Notices

God

Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

God

From my experience, Step 2 is where you go immediately after a Step 1 experience.

For the alcoholic, there's but one choice; God or booze.

We become very open about the idea of a God that's personal to us, One we can tap into and experience, once we come to terms with our experience and perhaps future with booze, and our willingness to "become willing" to consider our own conception of God.

The book tells us where our "conception" of God is... deep down within ourselves is the "fundamental idea of God".

AA does not corner the market on God. There are many paths. It is said that AA doesn't even corner the market to sobriety. But it's the most successful solution to recover drunks on the planet. It's not the only show in town. It's just the best show in town.

Some people go to church and perhaps get it there. Church is wonderful for some. In fact, the book says that you should stay active in any religious denominations that we are accustomed to or were attending. The religous view of AA is that it should not interfere with any prior or current affiliations whatsoever. AA does not exclude Christians, Muslems, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. AA is just not allied with any particular one. AA is for alcoholics who want to recover. The problem with religion for an alcoholic like me is the fact that... at the end of the day, when they stub their toe, they don't drink. I drink.

So no matter what, I stay plugged into AA. It's that simple for me.

Booze drives me to God. And it's not a fun trip.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Another thing that Step 1 gives me in order to open the door a bit to God... is to consider my life right now on my own power. How's that working?

Now... my life with or without God. Is this all there is? Is there anything past here?

Maybe this is it. This is the edge of the cliff and God will take me no further. There is no God... for me. There is God for you and you, but He's done with me.

Or... maybe... just maybe God can and will take me further in all areas of my life... if I let Him. Maybe there's a whole new dimension out there for me... with God.

"Who am I to say there's no God?"

God is!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hope in Step 2

I am grateful that I could utilize my religious backround to rely on God, HP to lean on while entering AA and started to work the steps.

God did not keep me sober. The walls of AA do contribute to my sobriety and recovery, one day at a time.

I leaned on the incredible members of AA as my HP, along with God, to restore me to sanity. I still fell crazy some days and thank God/HP for meetings and the steps to align my thinking.

When I came into AA, after Rehab, I witnessed and wanted what the you had...that was and is my hope.

I cannot thank God/HP/AA for the courage to be honest, open and willing to admit/accept my alcoholism.

This drunk and pill popper's gratitude is immeasurable. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today, by the grace of an ever loving presence (which i chose to call god) and a 12 step program of recovery i have been recovered from the symtoms of alcoholism (not cured).

Today i chose to do gods will and he in return choses life and freedom from active addiction and alcoholism for me.

Today i am truly blessed and grateful.............amen
Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

norwaygal....
Thanks for sharing here with us
Welcome to SR
Old 09-20-2009, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i had the concept.....it was just the concept was rooted in fear and dread.

letting go of old concepts and ideas was a big deal for me.....re-invent if you like.

in the beginning "my concept"....blocked my willingness to embrace a loving god....

talks with my then priest....mother and various others helped me to unravel some of that unfounded fears and to be honest.....bs.

my connection turned into something beautiful......with time.

for me....that old twisted concept will keep my drunk.

nice post dog.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

power

For me, the concept of god as a being that controls the universe doesnt fit with my current religious convictions.
of course, that didnt have anything to do with step two
In step one I admitted that I was powerless over alcohol - meaning that I cannot stop drinking of my own accord, and I need help, and that my life was unmanageable - the symptoms of my ridiculously heavy drinking...life in shambles, no hope or self respect, homeless, in bad health, physically dependent..i had no one left in my life, I was utterly ALONE.
Step two for me was admission that yes the reasons for all of the above stuff was that I was in full flight from reality, and so self centered that it would be as impossible to dig myself free from that as it would be to stop drinking on my own power. "Came to believe that a power greater than myself could restore me..." was making a crack in that impenetrable wall of intellectualism and athiesm I had built up around me, without even giving it much thought. I was kind of a nihilist I guess. I had to accept that I was going to have to find some kind of spiritual solution. I took it as a kind of experiment, and a decision to start investigating spirituality to see if anything resonated with me. Some things did (Tao Te Ching was one of my first spiritual books), and some things didnt (the bible, and the chapter to the agnostic )
Step three was the decision to move forward and place this newfound spiritual path in the forefront of my mind..but thats another thread.
Thanks for sharing with us McGowdog!