Notices

When can I expect the cravings to stop?

Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When can I expect the cravings to stop?

They are almost unbearable now.

I was a wine drinker, about a bottle and a half 5-6 nights a week. The longest sober I have had was 62 days and that was until Dec 08, when I decided I was not really an alcoholic.

Now I am back and have 3 days but terrible cravings. I went out with a sober girlfriend tonight (an old friend that I found on Facebook!), she has not had a drink in 7 years. I told her about my problem and she said it took her about six months to live normally. No AA or any other program, every day she just tells herself that she'll drink tomorrow if she still wants to.

So, my questions are:

1) Am I going to be able to live normally without this constant yearning? When?

2) I am taking Kudzu Root that is recommended to help with cravings. I don't like to put drugs in my body prescription or otherwise. However, I may change my mind if there is something that can help with this. Is there anything that can help with the cravings at night?

I am feeling so bad. Day 1 was great, I drank the night before so it was easy to not drink or even think about it. Day 2 was a bit harder but I did it using this forum. Day 3---now, just totally going crazy.

I am worried about tomorrow. Afraid it is going to get worse.

I want this so bad and I want to be able to do anything at night except feel this terrible yearning. I so admire all of you that have time and I want to wake up feeling glorious every day and enjoy my life like I see others here are. Kudos to you!

Regarding AA, it was not for me. I found that people (men and women) tended to latch onto me (it was only those with little sobriety if any) and I backed away. Men were hitting on me, I had a couple of them stare at me through the entire meeting making me extremely uncomfortable. I put my number down on the meeting list a couple times which ended up with two different and newly sober women calling me repeatedly and waving/trying to get my attention at meetings even though I avoided them. I DO want to help others but the neediness of the others really made me not want to go to meetings.

Please do not mistake my trepidition in getting close to others as being pompous or in any way above any one else. I am just wary of forming close relationships, particularily with those that only have a couple days, a week, maybe a month sober. That is the primary reason AA did not work for me.

I am so, so thankful for this forum. Right now it is my only hope, if I didn't know about it I would think the only way was AA and I would just be totally lost.

Thank you, bless you,

Beach Angel xo
Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Never settle.

Can't make a blanket statement. The cravings for alcohol were terrible for a week or so for me, and then consistently slacked off. But I still have them occasionally, they are not so bad. More like a vague "A beer might be nice right now." And then, within a few minutes it is gone. Days 4 and 5 were the worst. I basically asked a friend to babysit me. I played Phase 10 so many times it was sick, but it kept me sober! Distract yourself, it helps.

I've not taken any drugs for cravings. Chocolate and fresh fruit really helped me though. I think, for me, a lot of my alcohol cravings were carb cravings as much as actual alcohol. So eating some bread smothered with Nutella and an orange was great! Stick with it, Beach Angel. I know the cravings are miserable but you made it 3 days! Can you make it to noon tomorrow? I bet you can. And if you can make it to noon, I think you can make it to 5:00. And then maybe bedtime.

I don't do AA either. My one meeting was weird. I had a guy hit on me, as well. And other things drove me away from the program, but they key is not to focus on what doesn't work. Find what does.

One day at a time? Ha. I had to take it 10 minutes at a time for the first week. Keep posting!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great work on 3 days, I found the cravings terrible for the first week, but survived eating tons of sweets (which i never normally eat)
28 days and I still think about having a drink everday, I try and get busy when I have that feeling and it eventually passes.
You have done 62 days previously (more than I ever have) so I am sure you can do this.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm at just over 60 days here, where you were and I still get cravings.

A candy or chocolate bar helps me, still.

Also, pie and ice cream makes my day now.

I've made many mad dashes out to get ice cream before the shop closes, just as I used to do to get booze.

I'm not into AA either at this point, although I still leave the option open for the future.

When I get the cravings at night, I always have a glass in my hand, filled with fresh juice, and sip away just like the old days. It works for me.

Day 3.... yeah... I remember it was still crazy then.

Day 4 was better, that's when I could finally sleep somewhat properly.

Take your vitamins, drink lots of fluids, you're doing great!

Day by day it does gets better.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

By 2 weeks....mine had lessened both in severity and time.
By 2 months...they had vanished.
I used no drugs or herbs or weeds.

I was also following an eating plan + supplements
that I found in the book "Under The Influence"

Good to see you again....
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am feeling a bit better now, I believe it is because I have been reading threads and posting to help others (hopefully!). Reading and posting takes my mind off things, here, in my own head. I feel like ripping my head off and throwing it across the room because it keeps going back to "you need a drink chickie!" over and over again. A drink solved everything for so many years and I am so used to a quick fix.

So happy to be here. Thank you!

Beach Angel xo
Old 03-27-2009, 11:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi BeachAngel!
Yup, the cravings will definitely go away. Well, they did for me.
I am so sorry about your experience in AA. That really sucks!
I have had quite the opposite experience.
But I do have to say that I went to women's meetings for the first week. I listened to the women that sounded like they had something I wanted. Then I asked them about other good meetings in the area.
Early morning meetings (like 630-7am) usually bring a different group of folk. People that are sometimes a little more willing to work on their recovery. It is not as "social". If you are willing to get your butt to a meeting that early, you probably really want to stay sober today. So, if you can, you might want to try that out.
But regardless if you go another way than AA, be kind to yourself the first 30-60 days. Drink lots of water, take vitamins, decrease caffeine and sugar, eat well and gets lots of sleep! Saunas are good!
Ah, and I changed up my routine and starting exercising and taking classes (like kickboxing and yoga) so I would busy myself during my regular drinking time.

Good luck! Just don't drink, no matter what
Old 03-27-2009, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Welcome! This place really helps me too... great people here!

Thankyou for your friend's phrase... I'll still drink tommorow if I still want one, that's awsome. Another one to add to the list!

Good luck to you, go for day 4! And well done on those 62 days... I quit myself for 3 months about a year ago, difference was, I wasn't doing it for me.

You can do it!
Old 03-28-2009, 03:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Beach Angel,

Happy to hear you are doing better. I have to look at the cravings as part of the lie that a drink will make me feel better. I have to keep reminding myself that booze is one huge lie, that the commercials are an illusion, that the reality is cold sweats, waking up drenched in sweat, wondering is some little fairy came in and splashed me with water while I was sleeping. We confuse fun with drinking, but drinking is not fun. It is a distraction from life, a way to avoid life and a way to avoid ourselves.

You sound like a beautiful lady with many great years ahead of you. Listen to your heart and find your own way to stop the lie in your life. AA is not the only way, you have to find whatever works for you. If you determine you need support, you can create your own support network, starting here at SR.

62 days, way to go, at least you know you can do this.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Beach,

The cells in your brain are screaming for the euphoric feeling that alcohol gave them. Once they adjust to a "normal" brain chemical atmosphere your cravings will subside. The length of time it takes to do that will vary from person to person. For me the cells screamed loudest when they wanted something the most. Them being like a baby I used to pacify them. But now when they whine I treat them as spoiled brats who need a lesson in temperament and humility.

I somewhat understand your AA issues, I am not AA but I hold AA in high regard for all it does and has done. If you once thought that it would work then maybe it still will. You had a bad experience but there must be more than one group in NJ. Also, someone had a thread about AA in here talking about standing your ground about hugs and such at AA. No one is forcing you to hug. Yes, I remember now. It was trucker and another bloke from across the pond. They were referring to Americans as being a more tactile. Well, perhaps that's so. But they also said that you can just tell people you don't want to hug. As far as the relationship thing goes, I can understand that, but most times to make relationships succeed we need to submit to them. That means taking chances and seeing what happens.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My doctor put me on Campral to help restore the brain's chemisty and to help with cravings. Maybe you can ask your doctor about it. It helped me a lot.

The cravings will lessen in time. The longer you stay sober, the fewer and less intense the cravings will be. You can do this. Give yourself time and be good to yourself. Lots of water and juice, B vitamins, and good food. Lots of rest is good also.

:ghug3
Old 03-28-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

I think that the $60,000.00 question there for everybody. As far as the deep physical needing for alcohol that typically lasts for 2 weeks or so I'm told. When I quit I was so disgusted and repulsed by it that any craving that popped up for it was quickly shot down. Also help that shortly after I quit I got real sick for a while so made my craving for it any more less.

Though the actual physical cravings are gone there's still always this little desire for it. And I can only assume that will probably stay with me for many years down the road. But it's never been a overwhelming "I HAVE TO DRINK!" feeling. Usually pretty brief and gone as quick as it came. Stuff like the other day I was watching something I recorded and when I was fast forwarding through the commercials I stopped briefly at a beer commercial and could almost feel a little taste for it again. Or if I'm out back on a nice day suddenly will get a vision of filling up my cooler and tossing a few back. But as I said it's never anything serious and after a few moments the feeling passes. Just keep your mind and body busy with something if you're having some bad cravings and remember no matter how bad it may feel it will pass.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Beach Angel: YES, they will go away! I was plagued by constant using thoughts. I was drinking enormous quantities of liquor when I quit, (I was a daily drinker), and I estimate now that I had between 2 to 5 compulsive drinking thoughts an hour.
Yeah, it was my life.
If I wasn't thinking about when to drive to the liquor store it was when to have the first drink, what to drink, how much, where to hide it....and so on.

After about two weeks I noticed a big drop in the hourly thoughts. After about six weeks, they dropped to a few times a week and then not even once a day sometimes.
Part of the reason for this of course is that I had to change my lifestyle. My life style WAS drinking. So it is not surprising that I didn't think about much else.

I am doing so much more, and so many different things, with my life now it is...well, hard to believe. I am extrememly grateful that I decided to finally quit. And...start living again.
Hang in there, it will get better!
Old 03-28-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeachAngel View Post
They are almost unbearable now.

So, my questions are:

1) Am I going to be able to live normally without this constant yearning? When?

Beach Angel xo

Hello,

I found that with each passing day of being sober, the cravings became less and they weren't so powerful...

The first three weeks were challenging because cravings were non stop. It did become easier after that period.

I am almost five months sober and I am happy to say that cravings are few.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am not a drinker. I am an addict. So i am not sure I can answer any of your questions.
I am wondering if the cravings for my DOC ever leave.
I am usually good for a few weeks then I get antsy.
But I just have to occupy myself or really relive the last time high in my mind to get them to settle down.
Hang in there.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am embarassed because I am nearly 5 months sober and if I haven't been working on being healthy/taking care of myself I still get cravings.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I still get them.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nearly five months for me. The cravings, for the time being (I'm sure!) have shrunken to occasional thoughts. I find I am still in the habit of watching the clock on Sundays, especially around noon, when the liquor stores open around here.
Haven't had a BAD craving in about a month & 1/2. But the last one I had NEARLY did me in! I live a block & 1/2 from the store. The "madness" hit me, & I started walking towards there, the "voices" arguing back & forth in my head. Stopped about half-way, & headed back home. Just before I got there I turned around AGAIN & headed back to the store! I was about to cross the street, then turned around AGAIN & headed back to the house, & this time I went inside & stayed there. Ten mintutes later, the craving disappeared-not a moment too soon! A little too close for comfort......
Then there are instances like last weekend. It was the second day of Spring, nice & warm, & nearly all the neighbors were having cookouts & and, OF COURSE, drinking beer. It didn't bother me a bit (!). Sobreity is SO unpredictable & crazy.........
Anyway, back to your question... maybe 3 1/2 months? Hang in there. Wait for the "fever" to break- it eventually will.