Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Getting a real job for the first time in years...

Notices

Old 04-17-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting clean means I'll be looking for a job soon (great timing, right?). The first job I've had in literally, years. What I'm wondering is, does anyone have any experience in just telling the truth during interviews, ie- "I haven't worked in five years because I was a drug addict, but now I'm clean?" I mean, I don't know how else I'm going to explain to potential employers why I've been out of it for so long. But at the same time, who wants to hire a drug addict? Any help would be greatly appreciated here.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Marvelgirl,
Didn't I read in a previous post (less that a week ago) that you smoke weed? If that's the case, you need to be worried about how to pass a drug screen. Cause if it's a 'real' job, most likely they will test. Hell, they test a McDonalds nowadays.

Penny
Old 04-17-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually, I said a few times in that thread that I BARELY smoke. I've been a huge pothead, and I've been through periods where I barely smoke. Right now, I smoke MAYBE 2x a month. And actually, I've NEVER been drug tested for a job. So no, I'm not really worried about that at all.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

O.k. well, great! Good luck with that!

Penny
Old 04-17-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do or do not. There is no try.

You have never been drug tested for a job yet havent had a job in 5 years. Let me tell you something the working world has changed. Pretty much any company worth its salt drug tests these days, and pot happens to be the longest drug commonly tested for to leave your system. Anyhow, onto your OP. While I highly value honesty, as it is a foundation of my recovery, I would not advise to be completely honest in this situation. Infact I pretty much straight up lied when I got my job over a year ago. I told them I had been sick followed by my mother having knee surgery (neither was a complete lie, but a lie none the less). As you suggested nobody wants to hire a drug addict, and if they did any little thing you do wrong will come back to 'Is she using again?'. Good luck whatever you choose to do.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Tryin'. Well, 5 years is an exaggeration, but it's been a while. And I know for a fact that most of the jobs I'll be applying to wont drug test, so lets just act like thats not even an an issue here. Thanks though.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's a trip, cause my sister-n-law just got turned down for Wal-Mart cause the drug tested her and she didn't pass her drug test. Plus, they did a criminal background check and she didn't pass that either...misd. charge on her record. They did all this and all she was applying for was cashier or greeter.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When one of my sisters got clean after some years of unemployment, she told interviewers she'd been taking care of a family situation that was now resolved. They didn't question further and she got the job.

Love,

Lenina
Old 04-17-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey change: I don't know why you have issue with me, but please stop the snarky remarks. It's probably because we disagreed in that thread about weed, but really? Come on now, I don't come to this website for drama and bickering. And I really don't think you do either, so please, drop the ****.
Old 04-17-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Look, we are here for a common goal...to recover...period. Sometimes the truth hurts, Lord knows I've heard plenty of things I didn't like when I was using and plenty of things since recovering, but needed to listen, none the less.
I really don't know what you're so defensive about. I haven't said one thing that's not the truth...No one should advocate the use of weed as a means to detox or otherwise.
Weed, (unless prescribed by a doctor for medicinal use) is Illegal.
Most work places test for drugs...including weed.
So what the problem? I mean, this is a sober recovery site, right?

No issues here...as a matter of fact...YOU made the first 'snide' comment to me about "not pulling the legal card on weed. Cause the majority of you here are here because of legal drugs" .......remember?
So how bout you go and research your posts and you drop the sh!t!

K? Thanks :wtf2
Old 04-17-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Originally Posted by marvelgirl View Post
Getting clean means I'll be looking for a job soon (great timing, right?). The first job I've had in literally, years. What I'm wondering is, does anyone have any experience in just telling the truth during interviews, ie- "I haven't worked in five years because I was a drug addict, but now I'm clean?" I mean, I don't know how else I'm going to explain to potential employers why I've been out of it for so long. But at the same time, who wants to hire a drug addict? Any help would be greatly appreciated here.

Not sure of your age but if I remember correctly you were in the 20's right?? Might just explain your work abscence by telling them you were a full time college student and had to drop out because you were unable to afford it and need the work. I know when I first got clean 2 years ago I had never worked a job in my entire life (i was a 21 year old with no employment history looking for work, was dealing my entire college time) I used that explanation and it went over well with pretty mcuh every employer that I got an interview with. Bottom line is, when you get to the interview process it aint gonna matter how long of an abscence from work you have had, if you are intelligent and personable they will hire you.

As for telling them that you are a drug addict...i would not offer that information unless it is asked. Honesty is good but to a certain extent. There is no reason to volunteer information which could damage your reputation for no reason.

As for the drug testing...you live in NY dont ya? most places do not drug test in NYC. can find great little job that pays well at some of those clothing boutiques on madison, 5th, 34th etc.. Waitress is another great job which will earn you some good money and teach you about the value of $ heheh.

Best of luck to ya ~~ Scott
Old 04-17-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Look, we are here for a common goal...to recover...period. Sometimes the truth hurts, Lord knows I've heard plenty of things I didn't like when I was using and plenty of things since recovering, but needed to listen, none the less.
I really don't know what you're so defensive about. I haven't said one thing that's not the truth...No one should advocate the use of weed as a means to detox or otherwise.
Weed, (unless prescribed by a doctor for medicinal use) is Illegal.
Most work places test for drugs...including weed.
So what the problem? I mean, this is a sober recovery site, right?

No issues here...as a matter of fact...YOU made the first 'snide' comment to me about "not pulling the legal card on weed. Cause the majority of you here are here because of legal drugs" .......remember?
So how bout you go and research your posts and you drop the sh!t!

K? Thanks :wtf2
Old 04-17-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah D-Boy, I live in NYC, and thanks for backing me up. I feel like most people say, "Even Kmart drug tests!" Well, Kmart is a huge national chain, and most national chains do drug test. I will not be applying to any national chains though. So yeah, as I said, I know for a fact that most places I do apply to WON'T drug test. Most of my experience is within retail in SoHo, and the Upper East Side, so thats probably where I'll start. God, my first job in NYC, this huge "hip" clothing store in SoHo, they barely knew my name before they hired me! It's mainly the economy that bothers me. Why hire someone who hasn't worked in a couple years, over one of the hundred or so other people that are applying to the same job?

But thanks for the advice, I'll probably use that one. You're always helpful Scott.

Last edited by marvelgirl; 04-17-2009 at 04:45 PM. Reason: wanted to add something
Old 04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Lying is not a good way to start off an employee-employer relationship, though on the other hand, if you "come clean," so to speak, be prepared for the inevitable questions such as, "How long have you been clean? How can we know that you won't relapse?"

Think about both sides of it.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-17-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Honesty is the foundation for any recovering addict or alkie. You wont hear any arguement from me with that. However, when it comes to possible employment I feel that there is no need to tarnish a first impression by telling an employer (who may already have pre-conceived ideas about who a heroin addict is i.e an AIDS patient with multiple felonies just looking to get one over on you etc) that you are a former drug addict.

Let that relationship develop soley based upon your work performance and personality, because afterall, that is all the employer is concerned about anyway. Maybe after a while working there when your boss has seen that you are a good worker and reliable if it still bothers you about being dis-honest you can explain the situation then. That way you have much less of a chance to lose your job because the employer has already developed a relationship with you and knows you are dependable.

I have seen to many people get turned down for a job they were very capable of based solely upon the fact that they "used" to use drugs. Makes me very thankful that I was never arrested during my using days so I do not have to deal with that unfair treatment.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sugah,

I hope I didn't come across as telling a lie! The truth of my sister's situation was a family situation. At the time she was living with our addicted family. Once she moved out and got away from the madness she did get clean. Sadly, she's back into addiction now.

Love,

Lenina
Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Fridays and Money has all ways been a mood changer for me.

Those were the days my friend, I thought they never end.

Thank goodness for sober recovery and the rooms of NA.

Good luck job hunting.

Ivan
Old 04-17-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Sugah,

I hope I didn't come across as telling a lie! The truth of my sister's situation was a family situation. At the time she was living with our addicted family. Once she moved out and got away from the madness she did get clean. Sadly, she's back into addiction now.

Love,

Lenina
I wasn't referring to your post or any other--just that dishonesty isn't a good way to start a relationship. Conversely, spilling your guts when you may not be prepared for the questions that may follow probably isn't ideal, either.

"I had some personal difficulties that I needed to overcome/deal with/attend to" may be more than enough information.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-18-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just got a "real job" after having been self employed for 10 years. I sure as heck didn't tell them anything about my addiction. It is a need to know basis. You never hurt anyone at the new job so why tell them? However...you may not like this but...you really should work on quitting the weed. You can justify all you want but the fact is that it is mind altering and it is illegal. Good luck with the job search.