Notices

Benzo Question

Old 03-14-2009, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Benzo Question

My doctor prescribed me 10 klonipin to get through detox. They are the lowest mg you can get and I am cutting them in half. I have taken them before, only as prescribed and NEVER abused them. Im not worried about abusing them, but am wondering if 10 klonipin is enough to get physically dependent on them. Dont want any withdrawals its just not worth it. Any info would be great thanks!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Some French tart....

Hello again! Just some info for you:

Klonopin is a benzo receptor agonist. Long term use ( 2-4 weeks) can lead to a number of problems, including muscle fatigue, tolerance and physical dependence and withdrawal symptoms upon discontinuation. The symptoms which MAY appear can be reduced in intensity with gradual reduction of dosage. CARBAMAZEPINE can be used to help with with withdrawal symptons- some brand names of carbamazepine are Tegretol,Biston,Calepsin, and Carbatrol.

Hope this will help. I punched in "Klonopin" in my computer. What dosage are you on? It seems that there are w/d's......
Old 03-14-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Benzos can be dangerous. If the doctor prescribed them to help your detox then follow doctors orders but just know that they are addictive and they can lead to problems if abused.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Nalla, PLEASE refer your questions to your DOCTOR, please?

Others here... please try and refrain from getting too detailed in your medical advice/information giving.

I'd really hate to see someone here get off on the wrong track due to some medical or medication information they received here.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Sorry you are right. I actually did ask my doctor and he said not to worry but frankly I dont think hes ever taken Klonipin. Wanted some first hand honest info. Thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Doctors prescribe Valium as part of the "detox cocktail" here to get off opiates if an addict goes to the ER and is complaining of withdrawals.

Klonopin is one of the most powerful benzos out there, Nalla. Please be careful when taking them. I take it for my Social Anxiety Disorder. It's done wonders for me. But I don't abuse the drug. I've had no desire to ever abuse them.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

careful, careful, careful ........ klonopin will take ya straight to hell.

i'd talk to your doctor about not staying on it for long. Addiction happens, lightning fast.
And if ya stay on it too long, you'll wish you were withdrawing off heroin.

ok very short term but you'll feel like someone thru you into hell if you stay on them too long and try to withdrawal. Been there done that
Old 03-14-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

Thanks guys. I took 1/2 a pill and it did help. Hoping 10 pills wont cause a problem. Maybe I wont need them all anyway.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by Nallabelle View Post
My doctor prescribed me 10 klonipin to get through detox...but am wondering if 10 klonipin is enough to get physically dependent on them.
Let's chat...
Old 03-14-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was on klonopin I abused them right for the, get go. Can't remember not abusing it.
Took me a full year to get off them. The first 2 months were bad.
(I was on 13mg)
Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

These are .5mg and I take half of one. I dont enjoy taking them at all. They do help though. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that I wont abuse them. Not worried about that only that I could get physically dependent. I only have 10. Well 9.5 now.
I am an opiate addict not an alcoholic or klonipin addict. I refuse to believe that every substance I take will lead me to addiction. I just dont want to get dependent physically to be able to sleep.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I thought you meant 10 mg per day. If you stick to only 10 (pills period)to get thru detox (IMHO) it won't hurt you.

Just be very careful around them though, I wasn't a benzo addict before I got addicted to them either.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Emmer, I hear you but I want to say don't be scared off from quitting to any one who needs to know that they CAN.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Go Browns!

thanks yall
Old 03-15-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yeah, i never really thought about my (benzo warning) having the potential to scare off people from quitting.

Good point ((LW))
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

I am an opiate addict not an alcoholic or klonipin addict. I refuse to believe that every substance I take will lead me to addiction. I just dont want to get dependent physically to be able to sleep.
Keep an open mind, Lesley...

...I refuse to believe...
Just keep an open mind.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think everybody on earth has the right to a trust worthy doctor.
But is every doctor trust worthy? Not by any means. There are plenty of doctors out there, that simply put, should not be praticing medicine.

So where does that leave the patient? It leaves the patient in the position of (out of obvious necessity) having to be careful who we allow to care for us.

we have to ask...

Is this doctor addicted to writing prescriptions? (we all know what that means)
Is this doctor addressing my concerns?
Has this doctor been repeatedly reported to the college of phyicans and surgeons?

I'm not saying that all doctors are bad, there are thousands of doctors out there, that are very skilled and caring

I used to think, that any doctor will do just fine.lol
I had to learn one very hard lesson, thru that way of thinking.

So to some it up....
Just as we have to be careful when hiring a lawyer, plumber, carpenter, etc....
We have to use common sence, when dealing with a doctor too.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FrmrlyStgbr View Post
Keep an open mind, Lesley...

Just keep an open mind.

Boy I couldn't have said it better.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Friend

Hey Belle - oh dear I thought you meant 10 mg klonopin. I was like boy oh geez - welcome to the zombie of detox programs, yikes. Anyways, I'm clearly no doc...but you only have 10 pills, no refills, so this obvs way short term and only for detox. I really don't think you have anything to worry about at all, but again, I'm no MD.

As Grizzly pointed out (hi Bear ) - please try to keep an open mind, Bella! I kinda get annoyed when all addicts treat any potentially addictive substance as though it were holy water to a vampire, but you should always be careful. Me? I'm a pill head. Put an aspirin in front of me and my teeth practically sweat. But I can take or leave alcohol and I still have a glass of red wine or so a month with a good steak. Now I don't usually mention that on SR b/c someone may immediately tell me to go to detox...but I understand that anything can happen...and by opening the door I am taking a risk....but I take accountability and go my merry way =)