Steps for codie....

Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Steps for codie....

Did you do them? And did you find it helpful?

I am wanting to do them - but I have this aversion - like a physical sensation - that prevents me from doing them. WTH?

(that tells me that it's probably a really good idea that I do them ... huh?)
Old 02-25-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on step 3. In Celebrate Recovery, we have a book. It's thought provoking and you have to answer the questions which is helpful otherwise, it I just looked at the steps, I wouldn't know where to begin.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can read them and play the "what comes to my mind first" dealio- but it's as though I have q/a block ???

And I feel that my answers can change from month to month. ???

Is it best not to go back and read?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Doing the steps is a great way to take the focus off your addict and put it where it belongs--on you Also it takes time to feel comfortable with inspecting your inner self so if it takes you a while to do them, don't worry. Some people in my group laugh when they say they thought they would just breeze through the steps. It is not that simple. Hugs, Marle
Old 02-26-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree - I think the answers/responses always change because we are constantly evolving as people and what we react to one way today, might not be how we react tomorrow or the next day. I think it's a constant tool and not one that you work quickly through and then put away in shed.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I worked through the steps, the first time, gently guided by my sponsor from my CoDA group, and these steps continue to be the foundation of my recovery even today.

There are workbooks that help us understand what the steps mean, one that I found helpful was Melody Beattie's Twelve Steps for Codependents.

Although they can be done on our own, I highly recommend finding a home group, choosing a sponsor and working the steps with help from them.

Hugs
Old 02-26-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Geezey Peezey - I haven't even had time to think straight - let alone get to a meeting or work the steps! You can for sure tell the codies here that have though so it has to be helpful.

Hang in there Abs.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The first step was the hardest but once I got past it, the rest were easy. It's the same way for me and therapy. I told my therapist last week I love coming in and feeling all the pain because it means I'm headed to a better place. Kind of reminds me of when I used to go to confession. Everyone else always grumbled about it but I couldn't wait. Dumping my burdens feels good!