Son in Detox

Old 04-25-2009, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son in Detox

I have read the forums over the past few days to educate myself and decided to sign up and post my story. My son is an 24 year old addict and is currently in an inpatient detox facility. His recent heroin addiction was worse than anyone imagined and when he was caught stealing from family, it all exploded. He has attempted NA in the past and never finishes. He has not been in jail yet. A month ago he enlisted in the armed forces!? Of course he couldn't pass two drug tests in a row and he was declined entrance. The recuiter came to our house to talk with us and tell us the issues. I'm not sure if his attempted enlistment was a cry for help or he was looking for an quick escape from the damage his addiction has caused. Both my wife and I are at the point of hard love if rehab is not embraced totally by him. Hopefully he can see the right path. This forum is a glimmer of light for all of us going thru this.....
Old 04-25-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Welcome Hunter, I am sorry about your son but glad you joined us.

There are lots of parents here who have been where you are, so please know you are not alone.

Sadly, until they embrace recovery, it's an ugly journey for them. And more sadly, all the love in the world cannot save them from what they need to do themselves. If it could, not one of us would be here.

If he is serious about his recovery, he will agree to find a rehab that can help him. If money is an issue, the Salvation Army rehabs are free and very good.

What helped me when I went through this with my son was to find my own meetings, begin working 12 steps that saved my life and surrounding myself with support, live from my meetings and here at SR. Maybe your wife and you could find one in your area and give it a try. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Alanon, Naranon and CoDA are three similar programs that have helped many of us here.

Take a read around, make yourself comfortable and know that you are among friends here who understand.

Hugs
Old 04-25-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Ann has already given you some good suggestions. I have a 31 year old daughter who's an active addict/alcoholic.

Just a little information for you-there is no 'finishing' NA. Narcotics Anonymous is a 12 step program that gives recovering addicts the tools to live life on life's terms, to cope, in effect, without the use of drugs.

I will certainly keep your son in my prayers, and please continue to post! :ghug :ghug
Old 04-25-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Hunter,

It is a long hard road for the loved ones of addicts. You will find lots of support here. My son is in rehab now he is 17 and was court ordered to go for 9-12 months after we had him arrested 3 times (2 for drugs & 1 for stealing from us). Lots of sad and good stories here. Julie
Old 04-26-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Hunter
My brother is a 22 yr old heroin addict ( in recovery for 7 months now) Im sorry you are dealing with this, its hard.......SR is great, i dont post much but i sure do a lot of reading!! Welcome!
Old 04-26-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Hunter, I'm the mom of a 30yr crack addict. She has been to several rehabs. She is currently 5 mos clean. Nope I had not a thing to do with her seeking recovery.

As Ann said, seek out a program for you & your wife, it is the best gift you can give yourselves. Sanity while in the mist of having a loved one who is an addict (whether active or not)
Old 04-26-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
learning to live for me

Welcome Hunter. Addiction is difficult and loving someone who's an addict can truly be hell. But I have found a secret gift wrapped in all the muck. I've began discovering myself and who SHE is. And wow, she's a really great person.
I wish you and your family the best. Thanks for caring enough to come here. I hope we can help.
Sincerely,
Holly
Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome to SR--you are not alone. There are MANY of us who know and understand your pain.
susan
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Let me join the others in welcoming you to this site. My AS (addicted son) is now 22, currently in a detox program from methadone.

It's a tough road, but remember to take care of yourselves. The addict will only take care of him/herself.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. He was released yesterday from the detox facility and is scheduled for a meeting today regarding outpatient rehab.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hunter,

Welcome to SR. Keep reading and posting - find what works for you to get the support you need.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR, Hunter. My fiance's AS is still not in recovery....but I am receiving a lot of support and advice here that we have found invaluable. Hugs, HG