Notices

Earworms....

Old 03-04-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Earworms....

Sounds gross, but its not what you think. Its a term coined by a British MD referring to getting songs stuck in your head and cannot get rid of them. I have been having that problem for about 2 months when I wake up at night. Its like its running in my head while I am sleeping and as soon as I awake its there. Its very annoying and maddening at the same time. It may have something to do with early OCD which I dont have. Just wondering if any heavy drinkers experience the same thing....
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm pretty sure you don't have to be a drinker to have that problem.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Not sure if it has anything to do with drinking, I've always had a song stuck in my head, since I was little.. doesn't bother me much really. Maybe listen to other songs, or go to sleep with the radio really soft (course then maybe that will stick in your head too!). I think I've just learned to live with it, as I read this I had to think of what song was in my head.. and yep, there it is..lol
Old 03-04-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I always have some sort of song stuck in my head. If I hear a commercial sometimes. That will stay stuck in my head for hours and certain songs will be in my head for days. I am always singing something. I dont mind it tho. I actually like it.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

This happens to my girlfriend. It drives her crazy! She's not a heavy drinker. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any connection to drinking.

I think someone has mentioned OCD to her but she's not been diagnosed with it.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I look at it like free radio in your head. LOL
But it can get old because I will sing and keep hearing the same part over and over again.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yah.. 4 days of "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" is wearing a bit thin...

Someone's going to hunt me down and kill me for this, but that's ok. I've heard that one of the number one 'earworm's is "Who Let the Dogs Out".. woof woof woof..

*hiding now*
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Grrrrr. Who Let The Dogs Out. Keep those doors locked Flutter.

I had a drinking friend with a big dog and he would put that stupid song on about 10 times when we visited him because his dog would howl along with it. He would laugh his head off every time and this went on for years. It drove almost everyone else insane except the pot smokers who will laugh at anything.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

oh geez, now I'm gonna have that dumb song in my head. Thanks flutter!!!

Oh yeah, sarcasm, that was sarcasm.

I'm listening to "Slowride" by Foghat on the radio. Guitar Hero brought that song back big time. In case you don't know, it's the first song (I think) to learn. And I have crappy coordination so I've played it thousands of times. And for the record, Guitar Hero is the first video game I've EVER been addicted to.

I get songs stuck in my head alot too. It only bothers me if it's a dumb song I just heard on the radio that I don't like.

My first thought when I wake up is "did I really drink last night or was that just a dream"? I hope it goes away soon. I had the cocaine dream for years after I stopped using.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's like having "Don't worry, be happy" in your head. There you go Fubar, now you can get the other one out of your head.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

Thanks Mamabin. I am going to put that CD on right now.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

There was a commercial around Super Bowl time that had Talking bout my generation. And I didnt remember hearing it. But just started singing it all night. And I was like where the heck did I hear it? So those songs can cling onto you without even relizing it.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

When I was trying to find some info on musical auditory hallucinations. I have had on and off for years, one the first things suggested was some of the anti-dep. medications will
trigger them. But the one that made the difference was after years of listening to music
24/7 I stopped cold because I couldn't stand the noise when I was going through a pretty bad mental meltdown. The music and the songs in my mind just kept getting worse.
That is when I learned after years of constant music input and it is just shut off, the brain thinking that something is wrong tries to repair itself and starts to reproduce songs that were in my memory to replace the music that it believes is missing. It almost took me over the edge.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
vicieux extraordinaire

Hey JBear! how are you doing? hope everything is well on your end!

Weird! I´ve always had a song stuck in my head, or a certain bridge or chorus of a particular tune... in fact saves a lot of electricity and prevents global warming not to have to turn on my computer or my stereo to listen to my favourite tunes!

Kidding aside: i had sometimes that i had one certain line of a song (right now is "i must have brought the bad weather with me" - since it has been raining for days it suits and if i spit it out loud at loud at the supermarket unconsciously, it makes sense for me and everyone else) stuck in my head when i was in bed and i would go "where the f**k is the plug for this thing?" and it kept repeating over and over again. But it had happened while binging and while sober indifferently. Guess is just part of the "Insanity Combo" i purchased 15 years ago when i started it all.

Go easy on things like these, especially while detoxing. Or go see your doctor if it is a concern! Best of luck with it!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

I have some information about Paws. Post Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome and one of the things common in the list is the relentless song stuck in your head during withdrawals. I have always had this now and then in life but good lord!! I sang Rama Lama Ding Dong for two straight months after getting sober!!! LOL No kidding either!
Old 03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hmmm...last song I had stuck in my head was "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas, but I think that was because I played that song for like two days straight. So, I went around singing it to myself for like three or four more days.
Wes
Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i am a musician (well sort of) i play a lot. gregg allmans "End of the Line" has stuck in my head the last few days especially at night when i cant sleep. so- dont worry about it - we are human
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CoF1984 View Post
Hmmm...last song I had stuck in my head was "Dust In The Wind" by Kansas, but I think that was because I played that song for like two days straight. So, I went around singing it to myself for like three or four more days.
Wes
Wes singing Dust in the Wind??? I think somebody stole your identity on myspace
Old 11-24-2023, 08:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Music whilst drinking

I get this...in fact i've just woke up with it now. I think this is the thing. When i've had a few pints after work i stick on my headphones and certain songs/anthems/belters, as my mate Neil calls them, that i wouldn't listen to day to day suddenly sound a lot better. They usually have a certain part that sticks in the head.

Fast forward to waking up at 4am and realising i'd had a few the night before (at the time i just feel a slightly heightened 'normal' version of myself. Even after 4 or 5 pints of low level lager) .....and i have that certain bit in my head now on loop. Kind of like my brain saying 'oh you like this bit huh? Well here it is foreverrrrrrr!!'

I think the brain swelling from dehydration probably contributes to it. So it's 4.35am and i have a bit of Flying without wings by Westlife stuck in my head. Cheers Neil.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Mrb223
are you thinking of quitting the drink?

D