Notices

Working with others

Old 04-11-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Working with others

My wife and I abandoned ourselves with enthusiasm to the idea of helping other alcoholics to a solution of their problems. It was fortunate, for my old business associates remained skeptical for a year and a half, during which I found little work. I was not too well at the time, and was plagued by waves of self-pity and resentment. This sometimes nearly drove me back to drink, but I soon found that when all other measure failed, work with another alcoholic would save the day. Many times I have gone to my old hospital in despair. On talking to a man there, I would be amazingly lifted up and set on my feet. It is a design for living that works in rough going.
We commenced to make many fast friends and a fellowship has grown up among us of which it is a wonderful thing to feel a part. The joy of living we really have, even under pressure and difficulty. I have seen hundreds of families set their feet in the path that really goes somewhere; have seen the most impossible domestic situations righted; feuds and bitterness of all sorts wiped out. I have seen men come out of asylums and resume a vital place in the lives of their families and communities. Business and professional men have regained their standing. There is scarcely any form of trouble and misery which has not been overcome among us. In one western city and its environs there are one thousand of us and our families. We meet frequently so that newcomers may find the fellowship they seek. At these informal gatherings one may often see from 50 to 200 persons. We are growing in numbers and power.
BB page 15

What struck me was that life was not “happy ever after” when Bill returned home from the hospital. He remained unemployed. By his own admission, “I was not too well at the time, and was plagued by waves of self-pity and resentment.” Bill was experiencing those mood swings that many of us write about here. Reading this, gave me hope. Such feelings would be normal. But the key is what Bill did with those moments that “nearly drove me back to drink,” and that was talking to another alcoholic, sharing this marvelous program. Even if the alkie says “no,” we receive God’s “yes.” We stay sober.

When you’re feeling down, do you go out and work with another alcoholic? If you haven’t would you be willing to try?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I used to run to a meeting when I felt like that Steve, it seems to be the answer for a lot of people,

if I can't find an alcoholic to work with face to face, I can log on and try be helpful on one of the forums I use or phone a few people and see if I can be of service to them,

I also noted on p 84, it says, "Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help"

that broadened things a little for me too when I read it said someone we can help, not just alcoholics.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I also noted on p 84, it says, "Then we resolutely turn our thoughts to someone we can help"
I know what you are saying Dave. In my job and in my life outside the rooms I have taken the opportunity to help alot of people and it always gets me out of self. But none of them compare to sitting at my kitchen table talking to a new man about the gift of sobriety. I am always amazed at the healing power that has for me.