Notices

Quitting Smoking: Day One

Old 05-06-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Quitting Smoking: Day One

I have smoked on a daily basis for 13 years now, and that frightens me. I also don't see myself as truly clean and sober unless I am abstaining from nicotine. Last night, I contemplated making that cigarette before bed my last one. I awoke today, and headed to work without my usual nicotine fix.

It's about 9:45 am, and I usually have had about 2 cigs thus far. I actually feel pretty good, but I know the tough road is to come. I think I am ready to stop paying tobacco companies 5 dollars a day to slowly kill myself.

I tried about a year ago, but I was still getting high. What I know is that drinking and getting high were major triggers for my nicotine use. So really, nicotine has been my longest (and maybe primary) chemical addiction. And probably the most physically destructive.

I've always wondered why smoking cigarettes is never really seen as a drug addiction, especially when nicotine has a very high addiction potential.

I have thought about Chantix, but with my history of depression, I opted out of it. I am quitting without patches this time, too. They just gave me nightmares when I used them a year ago. If I want it bad enough, I can do it. But it's scary.

Is anyone else with me in abstaining from nicotine? I'd be more than happy to be part of your support group. This thread could be a Day One thread for anyone looking to stop.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck James!
I have it on my slate to quit but It is 3rd behind a few other demons.

Hope it goes well when you want a smoke try a post instead. It helped me get one monkey off my back.

Flip
Old 05-06-2009, 07:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck with the no smoking. That's a great decision. I really need to jump in here myself and just give up the smoking myself. I need to quit b.s.ing myself and become willing to do the same thing. All the time I could add back on to my life and all the money that could be saved. Well, good luck with this. And I'll be back when I grow a pair and decide to give it a go myself.

Wes
Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Congratulations, James. Glad to hear you're going to quit smoking. Nicotine is just another drug and every bit as addictive as herion in my opinion. I quit drinking first because that addiction was causing me the most trouble, then about a year later I quit the tobacco. Best wishes to you! Grateful Heart :-)
Old 05-06-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Into the light ....

I really want to quit as well and I am on the verge of it. Just clinging a bit like my other addictions. I think the day is fast approching and I'm just gonna toss all the addictions at the same time. I don't post here much but wanted to wish you luck and tell you how inspiring your post is to me.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Not sure how long you have been sober, but I made and kept a commitment that I would stop smoking one year after I quit drinking, that was a year and a half ago and I am still alcohol and drug free, I used the same methods I used in AA to quit drinking to quit smoking, it was not easy, but it was easier then quitting drinking, I have a feeling it was due to a good solid connection with my HP and working a solid program.

I thought about quitting smoking at the same time I quit drinking while I was in detox but my doctor actually told me to hold off on stopping smoking until my sobriety was pretty solid. This kind of surprised me because my doctor is all about stopping smoking, hang tough and try and use the same method for quitting smoking as you did drinking.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There are several of us on the nicotine forum who have quit smoking I NEVER thought I could quit smoking, but, with the help of the patches, have a month of no cigarettes and now am off the patches.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 05-06-2009, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi James,

I am using this forum to help with my stop smoking effort just like Amy. We post daily in the Nicotine section of SR and help each other out. I will have 7 weeks into the quit tomorrow.

I was simply looking around here one day and noticed the nicotine section and starting reading some of the posts in curiosity. A few days later I found myself thinking "Yeah I can do this to" and just stopped.

My perception of quitting smoking is that the first few days are fairly uncomfortable during the physical WD. After the first few days it got dramatically easier. I discovered that after the physical WD that cravings were only mental reminders that I used to smoke and that they passed really quickly. There is no real physical pain. Compared to stopping drinking the smoking effort has been a cake walk. I don't even crave the dang things anymore and I can be around others that smoke and it doesn't bother me beyond not wanting to be down wind.

I stopped cold turkey because I thought that it would be easier for me to simply have less to think about or figure out. The one thing I think that did help was having hard candy around the first few days.

I have some free software that calculates my savings from quitting so far. I have saved over three hundred bucks already, not smoked over 1400 cigarettes and extended my lifetime by 5 full days.

If you want to stop smoking come hang around the Nicotine section and post. You might get hooked on quitting like I did!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great decision, James! I wish you the best of luck.
I tried a gazillion times to quit smoking starting around age 24 and finally was able to kick it at 28. It's been two years and I'm still giddy with being quit!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Thumbs up

Congrats and I wish you luck.

I feel the same way about nicotine addiction as you illustrated in your post.

Quitting nicotine was definitely a part of my recovery. It's hard to kick for good but SO worth it, and IMO it's a part of true sobriety, to be completely free of any and all addictions and drug use, even the legal ones. Plus smoking is disgusting!!

I think someday the perception of smoking and nicotine addiction as it relates to recovery will be different. Never forget what killed AA founder Bill W. in the end, it was not drinking, it was smoking. The man gave up drinking but still killed himself with an addiction that at the time was socially acceptable and certainly acceptable for anyone quitting drinking, I imagine the attitude was, hey smoke your brains out as long as you don't drink.

You've made a great choice.

It does get easier, just ride it out.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
James, congratulations on your desire to quit, and that goes to anyone else who's considered it too. I hope you'll join us in the nicotine forum and share your experience on the Daily Check-In http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-vii-17.html

There's plenty of resources on the WWW, I quit chewing tobacco back in 2004 after a 27 year love affair with shoving that garbage in my mouth, this site gave me the inspiration I needed WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by James13 View Post
I have smoked on a daily basis for 13 years now, and that frightens me. I also don't see myself as truly clean and sober unless I am abstaining from nicotine. Last night, I contemplated making that cigarette before bed my last one. I awoke today, and headed to work without my usual nicotine fix.

I've always wondered why smoking cigarettes is never really seen as a drug addiction, especially when nicotine has a very high addiction potential.
Congrats to you James. It is one of the toughest ones to quit, but hell, if we can quit what society considers to be major addictions/problems, we can quit the smoking cigs too! You can do it!
I myself, wonder the same thing. It is an addiction. And it's hard to wrap my head around it sometimes. I am in the NA, and ya know we call alcohol a drug, but then go out and enjoy a few cigs before each meeting, and a couple more after.
But where would we draw a line? There are so many things, that aren't good for us, out there. I think it's up to us to decide when enough is enough and I think you have done that with your cigs.
I tried quitting last month. All week long I dreamed about smoking crack. So I told myself, when I've got more recovery under my belt, I'll try again. I don't want to smoke crack and honestly, cigs are downright healthy for compared to what I WAS smoking... Not that they are healthy... LOL.
But I want to try again when I have six months in and see how that goes. Like you, I am tired of paying 5-6 bucks a day.. It's stupid.
Some of us can quit both at the same time, some of us cannot. I admire and respect those who can, but I am one who will have to wait. I don't want to play with fire and be back on crack. For me, I felt like that was what I was doing and I just wasn't ready to give up the cigs.
Someday, I will be. But I am happy for you that you are ready. Maybe you, too, can be a source of inspiration and hope for me. Keep up the progress and let us know how it's going!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

man i wish i could stop smoking 30 a day.

im hopelessly addicted to nicotine..

with all the same denial as booze....ill stop soon.....or ill cut down.

but i do know im coming to the end of it.........im forty odd and its taking a toll on my health...ie out of breath..etc

i just cant seem to find the desire to stop........most days

well done to any one that managed it cos i cant.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Thanks to everyone here who has shown their support. Your replies help more tha you know...

When I have more time, I want to respond more today/tomm.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The reason I personally think a lot of people find smoking hard to quit is that you will never reach 'rock bottom' through smoking. It won't ever cause you to lose anything, other than potentially your health, as it really does very little other than satisfy your craving for the habit. Merely my opinion and I appreciate many may disagree.
I smoked daily for a period of about 9 months and always heavily when on a binge (every weekend for 6 years without fail) however I have never found it hard to quit as the cravings were Nothing compared to that I have had for Alcohol and the Cocaine/ecstacy cravings when drinking. Though I know many people who have found it incredibly hard to give up smoking and are still trying.
Everyone is different I guess.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

I do have to be honest about how I am feeling about this right now.

Right at this moment, I feel like giving up and "sneaking one" in. While it was surprisingly easy earlier this morning, right now I am freaking out. My body feels weird without the nicotine in my system, and I am beginning mad withdrawals.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Steamvessel I couldn't agree more on a personal level.
I am finding at the moment (day 7) that I try not to think about alcohol and it's effects (as the AA literature advises) or else I just find myself 'obsessing' over it. It is for this reason that I know I am vulnerable to alcohol as I realise that it is not 'normal' to obsess over alcohol and the effects/feelings it will give as I do, I literally get all warm and tingly and excited at the thought of it, if I let my self. This is why it is such a hard drug to give up as I believe it works on the brains 'Reward' pathways and so when you get those 9 cans on a friday night and down them one after the other you feel like you have actually 'achieved' something, although in reality have achieved nothing.
Do you find you get waves of sadness at times, as if you are trying to say goodbye to your 'best friend'? That's what it feels like to me at times. But it's a friend you know you will be best to leave behind but it's as if he's always there waving at you and feeling sad that you are leaving him. Personification; what a wonderfull thing!hahaha.