Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Cigarette taxes are going up 61 cents a pack starting April 1st

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This really bugs me. is this a "luxury" tax???
We all know how hard it is to overcome addiction. I just feel like this is targeting people who are having a tough time getting by. My husband smokes, he's tried to quit and I'd love it if he did. I hate him spending the money, just like he hated my beer money. But I don't expect him to try and quit right now with the money problems we're having. This just adds to it.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

They raised it here $1.25 last year. Still didnt stop too many people from smoking.
It did however cause me to change my brand. And with all the buy 1 get 1 specials they have. Didnt really make a diiference anyway. Cigs here are $7 a pack for name brand.
I smoke generics or b1g1's. 6.40 for 2 pack b1g1.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love the new avatar chiynita
Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Thumbs up

Good. They should make a pack of smokes so expensive with taxes that people can't afford them anymore. I have no problem with these types of taxes and they're good for smokers even if they are too deep into the denial of their addiction to realize it.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All I know is I have to find a way to quit smoking as soon as I can anyways, new taxes or not. It's a bad habit and addiction I really have to break free from somehow or another.
Wes
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Yep..Me too. I am goin to take advantage of that time ion rehab. NO SMOKING for a month. Should force me to get a head start on it. Just cant pick one back up when I get out.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

They're going up 75¢ here. And they're already averaging $6 a pack.

Personally, I don't mind it. Maybe this will get me to stop. I'm all for hiking taxes on things like cigarettes and alcohol.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I smoke like a chimney since I got sober so don't welcome this tax. I know I should quit smoking, just don't want to give up my last addiction. It was easier giving up alcohol.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I could be wrong but I heard their going up $1.01 per pack and up another $7.00 a carton. That was on the sign on the door where we get our cigarettes.

My husband and I both smoke. We both are going to be quitting next month when they go up. We can't afford the price. I think the prices suck, but what are you gonna do.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I think it's different state to state... name brand packs here are around $4.80, and I get cartons of name brand for around 32bucks still. I know they just went up .20 cents yesterday. I can see the 'luxury' point, even being a smoker, it is a choice (ah haven't we all heard that a million times re: addiction).. Course, I've always said $5 was my limit.. eh, we'll see. I'm sure saving a heck of a lot of money w/no alcohol, and smoke WAY less now that I'm not drinking.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've went as far as smoking some little cigar type cigarette that, costs around a buck a pack

We all know, it's not good for us.

I would recommend those of you early in recovery to focus on not drinking before you entertain any thought's to giving up smoking
Old 03-04-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Zing, there is actually evidence that suggests nicotine increases cravings for alcohol:

New studies have shed much light on cross-addiction between nicotine and alcohol. Nicotine increases the craving for alcohol. For many alcoholics, smoking is also a behavioral trigger for drinking, and getting clean from cigarettes is a major step toward reducing cravings for alcohol. Many alcoholics in recovery have successfully quit smoking after they quit drinking. Studies have shown also that alcoholics can quit drinking and smoking at the same time, and modern treatment centers are increasingly based on this principle.
The Sober Alcoholic's Stop Smoking Support Page

That said, I'm not a (tobacco) smoker, and can't transmit an experience I haven't had...

I'm actually somewhat allergic to nicotine. It's always made me sufficiently ill to not want to keep doing it. When I went to treatment in 2001, I made them change their smoking policies for outside group meetings and give me a place to take outside breaks other than the mens smoking area. Needless to say, it caused a bit of drama, lol...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I hope my husband sees it as a time to quit. I'm not going to push it, he has to do it for himself, not his nagging wife. Being sober, I sure do hate the smell though. I didn't notice it so much before. It's really disgusting and unattractive.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

The lungs or the liver......hmm......what to do, what to do....LOL

I quit smoking 9 years ago and can't wait for the no smoking inside buildings to take effect in Montana!! You know what they say about reformed smokers.......it's true!!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
where the light is

Cigarettes are about $10/pack (name brand) in Ontario (Canada).

Agreed..it's a horrible addiction. Over the past couple of years, I cut down from 20-25 cigarettes a day to about 12-15.

Ah well...I don't drink, I eat well, and I exercise everyday. Some day, I'll be perfect!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by mamabin View Post
is this a "luxury" tax???
No, more like a "death" tax.

Because that's why you're paying for.

Your own death...
Old 03-04-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
I quit smoking 9 years ago and can't wait for the no smoking inside buildings to take effect in Montana!!
I was so happy when that law passed in Washington.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

We have total smoking ban here in Ireland and it seems successful if a little unsightly watching every one standing outside on the street to have a smoke.
They are 8 euro 10 cents here now, not sure what that is in dollors, seem to be smoking more now though since quitting alcohol
Old 03-04-2009, 12:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

There's state cig taxes and then there's federal. Federal hits everyone (in the US anyway). The state ones are just, you know, state to state.

I think the one OP is talking about is a Fed tax that hits nationwide. If I understand it correctly, it's to help fund a new health care plan for children who otherwise wouldn't have health care insurance. I smoke and I don't have a problem with this. Think it's known as SCHIP or something like that.

edit: yep, State Childrens Health Insurance Program... current fed tax is at $.039. As of April 1 fed tax goes up $.061 to make a total of $1.00 per pack. And it's to fund SCHIP. And then add to that whatever your state currently taxes per pack.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I couldn't drink without smoking

Might as well gave me rat poison to top it off with