Notices

coming to terms

Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coming to terms

Im still relatively young. Im only 24. and i love going clubbing.. but drink is ruining my life and studies, and causes a lot of anxiety.

Im scared of losing myself by not drinking.. I have the best times of my life when im out drinking with freinds.

I feel like my identity is closley linked with drink.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Woody,

Since you posted in the Step 1 thread, I'm guessing that you are trying to get a grip on whether or not you need to quit drinking or whether or not you are an alcoholic. AA's Big Book gives a couple of guidelines for diagnosing oneself on page 44.

"We hope we have made clear the distinction between the alcoholic and the non-alcoholic. If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic."

It goes on to say that if you are alcoholic you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer. That's left for later steps.

It is important to know what that definition of alcoholic means in terms of the Big Book. The first 3 chapters give a pretty good description of the physical craving and mental obsession associated with alcoholism.

BB Quotes, 1st Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 06-05-2009 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Source added per SR guidelines
Old 06-05-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You sound like a very smart person. Get help, you are young. Change your friends. Don't let alcohol get you. I will pray for you.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hazelgirl......prayers coming your way
Blessings to you and your family.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

couldn't agree more with you Woody, I'm only 25 and my entire adult life has been a fantastic time of benders involving drink and drugs but i have lost jobs i loved and come clost to losing some dear friends completely and dropped out of uni (before they kicked me out) and i honestly don't know if i even have a personality underneath the hedonistic drinking clubbing drug-taking because its been going on since i was 14 or so. I'm scared- what if I'm really boring or life becomes really boring? i love the craic so much and i'm not sure if going for a run or taking up painting is gonna cut it?!