Notices

So THAT'S WHY I've been hurting so bad!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

So THAT'S WHY I've been hurting so bad!

I've shared with some of you that I had two MRI's a few weeks ago, one on my lower back and one on my right hip. I didn't fall or injure myself, but with Rhematoid Arthritis and Lupus, just about anything is possible.

Anyway, I went to the Doctor on Monday and found out I do have two ruptured discs in my lower back and also what's called Right Trochanteric Bursitis, which is a fancy word for Bursitis in the entire socket of my right hip. I also had an infection in there that thankfully, since I am on Humira and can't get any infections, my doctor put me on a round of antibiotics when I started getting a chest cold, possible Pneumonia a few weeks ago. If she wouldn't have done this, I would have been in ICU by now, with a serious infection in my entire hip.

I went to see an Orthopedic Surgeon yesterday to get a steroid injection in my hip joint and the nurse said the doctor wanted xrays before giving me the injection. I have to admit, I was ticked, I had just had these MRI's a few weeks ago and now they wanted to twist me around like a pretzel on the xray table and cause me yet more pain.

The Surgeon walked in the room, introduced himself and then asked me how/when I fell that I fractured my pelvis! Uh, I think you have the wrong room, doc, I'm here for an injection in my hip. Nope, I fractured my pelvis, sometime over the past week or so. I didn't injure it, I just have fragile bones due to the RA and Lupus and also years of steroid use have weakened my bones more. Unless a pelvis is shattered from an accident, the only thing they can do is have someone rest it while it heals. As far as my discs, they want me to have surgery asap, but without any insurance, the Neurosurgeons want cash up front. Sure, here, let me write that check out for 3K, just watch it cause it's gonna bounce around like a kangaroo!

I was really frustrated, not to mention in a horrible amt of pain (haven't taken anything else for pain other than the Methadone I am on through the MMT I am in) I came home, so frustrated, upset, hurting . . . I had two calls on my answering machine. One was from a bill collector who got the usual "delete" (they'll call back, I have already told them when I have some money coming in I will begin paying them) The other call was from the woman at The State Disability office who I have been working with since before Thanksgiving, trying to get my Disability. It was a few minutes before 5:00 pm, I figured she was already gone for the day but something (or shall I say Someone) told me to call her anyway. My disability has been approved!!!!!!! I will be getting an award letter within a week, letting me know how much I will receive a month as payment and then I can take this letter to the local Medicaid office and at least get a Medical Card!!! I just starting crying so hard when she told me it went through and I was approved . . . first try! I thought for sure I was going to have to get an Attorney and file an appeal like most people do.

So, good things do come to those who wait! I will be able to have my back taken care of soon . . . will be able to get all of the proper meds I have needed for my RA & Lupus for several years but haven't had the money for and also, I am now going to have money coming in and can go back to school and finish my degree once my physical issues are healed up! My family has been paying my rent and helping me since Mom moved in with me, even though she is in a Nursing Home right now.

I cannot tell you all how Blessed I feel right now, even though I am in a great deal of pain. That will pass!

Thanks for reading another chapter in the life of Judy!
Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Judy, Judy, Judy:
After so much rough road...at last some smooth paving! I am so happy you finally have some answers.
Big Bear Hug!
Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Judy, that's wonderful -- the disability, not the fractured pelvis or the disc issues. I'm glad that you have the money worry off your plate, and I will send up and out some prayers for healing.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 04-09-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm so happy for you, Judy. My daughter is on Medicaid and it really has been a help with all of her hospitalizations.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Judy)))

I know this is a like a huge weight lifted of your shoulders. I'm sorry you're still in so much pain, but at least now, you will have a way to get help without all the hassles you've been dealing with.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 04-10-2009, 01:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

Judy, you poor thing!

Well, I'm so glad that you're having these things taken care of, and I'm very glad that your request for disability status has been approved. That must be taking a huge weight off of your shoulders.

Get well soon!!

As an aside, as someone living in a country with universal health care available to every single person in need (plus a huge range of private doctors available to those who want them or can afford them), it makes me SO MAD when I hear that someone with a serious medical condition (fractured hip included) could risk going into debt, becoming bankrupt, or getting turned down because of ANY payment issues. Not to make this a political thing because I don't think it should be a political issue in the first place, but I hope things change on the medical front because medical care regarding serious issues, in my opinion, should never be a source of more trouble than the trouble itself! Okay, mini rant over. For now anyway.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers continue to come from me Judy....
Old 04-10-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

YAY!!!!

It's about time something good happened to Judy! You are such a rock strong woman so I know when you were down - there was a good reason!! LOVE YOU!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Judy,

I am amazed at how positive and uplifting your attitude remains with all that you've been through. You sure know how to make lemonade when you're thrown lemons! I hope the road ahead is a little less rocky for you and that you can get the surgery that you need to alleviate your pain.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so glad your disability came through! I've been fighting for mine since August of 2007! You be gentle with yourself now, okay? :ghug :ghug
Old 04-10-2009, 10:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Judy

Sucks you fractured your hip and gotta have surgery, but great that you got disability status. Things will look up soon for you I think.

Hope each day brings you a little more peace.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Glad things are looking up for you Judy. I also have bursitis in two hips and one shoulder, so I know how painful it can be.

take care

Joe
Old 04-10-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
To infinity.....AND BEYOND!

I can't imagine how happy you are finally having some answers.

I kindly and respectfully withdraw my argument that "it's never Lupus."
Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

HUGE :ghug3

I am so glad you got some answers! YEAH about getting disability, I am so glad you didn't have to fight it. You are in my thoughts. I really hope the rest of this moves quickly so that you can be healed and healthy!

Your one tough lady missy,

Old 04-11-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
Neurosurgeons want cash up front. Sure, here, let me write that check out for 3K, just watch it cause it's gonna bounce around like a kangaroo!
Laughed like crazy at this one! Thank you so much for sharing your ability to maintain an attitude of gratitude under such conditions. Have a happy Easter!

(This egg heard about the amazing abilities of your checks and he decided, "If a paper check can do it, then so can I!" Look at him trying so hard! You gotta love him for his determination! (Or is that "her"? It is a pink egg.) Whichever... I say, "Bounce on little eggie!"
Old 04-11-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm a little concerned about your friend, eggie, here. I sure hope he/she doesn't become scrambled! lol

Old 04-11-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Wow..you are a amazing woman!! I am so glad that you are getting medical taken care of...
(((((((((((((Serenity)))))))))))))))
love north
Old 04-11-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So glad to see everything beginning to come together for you. Take care, Judy.