Notices

Antibuse - Help!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Antibuse - Help!

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? I have been relapsing a lot lately and I have come to the conclusion that antibuse will help. I am going to the doc tomorrow morning and beg for it. I already have been on Naltrexone and that worked for awhile (stops cravings) but I think my body just got used to it and now it just doesnt cut it.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi!
I don't personally have experience with it. It was offered to me when I first got sober but I didn't take it because I wanted to be able to drink again if I wanted too-I didn't want to be sober bad enough. I do know a few people that take it and say that it helps so much because they know they can't drink or they will get sick. One friend went as far as to pour a drink then throw it out because she didn't want to get sick. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If you use it, you won't drink.
Because if you take one sip, you will get very, very sick.
Your heartrate will increase and you will feel very sorry you tried to drink.
It is a powerfull tool to help you not to drink, but only that.
The rest you will have to do yourself.

Advice is like castor oil, easy to give, but dreadful to take."
Old 04-22-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Honestly, I had a boyfrend who was on it, and drank all the time.. even as sick as he'd get. Without other support/program/help.. I dont know how much it would help if the power of the dependency/addiction is stronger..

For the record.. you can however get violently ill if you drink. Would you take it forever? What other things would you put in place ?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've asked my doctor about getting it but decided not to since Im already on too many meds. If you do decide to use it, DO NOT DRINK, not only can it make you sick but people have ended up in the hospital or died after drinking on it. It turns alcohol into formaldehyde in your liver I think, which is very toxic.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....
too used Antabuse in early sobriety.
I did drink whith it.... became so violently ill
I quit the Antabuse.....

The catalyst for my reaction was a single split of
champagne ..18 hours after the lowest dosage.

Be sure and check out the afterlife of Antabuse
I kinda remember it stays in your system 4 or 5 days
after the last pill. Also...you do need to have your
doctor monitor liver enzymes if you take the med.

You must be also very aware of foods and
products containing any type of alcohol.
Depending on a persons senstivity....an unknown factor
you can also get quite ill that way too.

I also had to see my doctor monthly for blood test
to make sure my liver was not failing.

Antabuse does nothing for cravings.

hope you can quit drinking...recovery rocks!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Worked for me for a few months till i stopped taking it, but you have to make sure you deal with your alcholism too! Love the dangers of it...it could kill you...lol if it were that easy!?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Last Sept I was in the same boat, lovingmenow. I would stop for a few days, then drink for one, feel sick as a dog and stop for a few days....Finally, I reached a point where I needed something to take the wiggle room from me and asked my doc for Antabuse. It did what I wanted it to (forced sobriety). I was PETRIFIED of the reaction if I drank, so I didn't. The other benefit for me was that prevented me from drinking impulsively as it stays in your system up to 2 weeks. When I got cravings (which I did), not only did I know that I couldn't drink then and there, but I also knew I couldn't drink for days, perhaps weeks. By then, the craving had long since become a memory. Once I had a little sobriety under my belt, I was able to appreciate the benefits of a sober life. I agree with everyone else that it is a tool. I also need to deal with the reasons behind my drinking, but Antabuse gave me a good start.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Got an appt. with the doc at 11am. I hope she puts me on the stuff. I have been drinking steadily for 4 days. Yesterday I drank 12 beers and a bottle of wine. I will need to detox first and I really hope she gives me something for the shakes. I know they will come soon. Wish me luck.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck. Hope it works for you. Let us know as I have been struggling myself.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dismember

The thing I've heard from people who took Antabuse is that it does the trick of punishing you if you try to drink, but that it only really helped long-term when they had some plan or program in place to take over after they stopped taking it.

I think if you are unable to stop, by intent or because of withdrawal problems, I think you're probably going to have a doctor's prescription and care. Seems like they wouldn't refuse you over anyone else... Good luck with it and with the cut-off period.

Just remember a couple things and you'll be in good shape:
1. Do what the doctor tells you, and ask lots of questions.
2. Prepare your mental state for a time in the future when you can be abstinent without the drug.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Wow the b(*&ch said no and referred me to a rehab. Right now I am going to have a glass of wine to relieve some shakes and taper down from there. Just called a substance abuse doc (answering machine). Waiting for a call back.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Best of luck LMN. I do know that you cannot take A for AT LEAST 12 hours after you have had any alcohol. So, I assume that he/she will detox you first and have you start after that. Really, it was an invaluable tool for me. I still have some lest I feel I am unsure of myself, but I know that I have to do this on my own steam ultimately. The best benefit is that it will allow you to experience sobriety for the period that you take it and, for me, it clarified (by comparison) how much better I felt physically and emotionally. Basically it enabled me to cross that invisible, but necessary line, from wanting to stop drinking to wanting to stay sober.

Keep us posted, OK?? Big Hugs!
Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Shoot, you were posting while I was...did she give you a reason? It's not as common in the US as in Europe.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

The doc said that only substance abuse pros can write a script for this. Plus I think she thought I needed detox. I am OK right now and don't think I need a big detox escapade however I am very discouraged. This is not rocket science ya know??
Old 04-23-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Why can't you go to detox/rehab? It might save your life! There's no quick fixes ya know
Old 04-23-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with flutter... Rehab may just save your life... Antabuse won't! :ghug3
Old 04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Well, I actually feel pretty good right now and don't know if detox will do much. Why I don't have a MAJOR hangover is beyond me. I took a few glasses of wine but I really don't feel any major after effects of what I did this week. I feel like I just got away with something. Just got lucky this time cause I should have tremors and a real sick feeling but I don't. I am going to stop now and just hope I can stay sane for tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

When you're congratulating yourself for not feeling sick after a binge and you're drinking wine to stop the shakes....but you won't consider detox or rehab?

You don't need luck LMN...you need action.
You seem to be in pretty deep.
You definitely need more than hope that tomorrow will be ok.

Commit to some course of action - rehab, detox, counselling, meetings (of whatever programme you find you like)

it's way better than hoping and wishing, trust me.

D