Notices

First time

Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time

So, I am completely new this this. A few years back I briefly went to outpatient rehab for alcoholism, but clearly that did not work out.

Flash forward to now, almost three years later. My body is physically dependent on alcohol. I get horrible stomach pains when I do not drink and my body gets really shaky. I decided to try and get sober last week. I called an outpatient rehab facility and got an apt to be evaluated the next day. I didn't drink for two days, besides sips of liquor here and there to calm my stomach down, but never enough to be drunk.

I went to the apt on Friday. The woman told me that I need to go to inpatient rehab and a detox program first. Well... God Bless America! *sarcasm* My insurance will not cover a detox program. Also, my insurance will not cover inpatient until I relapse in outpatient at least 3 times. So this counselor I was talking to told me something to the effect of: "Outpatient rehab will not work for you. You will not get better, you need inpatient." Essentially I am being set up for failure in order to get the help that I really need. The counselor went as far as to tell me not to drink this weekend, but then told me that I probably would.

I'm very confused by that last statement. It kept playing in my head over and over again. By Sunday I hadn't really drank anything, but I had managed to convince myself that it would be ok to drink, because that's what they thought I would do. So after a few days without being drunk, I drank. I have never felt so bad in life. I really want to change. I really want to get better. I want to become a better person. I just feel like due to insurance reasons, this is going to take way longer than it should.

Its only been 1 day sober now for me so far. Does it ever get any better?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have been there and detoxed 4 times, never with the aid of insurance. Insurance companies suck. It does get better though.

You can detox on your own, but do what the Dr. says. Alcohol withdrawals can be fatal. The acute w/d will be over in 4 or 5 days most likely. The follow this up with AA or another program.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you checked into the Salvation Army?

My thoughts are with you.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Man..Do I ever know what you are going through. I have about 2 weeks of ranting threads because of this very reason.
Except mine is the total opposite. I am trying to go inpatient and everyone else seems to think I dont need anything more than IOP. (intensive outpatient)
I have been fighting for almost 2 weeks to get them to see my way. But its not doing any good. Insurance doesnt seem to think I need inpatient. So I am stuck with outpatient. I have relapsed from IOP way more than 3 times. I was never officially kicked out. I just never went back about 6 or 7 different times.
I have no advice for you. But I feel you all the way on this one.
Glad you found us. Keep posting. And I hope you find a solution soon.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR.
Well that counselor may be right or may be wrong.
Many people have quit either on their own or with the help of a face to face program such as AA or Smart Recovery.
I am new to sobriety and get my support from this forum
Have you seen a doctor about the physical aspect of withdrawl? If not maybe you should.
To try to answer your question. Things have gotten much better for me since I quit drinking so I say yes.
Try the outpatient route and if it doesn't work try something else but do not give up.
Good luck.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the responses. As of right now my plan is to continue in outpatient, try really really hard (despite what the counselors think), and more than likely I'll have relapsed 3 times by the time this semester is over. At that point I'll probably go to inpatient.

Going there the first time, I really didn't think I had a problem. I mean, I knew I liked to drink. But I'm on the deans list in college. I never miss class. Somehow I managed to pull that off and still drink at least 1.5 liters of wine 6 nights a week. I was crossing my fingers that the woman was going to tell me that I did not have a problem.

There is actually AA meetings across the street from my apartment. However, (Not to offend anyone...) I have a deep hatred for anything involving religion. I am under the impression that AA does deal with that. Are there any alternatives to AA?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Have you seen a doctor about the physical aspect of withdrawl? If not maybe you should."

Basically because I cannot afford a detox program, the rehab place told me to go to the hospital if it gets worse. But, if this **** gets worse, I am not going to sit in a hospital waiting room for hours while I wait to get examined. I'll probably just drink again. Ugh.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Are you planning on relapsing out on purpose? I really hope not.
Who cares what anyone thinks.You do what you have to do for yourself and prove them all wrong.
It does make all the difference in the world when you want to get help as opposed to having to or doing it for other reasons besides for yourself.
And when you admit that you have a problem. It takes alot of the fight out of getting help any way available.
HMm..I may need to listen to myself on this.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

Originally Posted by papercup View Post
Thank you so much for the responses. As of right now my plan is to continue in outpatient, try really really hard (despite what the counselors think), and more than likely I'll have relapsed 3 times by the time this semester is over. At that point I'll probably go to inpatient.

Going there the first time, I really didn't think I had a problem. I mean, I knew I liked to drink. But I'm on the deans list in college. I never miss class. Somehow I managed to pull that off and still drink at least 1.5 liters of wine 6 nights a week. I was crossing my fingers that the woman was going to tell me that I did not have a problem.

There is actually AA meetings across the street from my apartment. However, (Not to offend anyone...) I have a deep hatred for anything involving religion. I am under the impression that AA does deal with that. Are there any alternatives to AA?
I don't do that AA thing personally, but I bet it will be a better place for you to hang out than any other right now try it! Wont hurt a bit.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

A possible alternative to AA is Smart Recovery if there is meetings in your city.
There is nothing near me so I am going it with just the help from people on this forum.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

Please check out the sticky post in Alcoholism
Here is a link to excerpts from the book that got me sober.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Above that link is info for de toxing...and some of our experiences.
Below it is a list of various recovery program for you to explore.

Glad to see you here...we care and understand