Notices

What do you to occupy your mouth and hands?

Old 04-04-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

What do you to occupy your mouth and hands?

I have heard chew gum or hard candy.
I am not worried baout ym hands. Its the taste and actual act of draggin the cigarette that gets me.
I would love to find some sugar free hard candies. I cant chew gum all the time because of my partial. It sticks and is a PIA to get off it.
I want to smoke most when I drive or am on the computer. I also smoked alot during those times.

What if anythig have yall done to replace the motions?
Old 04-04-2009, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Twizzlers really worked for me. I would nibble away on them. I tried slim jims but they didn't work as well because they turned into a sort of cud, ew!
Old 04-04-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I lOOOve slim jims. I would get so fat eatin those. Twizzlers!! Brilliant. I will try it.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good Luck, girl! Quiting cigarettes ranks very high on my accomplishment list. I'm pulling for you.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I use suckers. Dumdums come in a wide assortment of flavors - bubble gum, watermelon, cherry, coconut, pineapple, cotton candy, pretty much you name it and they have it.

Also, I am using patches and nicotine gum.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Twizzlers, two pound bag
Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Life!

Good and Plenty!

I should be doing sugar free candies though. The sugar coating is enough to gag a maggot! But, I love the black licourice!

Shalom!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am not a black licorice fan. SO I will stick to the cherry or strawberry.
Goin shopping Tues. I am adding twizzlers to my list.
Some sugar free hard candy. They had these really good ones in the candy shop. But I havent found them anywhere else.
Dum Dums too. Just gotta hide em from the lil cousins or they will be all gone.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well..Got me a big 2lb bag of twizzlers and a bag of dum dums. LOLThey have these sour filled twizzlers. I had to try those. They are pretty good.
Also got some green tea and honey for the evening time.
It is getting easier.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Twizzlers- brilliant! They're going on my list too.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Originally Posted by historyteach View Post
Good and Plenty!

I should be doing sugar free candies though. The sugar coating is enough to gag a maggot! But, I love the black licourice!

Shalom!
Day 32 here.

I LOVE licourice! It is one of the candies I have been eating like it is going out of fashion. Yum, yum, yum. It has to be a certain brnad though or else it is just to sweet. Only one of the three supermarkets in my town sell it and I am going there this morning.

I try to drink a lot of water and I chew gum. I have false teeth too and just buy the stuff that won't stick. This was a trial and error excercise before I stopped smoking.

My cousin called me a 'non smoker' the other night on the phone and it sounded weird. I told her that I still felt like a smoker. I have been pondering her comment ever since. Anyone else care to comment?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Isnt it cool tho. "non smoker" LOl Who woulda ever thought I would be classified as such.
I have been smokign since I was 12. I know..thats awful.
So that 21 yrs of the nasty nasty habit. OMG..I was a baby yet.
It feels really good. I know that.
I was filling in a thing that asked if you smoked. And I was so proud to put..NO!
Night time still gets me a little. That and in the morning. But it passes pretty quick.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Anyone else notice that cigs smell like they use to before you started smoking? As in gross??? Just noticing this over the last few days too. makes me wonder why I have been putting it into my body all these years....
Old 04-08-2009, 02:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lizw View Post
Anyone else notice that cigs smell like they use to before you started smoking? As in gross??? Just noticing this over the last few days too. makes me wonder why I have been putting it into my body all these years....
It's disgusting! To think that I stank like that and didn't care....yeeeeeeeeeeeeuk!!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I thought they stunk when I smoked. I just didnt care, Especially when its really cold outside and peple come in from smoking. It has this really strong nastier smell.
I do feel like I can breathe deeper now.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today is Day 1 for me. I smoked my last cigarrette this morning and that's all I can smell.

Thank you for starting this thread because I was just thinking the same thing. I reached for gum and there were only 2 pieces!

Mornings and driving I think are going to be the hardest. I didn't want to smoke this morning until I got all tied in knots over something and thought I would hyperventilate or cry. I went and dug the darn things out.

I have been taking a half dose of Chantix for the past three days so I think it is helping. I have patches too but I'm not sure if I should do the patches AND the Chantix. I think if I could get a week in, I will be good to go. I've never tried to quit and I've never been more than 2 days without a cigarette.

I'm definately going to invest in some Twizzlers (YUM!) and gum. I can't wait to do laundry and get everything washed and Febreeze my van! Luckily the weekend is going to be beautiful and I can air it out.

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Driving is tough for me. I use to smoke alot driving.
Your close to the ocean. So warm weather would have me right on the beach.
Wish there was ocean here.
I have been eating dums dums like crazy.
I got the munchies bad last night.
I am chewing on this dum dum now like my dog does her toys..LOL
Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Good to hear MrsMagoo! How about joining the Daily Check-In to post your progress? http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-vii-7.html

Some great ideas here chiy, thanks for starting this post. My addiction was definitely an oral fixation that persisted after I quit. Chewing gum left the insides of my cheeks sore and raw. I used sunflower seeds as a substitute for many years.

Now that I'm on Weight Watchers I have to avoid the seeds and candy's with sugar in them. I've found that most grocery stores have at least a few types of sugar-free stuff. My local Sprouts market has a huge selection. They've even got sugar-free gummie bears, yum! And I still chew one stick of SF gum every day.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

best sugar free hard candy i've found is baskin robbins... they have them in most grocery stores, drugstores, etc. i used to buy them for my dad all the time when he was ill, he couldn't have sugar. i really like them, and they're low cal which makes me happy.

candy cigarettes?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Ha, ha Emimily! (Candy cigarettes!).

I actually went home at lunch and promptly got into an arguement with AH. I noticed that he had bought cigarettes so I stopped and helped myself to ONE because I was upset. I know, I know - no excuse! Boy do I stink now!

Astro - thanks for the invite! I'll check it out. I'm gonna need all the help I can get!

Chy - yes, VERY close to the beach but it's a little chilly down there still (especially the water). It's supposed to be in the upper 70's Friday and I'm OFF WORK so I may have to go and let the little one play in the sand and feed the seagulls.