches move as a summer thunderstorm approaches.

The sound of birds at dawn.

Sitting on the dock of the bay - the Chesapeake Bay, that is - and crabbing with my traps set. Then eating those fantastic blue crabs I catch!

The silence of snow falling on bare tree branches.

Christmas lights.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

blue crabs???!!!

I am on my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

live, I just read on a website that they're going for $235 a bushel this weekend. I distinctly remember buying a bushel for $35! Of course, that was way back in 1980!

Crabbing doesn't require a license. However, we have to carry a measuring device because the crabs must be a certain size from tip to tip or we have to throw them back. And the fine for keeping smaller-than-regulation size is $200!

I spent entire weekends sitting on a dock with four large traps. And talk about good eatin' ... My house alway stunk like crabs and Old Bay seasoning during the summer months. Summers on the Bay ... we Baltimorons call it "the land of pleasant living."
Old 05-25-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was just thinking this. About how I am now seeing life in technicolor. Is this normal, after coming out of the codie-fog?

I'm literally stopping and smelling the flowers (!).
Life seems more vivid, and absolutely precious.

I can tell my kids sense it.
A renewed 'lightness'.

Endless things are a source of happiness:
friends, sunshine, the flowers, fresh food at farmer's market, kids laughter....

Great post
Old 05-25-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Anvil,

You sound awesome!

Cuban sandwiches and homemade fries....YUM!

Miss
Old 05-25-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Robinsfly,

This spring I feel that lightness you speak about. I am in my dad's house now and walking through the streets, seeing the homes and smelling the flowers is very soothing.

Miss
Old 05-25-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was told to my face most of my
childhood by my mom that I was
never happy. Never satisfied.

Havin heard that so often I believed
it.

I believed those words all the way
up until I met my now husband over
a yrs ago.

This man was placed in my life when
least expected. He is a gift in recovery
for me.

We did get married this past Feb. on
Valentines Day.

Anyway....he has helped me understand
and realize that i am worth it. I am
someone special. That I am strong,
confident and wonderful person.

He helped me raise my self esteem
level from low to high. He's helped
me believe in myself. To stand up
for myself.

That has brought new meaning of
happiness in my life.

Followig the principles of a recovery
program and incorperating them
in my everyday affairs has brought
me much happiness.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have a morning ritual to make fresh Coffee. It is like the Japaneese Tea Ceremony. Very formal with precise movements (even though I made it all up). I measure and grind a precise amount of French Roast Coffee Beans (from Starbucks) and brew them with bottled water in a French Press or Automatic Drip Coffee Maker. Splenda and Sugar Free French Vanillia Creamer complete the experience. It's to die for.

I figured if I had dangerous and unhealthy rituals to purchase, conceal, and consume inordinate quantities of alcohol, I should replace them with a healthy and uplifting ritual of my own making. The Morning Coffee Ritual.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
May it be

Location: A new day. Today I just see bright colors, in the small world of my dreams.
morning coffee, afternoon tea, sometimes a nap, listening to the rain, the color of green in the spring, wildflowers, reading a good book, listening to music online (harmonica chords), a cat's purr...

"If you cannot find peace within yourself, you will never find it anywhere else."
~ Marvin Gaye

"There are some days when I think I'm going to die from an overdose of satisfaction."
~ Salvador Dali