Notices

First ever AA meeting tonight

Old 03-12-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First ever AA meeting tonight

I am going to my first meeting tonight, 8pm. I'm nervous, excited and apprehensive! Just wanted to say hi and that i think this is a great site. I look forward to joining you all and, most of all, staying sober!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your step and good luck
Old 03-12-2009, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

keep an open mind. A.A was a life saver for me. Im chairing a meeting tonight. I will think of you when we "[I]pause for a few moments and think of the suffering alcoholic both inside and outside of the rooms[/I"] most meetings share this at the beginning of the meeting. Well done on taking your first step....
Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Hi and good for you!

Let us know how it went and stick around SR!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello, good job.. I haven't gotten the nerve to go to one yet.. Getting close.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

way to go girl.......

get a sponsor and work the steps asap.

Once i did that i stopped picking up a drink ...and became contented sober.

If you can....go ten minutes early......with some spare change...and an open mind......

Please please let us all know how you got on..............trucker
Old 03-13-2009, 02:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi again and thanks for your replies. Well, i went, all on my own, and i was so nervous! I shouldn't have been though because they were all very nice indeed, and very welcoming. I didn't have to say anything at all if i didn't want to, one lady said the best thing was to 'just listen'. I did and i have to say i was very impressed. I really want to sort my life out, so i felt i had nothing to lose. I'm so glad i went, i even got a silver chip and everyone clapped lol!!! It was funny and sad, uplifting and inspiring. I will go back! Good luck to everyone xxxx
Old 03-13-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome to SR Ruby.
I am happy that your meeting went well.
It is comforting to be around people that are going through the same things as you are.
There is also plenty of support in this community also when you need or want it.
Good luck in your journey.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Smile

rubyred: keep on going back.. A.A. can open doors to a life you never dreamed possible!!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Glad to hear the meeting went well....I hope you experience many more days of love and fellowship.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR ...

AA? it's an awesome adventure in living sober for me.
I'm really pleased you will be returning to the meeting.

Blessings
Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
Hi again and thanks for your replies. Well, i went, all on my own, and i was so nervous! I shouldn't have been though because they were all very nice indeed, and very welcoming. I didn't have to say anything at all if i didn't want to, one lady said the best thing was to 'just listen'. I did and i have to say i was very impressed. I really want to sort my life out, so i felt i had nothing to lose. I'm so glad i went, i even got a silver chip and everyone clapped lol!!! It was funny and sad, uplifting and inspiring. I will go back! Good luck to everyone xxxx

I enjoyed my first meeting

I also went thru the feelings you did.

Wish you well on your road to recovery
Old 03-13-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

ME TOO - 1st AA meeting!

Well, after Day 2 of detox (yesterday) and joining in on Chat and meetings I got the nerve to go to my first DEDICATED meeting, meaning that I had gone to other meetings with friends, but this was for me!

Interesting story, AA website had not been updated so there was no meeting at the location where I and a few others showed up. I knew of another large meeting (not exactly close by) and rather than go home, drove straight there.

I now KNOW that this is my time and that I want to be happy.

Oh, did call AA today to find another location for tonight, I think I will find my sponsor!

Keep going back and yeaaahhh for you - us! Thanks to all at SR for the great encouragement, it has made such a difference...already...
Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Welcome to the SR Family! I'm so glad you went to a Meeting! Working the Steps of AA and the fellowship are both an enormous part of my Recovery. I know if I hadn't worked the Steps, I would have never been able to stay clean and be in Recovery.

Just taking the chemical out of an alcoholic/addict isn't enough. I know many who are more unhappy now that they are just clean, than they were when they were using. Now that the chemicals we used to numb ourselves with are gone, we have to feel all of those feelings, face the wreckage of our past, find the tools to deal with everyday living . . . without chemicals. For some of us, it has been the better part of our lives that we used so there's many issue to sort through and deal with. The Steps helped me to do all of this.

I hope you will continue to share how your doing on your Journey in Recovery. . . the good, the bad and the ugly. And eventually the bad and ugly will just fade away after you've dealt with these issues and you will find all the good that life has to offer each and everyone of us.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
If you are lost, stand still

Congratulations to both Ruby and Tired!
Old 03-13-2009, 09:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TiredofTired View Post
Well, after Day 2 of detox (yesterday) and joining in on Chat and meetings I got the nerve to go to my first DEDICATED meeting, meaning that I had gone to other meetings with friends, but this was for me!

Interesting story, AA website had not been updated so there was no meeting at the location where I and a few others showed up. I knew of another large meeting (not exactly close by) and rather than go home, drove straight there.

I now KNOW that this is my time and that I want to be happy.

Oh, did call AA today to find another location for tonight, I think I will find my sponsor!

Keep going back and yeaaahhh for you - us! Thanks to all at SR for the great encouragement, it has made such a difference...already...
In MI, a lot of the meetings have small literature libraries with meeting directories, worth looking into and easier than calling.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

AA is a lifesaver for me. I go to about four meetings a week. I get there early and stay late so I can get a chance 2 connect & get to know people. I plan my day around a meeting. I am looking 4 a spo sor rite now so I can start the step work.