Notices

friday night craving

Old 04-17-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

friday night craving

its friday night and it is not like i am really craving a beer its that i just want to have one..... maybe i am just have nothing to do. I have already did bigest loser from h*** tape, made a salad, went to store, raked the lawn, did dishes, now what. Just trying to work though this i guess. I will win

thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Make it a point to just not drink.. prove it to yourself. It's friday, you're bored.. seems appealing, but think of how cool it'll feel tomorrow when you've beat it one more day. The more days like that you add together, the less and less you'll think of drinking at all. I can't remember the last time I thought about drinking.. anymore all Fridays mean to me is '***** I get to sleep in a little, stay up a little late watching brainless TV, playing with my dogs, making yummy food.... on and on'. It takes about 3 weeks to develop a habit, I've heard.. maybe make a new habit for your evenings of just not drinking.. it might stick?

I don't mean for that to sound easy, because it's not.. but it is that simple. I hope you're also involved in some type of support, counseling, meetings, whatever to really boost your committment for this. See ya bright eyed and bushy tailed tomorrow morning!! You can do it.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do know that tomorrow will be a wonderful day. I also know i need to make it a habit to not drink. its a slow process, but I know I can do it. thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you, and yes, you can do it!

Maybe you can find a good movie to watch, or listen to some music, whatever works.

You can also hang out here for awhile and be inspired.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Of course you want a beer, it's Friday night. But that doesn't mean you have to drink!

You don't have to answer this question, just something to think about. How many Friday nights in the past was drinking that first beer as normal as breathing? Anyone who drinks, even normal drinkers, weekends and drinking are like peanut butter and jelly. . . they go together. But for us alcoholics, so does drinking and family problems, shame, embarressment, DUI's, work problems, guilt, . . . .

I commend you for sharing that you want a beer. You have to talk about this stuff to work through it. I'm glad you're on here sharing this with us rather than seriously considering drinking.

Try to find some other "reward" for yourself for the weekends. How much money did you spend on drinking? I'm sure you could use that money to rent a movie and maybe get a pizza, or go out to a movie and grab a bite to eat. Now that the weather is getting warmer, throw some steaks on the grill. Find some kind of weekend reward to replace the weekend reward you had for however long.

It's a great feeling waking up in the morning with a clear head and not being sick from a night of drinking. You know you'll congratulate yourself in the morning and you should! And as others have said, stick around with us tonight, we're all obviously sitting at home as well! But we're clean and sober and damn proud of it!

Hugs,
Judy
Old 04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

that kind of what i thought. do not want to go sit with my hubby outside he is having a beer
Old 04-17-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
Of course you want a beer, it's Friday night. But that doesn't mean you have to drink!

You don't have to answer this question, just something to think about. How many Friday nights in the past was drinking that first beer as normal as breathing? Anyone who drinks, even normal drinkers, weekends and drinking are like peanut butter and jelly. . . they go together. But for us alcoholics, so does drinking and family problems, shame, embarressment, DUI's, work problems, guilt, . . . .

I commend you for sharing that you want a beer. You have to talk about this stuff to work through it. I'm glad you're on here sharing this with us rather than seriously considering drinking.

Try to find some other "reward" for yourself for the weekends. How much money did you spend on drinking? I'm sure you could use that money to rent a movie and maybe get a pizza, or go out to a movie and grab a bite to eat. Now that the weather is getting warmer, throw some steaks on the grill. Find some kind of weekend reward to replace the weekend reward you had for however long.

It's a great feeling waking up in the morning with a clear head and not being sick from a night of drinking. You know you'll congratulate yourself in the morning and you should! And as others have said, stick around with us tonight, we're all obviously sitting at home as well! But we're clean and sober and damn proud of it!

Hugs,
Judy
the worse put is we use to sit outside and grill. it was not just friday night having a BEER it was everynight like clock work
Old 04-17-2009, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Serenity Queen always says just what I want to say in such a better way.

We did the beer every night, too. Every single night until we could stand no more.

I quit...he did too about 6 months later. Be the leader in your relationship....it gets better, it really does.

You can do this....stick close to SR. Best wishes to you. Glad you're here.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post
Serenity Queen always says just what I want to say in such a better way.

We did the beer every night, too. Every single night until we could stand no more.

I quit...he did too about 6 months later. Be the leader in your relationship....it gets better, it really does.

You can do this....stick close to SR. Best wishes to you. Glad you're here.
thanks... I was hoping that he would quit someday. we never fight when drinking... its just we sort change our life and our kids. I see that now and i did see it before, but did not care it ...tasted so good. I decided it had to stop when my youngest asked me if i would be happy or sad if daddy left. i did not respond and asked her what she want and it was she wanted him to leave so i could be happy
Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FTW,the cravings will disappear sooner then you think.Trust me!
Asta la vista,baby:Arnold Swartzenigger...I think
Old 04-17-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Stay sober for YOU. He'll follow or not, that part isn't up to you....nor should it be.

And....stay sober for your kids. I so wish I would have got my act together when my kids were small. It is the ONLY regret I have in my life.

Alcohol is just insidious. It changes the entire dynamics of the family. You are in an excellent position to make such HUGE positive changes in your life. You can do this....for right now, just take care of YOU.

You can win, and come out stronger for it. Stick close to SR. Read Everything!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Friday nights are tough for me too. At the end of a stressful week, my thing was to drink and play online poker. Now I've given them both up and I'm feeling kind of lost on Friday nights. BUT I ALWAYS feel good about it on Saturday morning. HANG IN THERE!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Friday nights are really tough for me aswell. Last nite was the toughest. I was all alone at home, nothing to do so the addictive voice in my head was going overboard, I really thought I was going to give in but I just took a nap, listened to some awesome metallica and before I knew it the morning was here and I feel great, except for the fact that Saturday cravings are starting to hit. Im just gonna read and post till they subside.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I am reading an awesome AA book called Living Sober. There are some great suggestions in there for allieviating cravings. One that works for me is to eat something sweet. Imagine drinking a beer after you have snarfed down a cookie? Not an appetizing though! Surely there is some easter chocolate still lurking around?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I used to LOVE sweets with beer. I know most people find that disgusting, but my favorite thing was to put Milky Way bars in the fridge and have a cold one with a cold one. LOL!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Keep yourself busy with anything but drinking. Stick around here, that always helps me a lot. Many times when I have cravings I come here and welcome newcomers. My cravings go away, so I've helped someone else and myself also.