Notices

non alcoholic lager ,,wine ,,beer

Old 04-18-2009, 02:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

non alcoholic lager ,,wine ,,beer

now i cant see the point of this at all whats the point of non alcoholic stuff ,,does that mean its safe for an acloholic to drink it or would it make them worse,, if people just wanted non alcohilic drink then shurley go for orange lemonade ect
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a form of torture to me.

I find it hard to understand why someone would want to drink it after getting into trouble with booze.

Better off spending your money on a water filter...i have and me and the dogs love it...lol.

trucker.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The point of any product is to sell it
regardless of who purchases it.

I'm a non drinking alcoholic
who does not buy those drinks.

Good to see you again....
Old 04-18-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's helped me through many days. I'm sure I'll rely on it again. Say what you will, it works for me.
To each his own.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Now I'm not sure if I would buy it or drink it, but there sure are times I wish they sold it ice cold at a baseball game. A beer and a hotdog and the ballpark...a perfect day before all the alcoholism happened. Now, it's a hotdog, a lemonade, and my beloved Isotopes. Cheaper too.

I think NA is a dangerous trigger. You're getting the taste, but that's not why you drank right? It's like hearing a song on the radio and you can perfectly remember a time in your life where you heard that song before. The brain is mysterious, best not to mess with it.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

it would tempt me to go for the real stuff
Old 04-18-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
nerdly

I may be wrong, I think I may have heard that there is a tiny bit of alcohol in those types of beverages.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I don't go near it.. I don't want to drink anything that reminds me of alcohol. I had to change my whole mindset about things, and it just doesn't fit into that equation, personally. I think for a lot it could be playing with fire..I don't tempt myself in any way.. I found that I really do enjoy Sprite and Dr. Pepper!
Old 04-18-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it helps keep people from drinking the real thing I'm all for it. But for me, I never drank wine for the taste, only cause it got me drunk.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Whatever works for you, Butchy I have no use for those beverages (they trigger me), but I do know of recovering drinkers who enjoy them with no ill effects. Not the same thing, I know, but I love decaffeinated coffee - I love the taste of coffee, but cannot handle the caffeine kick; many people sneer at me for this , but to each their own.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Smile

I may be wrong, I think I may have heard that there is a tiny bit of alcohol in those types of beverages.
Wow Love this topic New years Eve 2008 my mom was cleaning out all alcohol out of her house including her wine bottles ...she found a nonalcoholic thing and she thought she was being helpful and so did I thought this is great my sponsor will be over and we can celebrate with this bottle well he had called before hand to ask about menu what he could bring...I explained what I had ..he said go read the contents of that bottle
and sure enough some thousandths percent I think but still it reminded me I was in alcoholic mode my first words were to celebrate with a bottle I gae the bottle to drunk in the bldg. LOL

the same he said is true for that non alcoholic champagne
yeah I drank for the taste LOL not !!! Every drink I ever took it was to get drunk and by golly if I had enough Id do shots if not Id do the beer
I wanted not to feel ....I can drink a coke at a ball game and get the same effects of enjoying the game and remembering what I did after the game
Old 04-18-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

foglift ...
As far as I know...the brands sold in the U.S. have trace alcohol.
Look at the lable to see the percentage.

That may not be true for those sold in outher countries.
A member here said in the UK they had some without alcohol.
I really don't know.

However....
I don't choose to pretend to drink
I would re-start my sobriety date if I drank alcohol.
I am grateful that I an AA recovered alcoholic.

Hope everyone finds the joy of recovery
Old 04-18-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

in canada, i think many of them have .05% alc. or something like that
Old 04-18-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Everyone is different and everyone has different reasons for doing things they do. I drink NA "beer" and have been sober over 10 months. I have never once been tempted to buy the real thing. In fact, now that I am used to the taste of NA, I know that a 'real' beer would taste awful. I grew up loving the taste of beer and I don't see the need to deprive myself of that. After all these months, I feel that I drank more out of boredom than anything else. Since detox, I had one slip early on where I drank a six-pack of beer one day. I decided then that I would try the NA and like I said, once I got used to the taste, I haven't once had the desire to buy real beer. I was a beer drinker. Rarely drank wine or hard liquor. I loved beer. So, now I get that beer taste without the hangovers, the threat of driving after drinking or damage to my liver. I don't go to bars (rarely ever did that anyway) and I just keep the NA in the fridge for when I want a 'cold one.'

As I said, everyone is different and if you fear that NA would cause you to crave the real thing, by all means, stay away from it. I'm only telling you what I have experienced. Some will say I am in denial and some will say it's only a matter of time until I buy the real thing. They are free to think whatever they want because, as I have read here many times, what others think of me is none of my business.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

80 % (?) of the time I drank beer for a buzz. But sometimes I liked to have a beer with food... certain things.

So now and then I have it here to drink with supper. I also order it when out to dinner in a nice place.

Doesn't trigger me.

Mark
Old 04-18-2009, 05:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i know a jerk that tried to get drunk on it!

the result...

the local ER!
Old 04-18-2009, 06:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

LOL!!! What a doofus! Why didn't he just buy the real thing if he was trying to get drunk?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It would be a trigger for me I think.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Higrader.....
Welcome to SR
Old 04-18-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For me I wouldn't touch the stuff. My mind might tell me why play around with the kid stuff when I could play hard ball with the real stuff. To each his own though and I for one will not even begin to worry about trace amounts of alcohol in foods. I don't know what the heck is in some foods and I would rather not find out. And I don't want to know if my mouthwash has any alcohol.