Notices

Need help to quit smoking weed

Old 03-07-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help to quit smoking weed

Im on my third week now and having a hard-time quitting smoking pot. I have smoke it for about 10 years now and I need to stop. Not to sound arrogant, but i am a very successfull businessman.....but still see the need to spark up everynight. I don't crave it at work. Just when I get home at night. My wife has been with me for five years and finally fed up. Anyone have any support they can give me on quitting?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome!

The support you need to help quit can be found in a Narcotics Anonymous meeting. If you wait patiently for a bit, Bear will be by to help you find a meeting in your town.

If you have a desire to stop using and take action with it, you will begin to move away from the drug. You may find it useful to post here frequently about the struggles you experience as a result of stopping. Don't worry, myself and many others will help you to help you to stay stopped.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I really appreciate that. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wine was my drug of choice, so I don't have anything to offer you, other than wishing you good luck!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

addiction is addiction.... i just appreciate people who understand the struggle
Old 03-08-2009, 12:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nater, I've quit weed for long periods of time many times. Been 100% sober since July 13th 2008 - no alcohol, no weed, nothing. So here's a thought for you at the stage where you're at right now.

They always say it stays in your system for somewhere around a month - people probably vary on that due to multiple factors. Either way, it's still in your system and I think that makes this time period harder than it will be for you later. In other words, it's a very slow withdrawal. Hang in there a while longer and you should start to feel sharper and have better short term memory etc. You may be one of these people that stayed sharp and had a good memory anyway and that's what allowed you to be a successful businessman...but it will get even better gradually over time.

I'm guessing that if Einstein smoked up, he would not have turned into some goofy stereotype Spicoli pothead, but I'll also bet he wouldn't have come up with all that he did sober.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nater,

Sometimes we confuse quitting with change, and in order to overcome addictions, we need to change. It's hard to give something up without having a replacement. We have to find something that helps us redirect our energy, and I have found that coming here and posting helps curb the urges to drink, and I'm finding other ways to fill the void that alcohol filled for so many years of my life. When I was a teen, I smoked alot of pot, but I replaced that with booze when I became 21. When I smoked, all I wanted to do was sit around, munch on Doritos, listen to rock music and suck down a couple of 2 liters of coca cola, along with a couple of snickers bars and red licorice. I had to stop smoking pot, or get a job at a clothing store, so that I would get discounts on new clothes, because I was getting to fat to fit into my britches, lol. Booze became my new drug, and here I am, trying to kick it, just the same as you're trying to kick the pot habit. I only have a couple of weeks since my last drink, so I'm staying close to this board, and kepping as busy as possible, to keep my mind off the urges. I also have spoken with my family and friends regarding my desire to stop and am building a network of support to help keep me on track.

Keep trying, you will find what works for you if you keep trying. Your wife may be fed up with the drug, but that may not mean she's fed up with you, so focus on what it takes for you to replace the drug with something that works for you.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome nater.
I quit smoking weed and hash 6 years ago. Firestorm is right you have to find something else to do with your time and you have to really want to quit for you and not because someone else wants you to if you know what I mean.
When I quit smoking my drinking became more intense and that is why I am here now so be careful of that..
Good luck.
Plenty of support from caring people here. Posting and reading here has helped me fill the dead time but I know I have to find something more productive and interesting to do with my time soon.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

nater

I'm a recovering opiate/cocaine addict, 163 days clean. My husband has smoked weed since he was a teenager. I used to not think much about about it, but now that I'm clean, I really need him to be 'clean also. I used to not notice when he was high...but now I notice it every time. Like you, he is a hard worker and provides for his family, so he's not the stereotypical 'lazy pothead', but now that I'm starting my life over without the use of drugs, I need him to do the same. This, I'm afraid, is going to cause problems in our marriage if he doesn't quit.
Are you married? If so, how does your partner feel about you quiting? If you truly want to quit, then you'll find a lot of support at this site. You can do it, just stay focused, and find a local na meeting to attend. Good Luck 2 You! :praying
Old 03-08-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the help guys.. ill keep coming here... it seems to help alot
Old 03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by Nater79 View Post
Im on my third week now and having a hard-time quitting smoking pot. I have smoke it for about 10 years now and I need to stop. Not to sound arrogant, but i am a very successfull businessman.....but still see the need to spark up everynight. I don't crave it at work. Just when I get home at night. My wife has been with me for five years and finally fed up. Anyone have any support they can give me on quitting?
I too am on my third week of not smoking pot after 20 plus years of smoking the stuff, and what I'm finding is that every day it's getting a little easier to resist the urge, to just not think about it as an option, and to be OK with that. I think you're on the right road if quitting is what you want to do, so give yourself a chance to succeed and give yourself some credit for how far you've already gotten. Get to a month, by sheer willpower if need be. From there, keep it going and I bet that before long, you'll not even want to get high. One thing I should mention though, I quit not because somebody else wanted me to (my wife is a very successful business woman AND consummate pothead) but because I wanted to, based solely on the fact that I was really no longer enjoying it, and it no longer fit in my idea of what a sober life should be. In any case, I wish you luck.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I appreciate that. Ya she wants me to quit pretty bad. To be honest I really like the stuff. But i want to stay married also. Shes important to me and I have to respect that. Ill keep trying
Old 03-15-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Being honest with myself I have neither the desire,need, or strength to quit atm. Not to mention my wife has MS and it definatly eases the symtoms of her disease. Pot only gives me anti-motivative-syndrome when there's nothing really to do in the first place so I'm not a lazy stoner. I do support anyone else that wants to rid thier life of an addiction though, so I'm glad you're doin good. And keep on doin good!