Notices

43 Days and Counting [electronic cigarette]

Old 05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

43 Days and Counting [electronic cigarette]

I bought an electronic cigarette with the idea that I'd replace smoking with it, and it worked. I've only had one urge for a smoke, and that was more of a location issue (just finished eating, wanting to go outside to smoke). Puffing on my e-cig fixed the craving quickly.

I started out with a medium solution of liquid nicotine, that's 11mg and have now gone to low 6mg. I cut that down even because I mix my own flavors from an unflavored nicotine base so I would estimate I'm at about 3mg.

I could probably go to a no-nicotine solution with no problems, and I think I'll do that as soon as I have a free mixing bottle handy.

For me, I think, the hand to mouth habit was a large part of my addiction to cigs...and the electronic cigarette gives me that. It also gives me the feeling of inhaling smoke and the whole "smoke thing"; blowing it out etc.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with it. No ashtrays in my home or vehicle. No smoke smell.

For those who have not heard of them, E-Smoking 101.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Thanks for sharing the info and your experience. I've seen those a few times at the AA meetings I attend, and while they seem a little funky I think it's great if it can help someone quit.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's the combustion, and the smoke that is so very harmful for smokers. If you can get the nicotine minus the bad stuff, well...it's a good thing. For me anyway.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Looks interesting...kinda pricey to get started, but probably a money saver in the long run; and with so many places banning smoking, we'll probably be seeing more and more of these things around.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I got mine for about $28, so less than a carton of smokes. Prices vary a great deal with the suppliers here in the US - people jumping on the bandwagon I guess. I buy mine straight from China - they're all made there anyway.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

You got the entire start-up kit for $28.00? Got a link?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you are tired of cigarettes but having a hard time quitting, then this product may be for you.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Life!

I'm quit now again for Five days, 4 hours, 33 minutes and 32 seconds. 103 cigarettes not smoked, saving $31.14. Life saved: 8 hours, 35 minutes. If I relapse one more time, I am going for this e-sickarette. I was looking at it before. And yes, the hand and the whole smoking behavior plays a big role with me too.

Thanks for sharing!

Shalom!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is not enough clinical or FDA safety data on these "E-Cigarettes" vaporizing these chemical mixtures and deeply inhaling them into lungs may be no better off then smoking a normal cigarette (these devices are another delivery form for "free-base nicotine". I urge anyone wishing to quit smoking, to quit nicotine. True freedom comes when being free from nicotine and all it's various delivery devices.
I am only speaking from personal experience and sharing that with this group. I have been free from nicotine for 254 days.

Bottom line for me is this. There is never ever an excuse for me to smoke. I choose to be a non smoker and I alone am totally in control over if I choose to pick up a cigarette.

No matter what is going on in the world around me, in my family, in my personal life, work life etc. Nothing will change for the better by me breaking my quit and "re-lapsing" to the deadly nicotine. It WILL kill me, and it is a generally slow horrific death that will put myself and loved ones through tremendous emotional and physical pain.

If I just remember just how severe the repercussions of "having just one" cigarette will have on me and how quickly I will go back to a pack a day and how painful it will be to attempt to quit again and go through another nicotine detox, I quickly come back to reality and choose to be in control of my life and my choices (as much as I can, obviously there are many things in life that we cannot control but choosing to pick up nicotine and smoking is something we have control over)
Old 05-23-2009, 08:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry SeekSobriety - there is NO WAY that these are worse than cigarettes. And, nicotine is not the deadly chemical in cigarettes, the thousands of other chemicals in them plus the combustion is.

It's a personal decision, but inhaling a vaporized substance that is used in the medical field every day is a risk I'm willing to take to get off the combustion cigarettes.
Old 05-23-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Still Waters View Post
Sorry SeekSobriety - there is NO WAY that these are worse than cigarettes. And, nicotine is not the deadly chemical in cigarettes, the thousands of other chemicals in them plus the combustion is.

It's a personal decision, but inhaling a vaporized substance that is used in the medical field every day is a risk I'm willing to take to get off the combustion cigarettes.
As for the dangers of nicotine, more and more studies are appearing showing the dangers of Nicotine by itself.

Nicotine Linked To Breast Cancer Growth And Spread, Study Suggests
"Nicotine Linked To Breast Cancer Growth And Spread, Study Suggests

ScienceDaily (Oct. 19, 2008) — A study published in Cancer Research, a journal of the American Association for Cancer Research, suggests a possible role for nicotine in breast tumor development and metastases.

The study, conducted by researchers at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, is among the first to explore the effects of nicotine on mammary cells.

"Although numerous studies indicate the role of nicotine exposure in tumor promotion, little is known about the effect of nicotine on breast tumor development, especially on the metastatic process of breast cancer," said lead author Chang Yan Chen, Ph.D., M.D., at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

Through a series of in vitro tests Chen and her team of researchers determined that breast epithelial-like MCF10A cells and cancerous MCF7 cells both express several subunits of nAChR (nicotine receptor), that when bound, initiate a signaling process, potentially increasing cell growth and migration.

"The best known role of nAChR is in the nerve system," Chen said. "Although cells from various tissue origins express different subunits of nAChR, we know very little about the functions of nAChR in non-neuronal cells and tissues, in particular in mammary cells."

"We were able to determine that mammary cells express different subunits of nAChR and that nicotine, possibly through perturbing cell cycle checkpoints, potentiates tumorigenesis in mammary cancer-prone or cancer cells," Chen said.

In vivo studies confirmed these findings. When injected into the tail of a mouse the cancerous MCF7 cells migrated to the lungs.

From in vivo and in vitro studies, it indicates that nicotine is not a conventional carcinogen, but rather it combines with other yet to be determined factors to enable tumorigenesis.

"In vitro and in vivo tests showed that no metastasis occurs when the administration of nicotine alone," said Chen. "At this point we can only suggest that nicotine potentiates the growth-related process."

Chen hopes to conduct more studies, in particular under the genetic backgrounds with loss or defect of different tumor suppressors, to further explore the effects of nicotine in relation to first- and second-hand exposure, on breast cancer initiation and development.
Adapted from materials provided by American Association for Cancer

MLA
American Association for Cancer Research (2008, October 19). Nicotine Linked To Breast Cancer Growth And Spread, Study Suggests. ScienceDaily. Retrieved May 23, 2009, from http://www.sciencedaily.com* /releases/2008/10/081015073938.htm
Old 05-24-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Certainly there are dangers, as with anything. But for me the dangers are lessened to the extreme with the e-cig as compared to combustible cigarettes.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

This forum is for members who want to quit nicotine and smoking, which includes smokeless tobacco so I'm closing this thread. The electronic cigarette is not approved as a nicotine cessation product so the topic is not appropriate for this particular forum.