Thursday!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thursday!

Well, I am going to TN on Thursday for the final meeting with the social workers and their team. We will be meeting with my sister and her bf at the jail so that we can finalize all the bits and bobs that have to be signed. I will be taking the children home with me following the meeting.

Sis called earlier, and told me that they are bringing the children to the jail so that they can see their parents for what may be the last time for a long time. I am really conflicted about this! I understand that she needs to see her children... I really do! However, how wise is it to take three children under the age of six who were removed from their parents FIVE months ago, and then let them see their parents briefly before the EVIL AUNT abducts them and drives them 11 hours to their new home? Frustrating to say the very least. The two youngest boys may not entirely understand, but I can guarantee that the six year old is going to be perfectly miserable for days. Just seems like a bad foot to get started off on. Ok ok.. whining mode off.

Sis was excited because she's going to get to see her children, and even more excited because she's going to get to be in the same room with her BF. She says they're not allowed to talk to each other or even look at each other when they've had them together before. She also said that the BF got up in an LTs face and informed he that she was his wife and they had three kids together, and he was going to talk to her! She sounded so proud! I told her that I didn't think that was very bright considering he's in JAIL. *shakes head* I never will be able to make sense out of those two!

Anyways, we will be getting guardianship of the boys until the end of March when they have the adjudication hearing for the allegations of severe abuse and neglect. Once parental rights are terminated it will open the door for us to obtain full custody, and then start the process for adoption. I am excited, and daunted, and overwhelmed in so many ways. I knew this was coming, I prepared for it happening, and now it's here and I'm an exhausted wreck. *laughs* I'm going to try to get some sleep in before I leave tomorrow afternoon for the first leg of the trip. Thank you all again for being here to listen to me babble!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm wishing you a safe journey and a drama free Thursday
Old 03-03-2009, 01:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

My prayers go with you, for the children most of all. It is one thing for adults to make bad choices in their lives, but it's the innocent children that break my heart.

These children are so blessed to have you in their lives. I hope the emotional upheaval for them will soon end.

Hugs
Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hugs and prayers to you and those innocent kids. You are doing a wonderful thing.

Amy
Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good luck for a safe trip and a drama-free day. My prayers are with you!! Those boys are going to have a bright future with you and your husband.

HG
Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is wonderful news!!!!

fyi - you are not going to be the Evil Aunt in their eyes - even if they dont tell you so you will be the one who is saving them and taking them to a normal life.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks folks.. I know I've just been fretting. I've not been sleeping hardly at all, and when I do sleep it's brief and I wake up frequently. I've just been ordered by my mother via phone to go to bed RIGHT NOW! *laughs* Feels like I'm 6 again. We've waited five months, and I guess I'm just waiting for the "something wrong". The children are going to be FINE. I know this because I know how strong my husband is, and how strong I am, and how much stronger we are together. He will be out of town when I get back for three weeks before he deploys for the next three months. It's a real transition time for all of us.
I know that I could do much worse than raise these children as military "brats". They will get experiences that not every child gets, but most importantly they will be loved, and kept safe. I know that there's a lot of psychology involved here, and I've found myself feeling guilty. My husband and I can't have more children, although we had talked about adopting more early in our marriage we contented ourselves with our one son and the blessing that he is. I don't know where the guilt has come from, but it's eating me up.

I don't want to take my sister's children from her. Does that make sense? I want to rescue them, and I want to see her get help, but I know that once I get the boys that in my heart they will become MY sons. My mother has suggested that I get therapy. I know that the boys, especially the oldest, may need therapy, and it might not be a bad idea for me too. If for nothing else, to help me sort through this guilt thing.

Posting here, reading your stories, your triumphs, and your heartaches has helped me more than words can even begin to express. It helps knowing that I'm not alone, and that there are so many families out there experiencing similar circumstances. I know that there's a higher power than myself, but I have trouble giving up that control of things. I know that I can't control it, but unfortunately it doesn't keep me from trying!