New to group...

Old 04-24-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One foot in front of the other

New to group...

Hi, everyone. I posted in the newcomer forum, but most likely I will be spending most of my time in this forum, so wanted to just introduce myself...
I've read a couple posts and have to say that it is SO comforting already just to realize I'm not alone, and I hope that I can get some continued encouragement out of talking with you all when I just need to vent or am looking for advice.
I've been married three hears to AH - he was a heavy heroin (dope) user when I met him...It got to where I found myself shooting him up in the arm because I couldn't bear to see him keep trying unsuccessfully and ending up with holes and blood everywhere (sorry for the gruesome description). Anyway, he quit using about 8 months after we got married (in August of 2006), but picked up drinking immediately. Our first son was born in Nov 2007 and I was hoping that would bring a change around in him...But as he showed signs of barely even knowing his own boy (because of being out drinking so much), it just really infuriated me. I went through a LOT with AH (especially when he was on drugs...very painful time), and kept trying because I didn't want to give up on him and hoped he could get better. But once I had a son, it wasn't just AH I had to think about. My son was most important now because he was defenseless and innocent, and I as his mother needed to protect him. I wanted my son to grow up with only a good influence, so I kicked AH out four months ago. Since then, it's been hectic dealing with his begging and pleading to be back in our lives, but he's been drowning his sorrows more than ever in alcohol, so I had to keep explaining that I knew he wasn't ready. I knew after three years of broken promises that I couldn't rely on promises and needed some evidence of recovery.
SO finally...last week I dropped him off at detox (on his decision). He has been admitted to inpatient rehab at the same facility where he will be spending the next month...(can't really afford to be there for longer) I'm really proud of him for doing this, and have tried to show support. I am hoping this is a good sign for recovery, but I know this is still going to be a really long, hard battle. I'm glad I joined the group, and I am so relieved to know that I have a place to come and talk now. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Sounds like you've been thru hell. I am glad you are putting yur child and yourself first.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hollyce Jones

Hello and welcome to our community.

Do you have a therapist?! If I was in your situation, I would certainly be needing one.

I dated a heroine user a long time ago, and can understand much of your frustration... the co-ing and sadness surrounding your loved one's abuse of the drug. It's awful to be a part of that type of environment. *sigh*

Anyway... you're here! And I'm so glad.
Cheers,
Hollyce

Last edited by hollyce; 04-24-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-24-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

welcome faith, I am glad you found SR, this is a wonderful place...

the main lesson with addiction (to me) is knowing that as hard as it seems, what they do or do not do... is THEIR business... and our main job is to protect OUR peace, at all costs...

welcome again!!
Old 04-24-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your story is inspirational. I'm about to have ABF baby in July and your story reminded me that there is hope. I have to decide if I want to go through hell before we get there. Baby steps right?!?!?

Good luck to you and your family.