Notices

what drug would you say is the worst to come off

Old 04-24-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what drug would you say is the worst to come off

me personally i have only touched alcohol and mind you i know how hard it is to come off that ,,,i have heard stories of people who have been addicted to allsorts and say that alcohol is the hardest substance to come off
Old 04-24-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There are lots of drugs that you can die from in terms of ODing, but it is nearly impossible to die from withdrawals from most drugs. The 2 exceptions are alcohol and benzos.

But your DOC is the one that kicks your ass, whatever it may be.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

I have only been addicted to heroin and Rx opiods which is no picnic withdrawing from but the general consensus about the hardest drug to come off of (including alcohol) is Crystal Meth(basing this on my rehab stays and talking with poly-substance abusers).

That drug completely destroys your brain and heres just a few w/d symptoms that crystal meth causes
- Hallucinations (seeing shadow people at of the corner of your eyes)
- Violent Psychotic episodes
- Severe mental depression and cravings

I had a buddy of mine who I used to use with until he saw how physically dopesick I would get when I didn't have any heroin. He then got the bright idea to use meth instead of dope because he said "its not physically addictive man, i can handle the psychological" Needless to say within a matter of months the guy looked like he had aged 15 years and he wasnt handling the psychological w/d so well ;\
Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by butchville View Post
me personally i have only touched alcohol and mind you i know how hard it is to come off that ,,,i have heard stories of people who have been addicted to allsorts and say that alcohol is the hardest substance to come off
the one that you are on.........

I was only addicted to crystal meth and ice....
so that was it for me.

but anyones drug is hard for them......
Old 04-24-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol, benzo's wasn't very pleasant either.
Never want to do that again..but you never know..

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
Old 04-24-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only two drugs I've ever come off of are alcohol (last year) and nicotine (a long time ago). What I remember is that coming off alcohol I felt like I was going to die, coming off nicotine I felt like I was going to kill someone.

I realize nicotine withdrawals won't kill you and alcohol withdrawals can, but to me it was the difference in my attitude. My then-bf encouraged me to stop smoking but I was such a b!tch that he 'gave me his blessing' if I wanted to start back up again - I was "that bad"!

My last, and hopefully Last, alcohol withdrawal lasted two horrible days after a one day relapse. It was my worst detox ever, and a good reason for me to stay sober now.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The one that you are on, for sure.

After that...? Maybe nicotine and alcohol - both legal, both everywhere.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's no picnic coming off of anything that your mentally obsessed with. I heard heroin is tough. I never did it thank GOD so I can't say. I am going to have to agree with Donewithit. The one YOUR on is the hardest.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I came off crack many moons ago and the mind stuff was horrific... Then a few years ago I had to detox from benzos.. I think that was harder for me... Being that I was still having physical issues from them a few months after I took my last one.... There was many times I wondered if I was ever going to feel normal again.....
Whew.......
Old 04-24-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

You know I've been sick with a some bad stomach flu for like two weeks and I keep thinking this is the worst ever.... I would rather have a headache or anything than have
this nautious (sp) miserable feeling.
But when I have that non stop can't get out of bed headache, (this thread made me remember thinking,) Gawd I would rather be sick with a stomach flu or anything rather
than a headache cause this is the worst feeling ever, LOL.....
Old 04-24-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have seen my husband come off alcohol, heroin, opiate pills and crack. The worst was the benzos Rx'd by his doctor. He never abused them but had been on them for a very long time. He went to rehab for crack/alcohol and they kept him 3 additional weeks for the benzos because that really should be medically supervised.

He picked up his 60 days/2 mo. chip the other day. He is still having post acute withdrawal symptoms and I understand that those can last from 6 mo. to 2 years.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Magoo, It's a tough road ahead for your husband. But not tougher than active addiction. Good for him. I am glad to hear he cleaned himself up. The first year is really tough, and so easy to relapse. Sure hope he is serious, and comes out on top. Addiction is sneaky like a snake crawling up your leg. You don't know when it's gonna get you. Tell him to stay away from old people, places, and things. GOD BLESS YOU BOTH
Didnt meant to hijack your thread Butchville
Old 04-24-2009, 11:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

great response people me myself i never want to go through this again ,,the mental side was so so hard ,,scary ,,anxious and pannicy i never ever want this again its the worst feeling in the world ..lets all stick together and keep off our poison
Old 04-25-2009, 02:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the one that almost killed us!
Old 04-25-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The only drugs I have been addicted to are nicotine and alcohol, nicotine was tough but I'm finding alcohol to be much harder, maybe because all my friends drink and only a handful of them smoke.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Butchville, I am clean 4 years already, and I wouldn't go back for anything. I struggled getting clean from opiates. And I know better than to ever put one of those things in my mouth again. Good luck to you. It's a life long struggle, but I very rarely think of using anymore. And when I do,once in a while, usually when I am stressed, it's for like a second, and then I say, NO WAY. Change that thought.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The opiates where more difficult than alcohol for me. I went to AA for alcohol but had to go to rehab for the opiates.