Notices

1st Time Ever Ever Ever

Old 03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st Time Ever Ever Ever

I've never really tried to stop drinking & never sought any formal help. Except it finally dawned on me that the severe, chronic diarrhea I've been having for the last 9 months is from alcohol. Now I'm having burning stomach/abdominal pain. It's probably from the 1 to 1 1/2 bottles of wine I've been drinking every night, ya think? After a little bit of Internet research this weekend, I got the idea this might get really bad if I keep this up.

If I don't drink at night, especially after a stressful day at work, I won't know what else to do with myself. I won't drink tonight (probably), because my stomach hurts too much. But by tomorrow night, I'll be ready to buy wine on my way home from work. Help? Advice?

I'm not good at asking for helping or accepting it, and I'm not good at groups. (Probably one of the reasons I ended up here.) Thanks for those who are helping us newcomers.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would go to your doctor and be totally honest. It could be the drinking but it would be a good idea to get it checked out anyway.

SR is a wonderful place. There are quite a few people who use SR in their recovery and don't go to meetings.

Welcome.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

advice?.......you bet......get to a doctor and be totally honest about your drinking..and subsequent problems.

Welcome to sr ........here you will find a wealth of support and advice..

i am a chronic alcoholic that doesnt drink today.......i wanted you to know it is possible to recover from alcoholism.

I use aa and the 12 twelves to mantain my sobriety and contentment.

Have you tried it?......if not dip your toe in the water and give it a go.

There are also other recovery programs....i have no experience of these but
others on sr do with success........check out the threads and see what you think.

Try to focus on what you need to do.....and worry about what your gonna do with your time later.

Keep coming back here to let us know how your doing.

god be with you.......trucker
Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well I'm pretty new here myself only just about 7 days sober and I'm a youngan (20) but this is a great place to start. Everyone here is extremely helpful and supportive. My limited knowledge and advice would be to make an appointment with your doctor and tell him about your situation. I know I'm not much help but others here can be of much more assistance.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

One of the things that really helped me when I first quit drinking, was changing my habits. I always drank as soon as I got home from work, while I cooked dinner. So..I joined the gym, started going to AA and I did not stay at home right after work. I cooked quick dinners or crock pot or something but for the first two weeks, I stayed VERY busy!
I had to get used to NOT drinking. AA and being around other alcoholics who wanted to get sober helped a lot too. And I joined SR and got online support as well.
You can do this!
Old 03-29-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had that too restart - good news is that my innards righted themselves when I quit.

I'd still get it checked out tho. I was lucky - I'm sure you found out all the things it *could* be.

Bad news is - as you've found - it's not enough to force you to stop for any length of time.

That's part of the insanity of drinking btw - if I was sick with diarrhea for a week nowadays I'd be knocking down the door at the local clinic...let alone 9 months.

Don't wait to find out whatever else is in store for you if you continue drinking.
Take the clear message your body is giving you now.

Read around - there's lots of support and advice here - lots of ways to freedom.

Good luck and welcome
D
Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I had a nice stay in the hospital with Pancreasitis due to drinking. The symptoms were very similar. Go to a doctor. Welcome to SR and I hope you stay around.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I would have that checked out like already said.
Stopping can be risky.
This is a wonderful place for info and support.
Anything is possible if you want it bad enough.
Hope to see more of you.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had that too restart - good news is that my innards righted themselves when I quit.

I'd still get it checked out tho. I was lucky - I'm sure you found out all the things it *could* be.

Bad news is - as you've found - it's not enough to force you to stop for any length of time.

That's part of the insanity of drinking btw - if I was sick with diarrhea for a week nowadays I'd be knocking down the door at the local clinic...let alone 9 months.

Don't wait to find out whatever else is in store for you if you continue drinking.
Take the clear message your body is giving you now.

Read around - there's lots of support and advice here - lots of ways to freedom.

Good luck and welcome
D
Dee74, you're so right. And I'm afraid to know what my body is telling me; it's obviously bad news. But you're also right that I'm afraid it's not enough to make me stop. As soon as I stop for a little while and I feel better, I'm afraid I'll be right back at it again.

Thanks for the support.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Going to the drs may be a great start...you can get some advice about what to do - at the very least you might find out something about what you're doing to yourself that helps make up yr mind?

I didn't do that - carried on drinking for years...

I nearly died in the end - but I'm 2 years sober now...and I drank 24/7, so it's never easy, but it's always possible

D
Old 03-29-2009, 09:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Chiynita: Risky to stop? Do you mean the risk of seizures? I don't want an excuse to keep drinking! I'm not ready to go to my doctor & admit to an alcohol problem. . . I'm just not there yet.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

just on what chiy says...it can be risky to stop...at least in terms of what might happen...and it's always a good idea to have a doctor involved in detox for that reason.

I could tell you you'll probably be ok
But I'm not a doctor and it doesn't mean much.

Play it safe, ok?

There's no good reason to keep drinking, restart.

good luck again
D
Old 03-29-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I meant if your having all those symptoms while drinking. It would probably be a good idea to get medical advice on stopping.
I didnt mean it was an excuse to drink. The few days or weeks of W/D is nothing compared to a lifetime of sickness from continuing to drink.
I am not a drinker so I dont know what its like. But I have seen it.
It only gets worse with drinking.
But if your not ready ..your not ready.
We are here for support anytime you need it.

Just take care of yourself.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Restart, I definitely think you should go to the doctor. Your health issues can be from many things. Who knows, you could be allergic to wine? Many years ago, I actually had a doctor tell me to have a couple of drinks to help my stomach. To me, a bottle of wine does not sound like a lot, but maybe it is. Plus, it is all relative. I would first find out if alchohol is causing you health issues and if not, then decide if it is causing you problems.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Restart, l know that feeling well.
After a terrible time you start feeling better again and you think 'Oh.. it wasn't all that bad, l be more carefull this time"
That happened to me 1000 times.
The last time was 6 weeks ago.
After the 2nd beer l can't remember the next 3 weeks.
Then it dawns on you that maybe everybody is right.
You just can't do it any more.
Just stop.
Your life,your appearence and your health will improve.
And what are you really missing ?
a lot of hassle.
Be lucky...

Never take the advice of someone who has not had your kind of trouble.
- Sidney J. Harris. -
Old 03-29-2009, 11:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Absolutely ....please see your doctor and be completely
honest about your drinking. You may need a
professionally supervised de tox.

Another plus to seeing your doctor is to rule out
other problems that may or may not have anything
to do with your drinking.

Don't want to discuss your drinking with your doctor?
Then please go to another doctor.

Welcome to SR.....
Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Restart! Not much better advice around that what you've already gotten....as you will find out as you stick around, Dee always says what I was going to say, except he says it first, so do as Dee suggested. I understand your fear of what your body is telling you, but if you keep drinking, obviously, the news is not going to get any better. Stick around! Jomey
Old 03-30-2009, 04:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You're not ready to see a doctor about your drinking? Things will only get worse, you know. PLease get medical help in detoxing. After the alcohol is out of your system you can stay sober one day at a time. It is possible to live without alcohol, and your life and health will be so much better for it. Please be safe while detoxing. It can be dangerous.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR restart, you have gotten some excellent advise, please at least follow some of it and see a doctor!!!!

I did the diarreah deal for about 5 years, it got worse never better, just like my drinking did, I did not draw a sober breath for the last 5 years of my drinking. When I knew that my drinking was going to kill me if I did not stop is when I went to a doctor and was totally honest with him.

Here was my choices, go into detox and possibly live through detoxing or not go to detox and keep on drinking assuruing myself an alcoholic death, or trying to stop on my own and dying from withdrawals.

Well I went into detox as the doctor suggested, and then I went to AA after detox as they suggested, that was 2 1/2 years ago, no more diareah, no more swollen liver, I am sober and I am happy being sober.

The first thing I would suggest is to see a doctor and then go from there.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I was scared to see my doctor about my drinking. I waited until I had no choice in the matter because I was rushed to the ER. That really sucked, and I wished I had gone in on my own... Medical supervision can be very important when you detox. I didn't follow those rules, I just stopped, however.. it can be deadly.

My counselor had me write down the first "rule" on how to quit drinking, and it was "Don't buy any alcohol", and the second was, "if you find alcohol you didn't have to buy, don't drink it.". Is it really that simple? Actually .. it is. the hardest part is making those decisions over and over until they become less and less of a thought. I can't remember the last time I thought about drinking.. I honestly cant, and that is a very very FREE feeling to have. I hope you get the help you need!