Notices

i could eat nails

Old 04-10-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i could eat nails

All afternoon all I could think about was..... will i a have a drink when I get home... Will my hubby be drinking by the time i get home.

Then I would try to find reasons why I could have a drink. These thoughts went though my head most of the afternoon. When will some of these feeling go away?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

aaah, that is the question huh!
Well, I can tell you that the obsession was lifted from me around the 30 day mark, but is different for everyone.
I had to get to work, go to meetings, connect with others in recovery, start working the steps and connect with who I wanted to be.
Once my spiritual life became more important than the wine, I found that my sober life is normal now.
Good luck and keep reaching out!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd like to read more about you Ftw. You sound a bit like me and probably like:
so many other members at SR. Soooooooo.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I wish I could give you an exact time frame when the obsession will be lifted and these thoughts won't override all other thoughts you have throughout the afternoon. But like TTOSBT said, everyone's different.

I'm sure you already know that Recovery isn't just not drinking (or using) it's changing your entire way of life. Are you following the same routine after work that you always did? Is there a way you could find a Meeting to go to on your way home or something else to break the same pattern you have been going through? Is there a friend who doesn't drink who you could stop by and have a cup of coffee or a soda with first? Do you by any chance have an old gym membership you could reactivate? If not, just about all gyms offer a free, 30 day trial membership. You can either fill out one of those little slips to "win" a membership or just call and tell them you are trying to find the right gym to join. A good workout is a great stress reliever and also, a great way to get in shape! What better reward for being clean and sober than a new, trim figure? Then you can reward yourself with some new outfits with the money you are not spending on alcohol.

It is so important to build up a support system, this isn't something you can do alone. You are already using SR, which is great, but do you have any face to face support?

Try not to focus on what's going to happen when you get home. Just think about making it through each hour, don't overwhelm yourself with the entire evening. And remember, this too shall pass. Those using feelings don't last forever and they will begin to subside. Look forward to some other things to do in the evenings, set one night aside to take one of those hour long baths where you deep condition your hair, give yourself a facial and yes, shave those winter legs! lol It is important to reward yourself for not drinking.

Hang in there, it's so worth it,
Judy
Old 04-10-2009, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

This seems to vary from person to person but the longer you are sober usually the less you will get the urge to drink.
Try to think about the reasons you don't want to drink.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think you will know until you stop for a while - it is so individual..But come to SR every day - every minute and you will get support - and for most of us you end up thinking about other things because just being sober is a really huge good thing.. worth checking out.

thanks for your post.. big hug
Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm sorry you are having difficulties.....
Prayers coming your way
Old 04-10-2009, 09:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What day are you on? I'm on day 39 and I'm still struggling hard BUT I've gotten some "breaths of fresh air," when I wake up in the morning WITHOUT the hangover, without the regrets, and without the wasted time of having to spend half a weekend day in bed due to being up til all hours etc. etc., and I think, DAMN! It feels good to be a GANGSTA!.......of SOBRIETY!!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The worst thing about those thoughts is the snowballing of them. ONce they slip in theyare hard to stop. Best thing you can do is recognise that theyare just thoughts and that you can let them take you over or you can take a deep breath, encourage them to pass, and move onto another thought or activity. Does your hubby know you are trying not to drink? Is it possible for him to stop too?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cab31 View Post
The worst thing about those thoughts is the snowballing of them. ONce they slip in theyare hard to stop. Best thing you can do is recognise that theyare just thoughts and that you can let them take you over or you can take a deep breath, encourage them to pass, and move onto another thought or activity. Does your hubby know you are trying not to drink? Is it possible for him to stop too?
ya but he does not understand. we just had it out again over this issue. we go to his familys today and they all race to drink before grandma takes the bottles away. i told him i am not going. then he states if you think i am not going to drink a few you are crazy. he was mad becausei took out a few cans of beers and they got warm. I could just start drinking right now an finish about 10pm tonight. go to easter and make a fool of myself. that i hope would make him proud. wish he could get it
Old 04-11-2009, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not about whether he gets it or not.

It's about focusing on yourself and your recovery, for you.

You can do this!