Notices

Immodium.... a form of opiate??

Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Some French tart....

Immodium.... a form of opiate??

I have recently read that Immodium is a form of opiate, is this true?

When I come off the subutex, I want to do this right and have planned to do it with Advil, Unisom and Immodium.

Could anyone throw some light on this please?

Kicking out the worst, and hoping for the best,

Ingrid xxx
Old 03-11-2009, 05:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tish28 View Post

I have recently read that Immodium is a form of opiate, is this true?

When I come off the subutex, I want to do this right and have planned to do it with Advil, Unisom and Immodium.

Could anyone throw some light on this please?

Kicking out the worst, and hoping for the best,

Ingrid xxx
In the US, no. Don't know about the EU. OTC medicines with narcotics were pulled off the shelves here around 3 decades ago. I know some of these products containing what are controlled substances in the US are still available in places like Canada and Australia. In any event, these products do have content labels, you should be able to look and see what they contain.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

okay, I just looked it up. It contains loperamide, which is an opiod receptor agonist...which it says binds to opiod receptors but does NOT affect the central nervous system like opiates...in other words, it doesn't get you high.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 03-11-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. I've used it on occasion (not related to detox). I've gotten higher off of a cup of coffee.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

It's fine to take when you're detoxing. It doesn't cross the blood brain barrier. There are opiate receptors in the colon (I think) and this is where it acts. That's why opiates constitpate you! But it's also why Immodium helps with the runs.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I just read your other thread Tish - please tell me you are not coming off 8mg of subs cold turkey? I've seen people struggling when they are coming off 2mg, and they have been on them for a shorter time than you have. The length of your habit makes a big difference, it is not just the dose you are on.

I can't stop you, it's just my advise from what I've read from others. I know you want to be off everything and be done with it. If you're anything like me, you'll try it your way regardless of everyone's advise, lol! So good luck if that is your plan! If it doesn't work out, there are many people here, and your doctor, who can give you their experience in tapering off subs - it doesn't sound like a picnic!

Luv LBx