Notices

Day 27.... pure discomfort

Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Day 27.... pure discomfort

I'm doing really well today, overall. I had a nice day, went to work and got to be outside most of the day playing in the mud... fabulous! I love days when I can actually go outside and geologize. While I was working though I was extremely shaky; I couldn't write in my notebook. I had trouble climbing up some rocks, and I kept losing my balance. I was so clumsy I couldn't even aim my rock hammer properly, kept missing what I wanted to hit... and managed to hit my own shin in the process.

By this afternoon I was feeling really awful. My muscles are tight and I'm really uncomfortable, sitting, standing, or laying down. And all my muscles feel tired. I want to lay down and do nothing, but I can't get comfortable.

About the time this weird discomfort started today I wanted a drink, because I know that will make my muscles relax a little bit. For the first time I missed the taste of beer. But it's ok. I didn't drink. I'm toughing it out; the craving is gone now, at least. I have no idea if this malady is alcohol-related or not, but it is no fun whatsoever and my brain keeps whispering at me, telling me a beer would make me feel better. Blah. Shut up, brain.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

gneiss,

I'm glad you didn't drink, you're right, it's just the addictive voice. The beer will not make you feel better. There's a flu making the rounds. Take some Vitamin C, a hot shower and maybe some tylenol. It will pass.

Love,

Lenina
Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Never settle.

I just resorted to threats against my brain. Threatened to stab it with a Q-tip if it didn't stop telling me I wanted a beer.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi gniess,

When I saw my therapist Monday for the first time in quite a while and told him about my drinking problem I remember him mentioning something about people who abuse alcohol have a very hard time once that first month of sobriety rolls around. To be honest what he said exactly escapes me at the moment but I do remember him mentioning something about it. But maybe that is what it is. I'm seeing him again this next Thursday so hopefully I'll remember to ask him about that.

Congrats on the 27 days. Hope you feel better.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am glad you didnt drink.
Great job on 27 days.
I have days like that too. Where it seems everything goes wrong. And its just little aggravating stuff. Like banging into stuff, dropping stuff. Just little annoying crap like that all day long. Its those little aggravating things that get me so mad and ready to explode.
They only last a day or two usually.
They do suck.
Hang in there. It wont last forever.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Thanks, zandre. I've been this far once before and didn't have trouble with it. My tough spot is usually about 3 weeks. But... who knows? It's a bit different every time.

Lenina was right. Hot shower really helped. Not 100% but I feel much better. Can't do Tylenol though, I took some Advil earlier for a headache. I try not to mix drugs, after all :sardonic laughter:

Thanks Chiynita. It really is annoying little stuff, just added together.

And thanks Phal. Just for chillaxin' here. Sockboy.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

we need a sardonic laughter smiley.
I'm glad you got through it, Gneiss.

D
Old 04-01-2009, 11:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi gneiss,

When I first came to this site and started going to meetings, I desperately wanted to stop drinking but I found I could only stay sober for about a month at a time. Then, I would get restless and I would remember how good a drink would feel. It was my solution and my mind didn't have sufficient willpower to remember how bad it was when I drank. It's the mental obsession part of my disease. If all we had was the physical allergy (cravings that start once we take a drink) then being alcoholic wouldn't be fatal. The mental obsession is the really hard thing that I couldn't overcome without my programme.

The thing is, if you are alcoholic like me, we can't stay stopped.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Never settle.

So far I haven't proven that I can stay stopped. Made it about 2 months last time. It was horrible to have to start my count over.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi again Gneiss. That's ok. If you are alcoholic, you are doing what we do best - we drink. The problem comes when we try to stop.

If, when you honestly want to stay stopped, you find you can't and if, once you start to drink, you find you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably suffering from a disease that means you can't recover without help.

My sober date is below. We can and do recover.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Hi again Gneiss. That's ok. If you are alcoholic, you are doing what we do best - we drink. The problem comes when we try to stop.

If, when you honestly want to stay stopped, you find you can't and if, once you start to drink, you find you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably suffering from a disease that means you can't recover without help.

My sober date is below. We can and do recover.
Thanks Pilgrim. I'm pretty much down to only wanting to use when I get stressed out or not feeling well, and I find I can usually handle those cravings pretty well. And it alternates between my two DOCs, one of which is alcohol. Thanks for the support.

I feel much better today. My muscles are sore from being so tense all yesterday, but other than that I feel fine. Tomorrow I have another day of playing in the mud, and I'm really excited about it. Thanks to everyone! :ghug
Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
gneiss,

I'm glad you didn't drink, you're right, it's just the addictive voice. The beer will not make you feel better. There's a flu making the rounds. Take some Vitamin C, a hot shower and maybe some tylenol. It will pass.

Love,

Lenina
i know this because i have Hep-C. and have done a bit of research into the Liver. Tylenol is Very bad for the liver and i am sure many of us here need to completely avoid Tylenol at all costs.
the following is a small quote from an article. ( i don't meet the requirements to submit a url link)
"Acetaminophen is more likely to cause liver toxicity at nearnormal
doses when used by people who drink alcohol."

Last edited by johnsin; 04-03-2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: referenced removed text
Old 04-03-2009, 02:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmm...
You might want to consult a doctor and have test done
concerning swings in your blood sugar.
Many of us have undected hypoglycemia

For the newly sober....it's really w wise idea....

Well done on your sober time