Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support > Step Study > Step 7
Reload this Page >

Humbly, on our knees, asked Him to remove our shortcomings-holding nothing back

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well? That's what the original manuscript says!

Kind of harsh, isn't it? But why humbly? For me, this is merely aligning ourselves properly with God.

And what do we do in the 7th Step? We ask. Not beg or plead. It's a simple spiritual act; to just ask. Ask means verbalize. It's sort of like expressing an intent to the Universe, to God. Or from Todd Michael's The Twelve Conditions Of A Miracle, "III. Asking. Clarify your true needs. If you don't clearly put your request into words, the universe won't even know to respond."

So ask. Then of course, there's this prayer. It ends with , "Amen."

No "Amen" after the 3rd Step Prayer.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

how are u?I just got onn here.New at this online meeting and cant spell that good
Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
cornbread, welcome to SR! Keep reading and posting, you'll get the hang of it.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cornbread29 View Post
how are u?I just got onn here.New at this online meeting and cant spell that good
Welcome! As my dad would say, "You can't learn any younger."

You can practice in here, Bud. I haven't seen any spelling nazi's yet.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How do I know if I'm done with this step? What I've read tells me that just reading (and meaning) the prayer pg 76 pgh. 2 is all I need to do. I have, over and over but I feel there should be more. The "MY PART" in my 5th step inventory; is that what I'm praying to be removed? Well, I still have them or feel them. What am I doing wrong? What am I missing here. I asked this last nite at my home group and I didn't really get an answer or one that I could understand. I am at my meetings, I am fine. I talk/email my sponsors, I am fine. I use online sources (SR) and I am fine. I get beyond these 4 walls and I'm 'not' fine.

Thank you for any advise.

Amy
Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you saying you've come to terms with something that's inside of you that's causing others harm; and you're not willing to let God remove it?

You mean 4th Step inventory, right? Who did you 5th step it with?

Well, This is a good question. Don't do anything until you're willing. You may have to pray to God for the willingness...or something like that.

If the willingness doesn't come, then maybe that's because when you did your 6th step, you didn't become willing to have God remove all these defects of character, because in your 5th Step, you held something back or kept some secret from that person you 5th stepped with, because when you were writing your 4th step, you held back on a piece of inventory, because when you did your 3rd step, you didn't turn all of your will and all of your life over to the care of God or didn't decide to let God be the Director, Prinipal, Father and you the agent, child, because in your 2nd Step you didn't decide God was everything or that God could and would do for you what you could not do for yourself because you didn't concede to your inner most self that you're an Alcoholic because you think you have Power over alcohol.

So ask yourself, is this stuff in the "my part" column of your inventory worth drinking bourbon over?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok, yes, I am holding onto one of my defects and it's tough if not impossible to let go. I was wronged....my part in that in all honesty (straight from my inventory) is: No compassion, gave that person power, hate, and unforgiving. Thats all my part. So what I'm thinking is I will not 'get' it until I eliminate my shortcomings or at least ask God to do so.

Amy
Old 04-18-2009, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=McGowdog;2197977]

You mean 4th Step inventory, right? Who did you 5th step it with?
My sponsor

If the willingness doesn't come, then maybe that's because when you did your 6th step, you didn't become willing to have God remove all these defects of character, because in your 5th Step, you held something back or kept some secret from that person you 5th stepped with, because when you were writing your 4th step, you held back on a piece of inventory, because when you did your 3rd step, you didn't turn all of your will and all of your life over to the care of God or didn't decide to let God be the Director, Prinipal, Father and you the agent, child, because in your 2nd Step you didn't decide God was everything or that God could and would do for you what you could not do for yourself because you didn't concede to your inner most self that you're an Alcoholic because you think you have Power over alcohol.

I'm printing this, I think it's important.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Welcome! As my dad would say, "You can't learn any younger."
That's classic. We ought to get a thread on "things dad (or mom) used to say.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Amy! I'm sure your sponsor can/has helped you with this, but don't accept the unacceptable.

If someone kicks me and spits in my face, I defend myself and wipe the spit off and go about my way. If I let that act live and fester in my head from that point on, it becomes my problem. See what I mean?

You did go over the 4th step prayer and stuff, right? Realize that perhaps, they too are sick, just like us. To the extend that my fellows are spiritually sick is the extend that I should wish them well and perhaps keep my distance.

Does any of that... ring true for you?

Originally Posted by dgillz View Post
Ummmm... "Go play on the freeway!" "There's a baby in every bottle." "Beauty is only skin-deep, but ugliness is ground to the bone", "Blatherskite!", "Gobshite!", "Up the rebels!"...

My old man was from County Leitrim Ireland. That rotten old potato has a million of em'.
Old 04-18-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I did the 4th step prayer and even though it took a while, I completed my inventory w/all the honesty I had. After we prayed I was sent home to read and contemplate and yes, I did a thorough 1-5.

The problem I'm having is end pg 66-1st pgh pg 67. I have no problem keeping a distance between me and my 'resentment'; he is sitting in jail facing life in prison. I am just realizing that God can only judge and I need to be happy w/just that (Thy will be done). How do I show him tolerance, pity, & patience for ending a life?

I know, in Gods time as my sponsors keep saying. I need to be open minded that my defects will be taken care of. Your right, I don't want this to be my problem.

Thanks McGowdog for the different angle.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Another angle is this; be clear on the harm you did to him. Did you really do him harm or not?

Giving them power, hating them and not forgiving him is not harm. Forgiveness is not yours to give anyway. Neither is Love. Both those things come from God anyway, right? Now, if you want God to NOT forgive them and you want to continue to resent them, that's a problem for you.

Did you write some inventory and resentments on yourself, btw?

Originally Posted by dgillz
"Are you back yet?" "Don't let your meatloaf." Or in the 70s, we'd pull up to a poor guy trying to hitchhike and my mom would say, "Phil! What are you doing? We're not gonna let this guy in the car with our children!" Then my dad would wait till the guy got up to the door and say, "Hey! Thanks, dude!" And my dad would yell, "GET A JOB!!!!!!! or GET A HAIRCUT!!!!!!!!" and speed off!

My dad was honery. Gee. I wonder where I got this kind, tolerant and lovingness from?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Amy,I ran across a similier situation,but not quite as bad as yours.
Here is what my sponsor told me to do and I did it,and it took several months,but it was removed too.
He told me to pray for the willingness to have God remove it,and go on to step 7 with everything else.I did and prayed for the willingness for several months.Then one day,I noticed it was gone.Poof
Thats what the Big Book says for us to do.Works for me