Notices

fitness??

Old 03-10-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

fitness??

Over the last 18 months ive got a bit lazy.

Ive started a new fitness regime...i plan to build back up to a 4 miles jog.

This was what i was doing 18 months ago......

Im doing a 2 miles walk most days and i gonna start with a 1 mile jog.

Any advice on toning up would help guys.......

I dont need to lose weight just general cardio fitness.

Some of you newcomer are into your fitness so what do you do?

Bear in mind im 42...........trucker
Old 03-10-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Trucker, with my experience in most types of work outs from the Army my best suggestion is to start off slow and work your way up to where you'd like to be at a pace and over the course of time that feels most comfortable to you. Don't over do it, but definitely push yourself as hard as you can stand. And give yourself days in between to let your body repair itself from the physical exertion. Plus it'll help ya build some of that muscle up so you can look good for your wife. This is just the way I'd be doing it from my experiences.
Wes

Last edited by CoF1984; 03-10-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't know if you are a social kind of person but getting an X-R-cise buddy has really helped me. I walk early in the AM and see groups of guys jogging all the time - usually 2-3 in a group..
Since you have been a jogger in the past will probably not take you long to build back up your mileage.. but like CoF says - taking it slow is a good way to go.

It also helps me to plan out the week ahead of time - schedule the work outs..

Also, with age (I am 57) cross-training has become more important in minimizing injury so I swim, walk, jog and also do some classes at the gym.. (ok - I am a bit of a jock)..

Good luck! Your are fortunate not to be overweight - I think that extra weight kills joints when jogging, etc.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

42? Just go lie down Trucker....it's over.

HA HA! Just kiddin!!!!!!!! Sounds like you are off to a good start. One of the keys is your heart rate. For someone your age, a cane, OH! I mean your heart rate....
The idea is to engage in an activity that gets the heart to beat at a certain rate, for a certain length of time, for a certain number of sessions per week, achieving optimum cardiovascular heath and maximum fat burning. At your age the low end of this would be 120 ish and the high is 160........anywhere in between will be a good cardio workout.

Your avatar looks to have a headstart on you!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good topic trucker.

Fitness is a topic i like to
chat about.......

Exercise at any age is good.

Look at Jack LaLane..he's hmmm
how old today? Lets just say he's
much older but is still in great shape
because he dedicate most of his life
to exercise and living a healthy way
of life.

Exercise gets everything moving and
it make u feel better about urself and
life in general.

Lifting weights releases those endophins
in the body to aid against sickness....

If i worded that right.....

Physical work and exercise is so
much better than sitting down
all day.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
42? Just go lie down Trucker....it's over.

HA HA! Just kiddin!!!!!!!! Sounds like you are off to a good start. One of the keys is your heart rate. For someone your age, a cane, OH! I mean your heart rate....
The idea is to engage in an activity that gets the heart to beat at a certain rate, for a certain length of time, for a certain number of sessions per week, achieving optimum cardiovascular heath and maximum fat burning. At your age the low end of this would be 120 ish and the high is 160........anywhere in between will be a good cardio workout.

Your avatar looks to have a headstart on you!
....i actually resemble..man from atlantis...patrick duffy for those that can remember.....

just man from the truck instead of atlantis.......thanks for all advice.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

We should all start a fitness regimen, it would not only help the body but the mind too.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Throw away your walker and cane first trucker...as I have done. Those of us who are of such advanced age need to be able to move around a bit better to get fit without our walking aids. lol

I to have started to get a bit more serious about my fitness. Just a couple of years ago I was running and lifting and feeling GREAT! Want to get back there.

How about riding bike? For 2 years I rode my bike to work. I would drive half way then pop the bike out of my truck and ride the rest....40 mile round trip. I know it's hard to pull a huge trailer full of merchandise with a pedal bike...but maybe you could hop on one after work...it's a great way to get fit and see some countryside!

Peace all!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I need to get on my treadmill and planned to this week. But...I threw my back out this weekend and I don't even know exactly how I did it. I sit all week at work (I'm not allowed to get out of my chair between breaks). I left work early last night. This has never happened to me before (I'm 44). I'm going to have to look it up as it isn't getting any better. Any pointers would be appreciated.
I like the avatar, Trucker.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

I do weights (1 hour a day), elliptical trainer ( 1/2 hr per day), and walk (1hr).
I use the trainer for my cardio instead of jogging because I know too many joggers that have sore ankles from jogging and because you can monitor your heart rate on the machines as VC has suggested.
If you are going to jog I would suggest you do it on grass or dirt instead of pavement.
You should definitely add some weight training to your regime.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Get on your bike sweetie! Its real fun. You can also go roller skating. I myself get board with weights but to be outside or doing a fun sport is my kind of exercise.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow, I can't wait until I have the energy to work out again. I used to almost every day before I started really drinking, now that I've quit I have no energy for anything, I could sleep and eat all day lol! Hopefully this too shall pass..
Old 03-10-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How about some Yoga? I know that you're a big hard macho truck driver but seriously if you look at men who do yoga (at any age) they do have the most incredibly toned bodies. Loads of men are studying it now and if you combine this with a jogging programme you can cover all areas of your fitness requirements.
I've been doing exercise since I got sober/clean and it has been an incredible help, its the natural endorphins I think. I've noticed that on the days that I have a wobble with everything its on the days that I've missed a workout. I haven't been exercising obsessively though probably about three times a week. It has helped with my insomnia aswell, ok I'm not cured of it yet but at least I'm getting some sleep at night.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Also with respect to your new avatar there is a really good programme on line that is called "100 push ups in six weeks" I haven't done it yet ( can't even do one) but I've heard good reports about it, if you google it you should find it easy enough.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Okay, I'm another of advanced age chimming in here (40+).

I've gotten back into my yoga/pilates routine. I pop in a DVD and do this in my home, it takes about an hour. I try to do yoga 5 times a week and power walk 5 - 10 miles per week. The yoga really helps with strengthening the core muscles. Yoga is helping to keep me mentally focused, too.

I also have a friend who is 84 and still teaches a yoga class once a week. She is an inspiration!

My neighbors are in their 60's and they do thai chi (sp?), they love it.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey trucker, I'll be 50 next week and I hit the weights a couple to three times a week. That helps keep me toned, and improves overall body strength. I started after my second heart attack and it has helped me alot, even my docs impressed, not to mention that I fit into my clothes much better. Walking is my other favorite, taking a stroll to see what's happening in the neighborhood, cruisin' the mall, going to Home depot and looking at new tools, are all good for overall cardio fitness. Now, if only I could afford some more tools.... lol.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Trucker,

Dont forget 42 is the new 32... You keep lifting and jogging boy...xx