Notices

New to the forum

Old 04-24-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
One foot in front of the other

New to the forum

Hi, my name is Rachel...I'm 22. I'm new to the group, and what I'm hoping for is just support and advice as I live with the addiction issues of my husband. He was a heroin addict (shot it) when we met and got married...quit in August of 2006 (although he's still done it a few isolated occassions since). He actually tried just about every drug there was...Once he quit heroin, he started drinking and just didn't stop. We separated four months ago (I kicked him out). We have a one-and-a-half year old son, and I found out I was pregnant again right before we split up. At the time, I intended it to be the first step to divorce, but I've since tried to be more patient and open to the idea of working things out and being a real family eventually. He kept doing his own thing for a while, but I dropped him off at detox a little over a week ago. He's now continuing inpatient rehab. I am proud that he decided to do that, and I hope it's the first good step to a solid recovery.
Anyway, that's my background story...I hope to get active in the forum boards and maybe just get some continued encouragement as a family member who suffers from the effects of addiction. I really do want to keep trying with him; we've come through so much...a lot of it was painful...But most of all, I want to see him take care of himself and be a good dad to our little boys.
I was glad to find this group and look forward to getting to know some of you...
Old 04-24-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Im glad you signed up!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome Rachel! Glad you are here. We also have another forum here too--Friends and family of Substance abuse....as well as Friends and family of Alcoholics.....feel free to post there as well as here. You will find lots of support from fine folks here.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm glad you found us, Rachel and thanks for sharing that with us.

I am a recovering addict/alcoholic and my DOC was opiates, which the high and withdrawls are very similar to heroin. I have seen many people who stop one drug and pick up another and become addicted to it very quickly.

It sounds like you have already set some boundaries with your husband, which is great. Have you looked into Alanon? Many people who have loved one's who suffer from addiction have found a tremendous amt of support, knowledge and friendship with others going through the same thing in Alanon.

There is a forum here on SR just for Family & Friends of Alcoholics and also one for Friends & Family of Substance Abusers. You will find a great deal of support in one or both of those forums as well.

Again, welcome and I hope you'll take full advantage of the support we have to offer here.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
nerdly

Welcome Faith! I feel you are doing the right thing by supporting your husband, yet at the same time by not enabling him. In my opinion, doing the best for your family is by making you yourself the number one priority.