Notices

I'm new

Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new

I am so sad. I think I have a drinking problem. I used to be able to have just a few drinks but now I drink until I can't see straight. It's not fun anymore. I have driven drunk, drank while pregnant and have had blackouts. Luckily, I have not killed anyone or myself and my daughter is healthy. I don't know how this happened. How did I let it happen? I have a wonderful husband and two beautiful little girls aged 3 and 9 months and I am a drunk. What is wrong with me? I don't want my girls to grow up with a drunk. I am sick of feeling like **** emotionally and physically. I am tired of being "good" during the week just to **** it up on the weekends. I am sick of not being able to lose 20 pounds because I drink so many calories in alcohol. I'm just sick of all of it. I'm just so sad.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Welcome to SR.

Hope is not lost, and you've already taken the first step by admitting you have a problem and want to change.

Post some, read a lot, and don't drink.

There is a great deal of support here.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mle-sober

jdaisymae,

Do not lose hope! There is a solution. I'm so glad you're here. If you want it to be, this can be the beginning of a whole new life for you! Many, many people have been exactly where you are right now and have found a way to turn their lives around. You can too.

I know how miserable you feel. It is a horrible place to be. And desperate. I was there only a year ago and I did not really even believe it was possible to change. In my first few months of sobriety, I was afraid that my own body would betray my efforts to recover - that driving down the street my hands would take control of the wheel and steer me into the liquor store. Passing the store, I could feel myself begin to, literally, shake from the effort it took to stay focused and sober.

You are here and that is your new beginning if you want it to be. AA has been the biggest influence in my efforts to turn my life around. Other people, many others, have done it in different ways. The most important thing is that you make a committment to change.

You are living a life that can endanger your children right now. And I know you love them. Maybe, to start, that can be your motivator. When I first quit, I did so for my husband. After about 3 months, I realized I was doing it for me too.

Welcome to SR. You can do this.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome jdaisymae.
It sounds like you know that you have to quit drinking.
There is plenty of support and knowledge here that people are more than happy to share.

Print your post out and keep it in your purse and when you want to drink just read it and think of those two young lives that depend on you.
The time for you to do something about it is right now. today.
Good luck.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Please know that we understand and that there is hope.

I couldn't believe that I had become an alcoholic and, at the time, I had no idea how it happened, either. But, when I look back, I see I was an addict waiting to happen.

There is lots of support and information here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome.. I hope you make some good changes for you, and especially the babies that depend on you.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

welcome. Daisy..I am glad you found your way to our door
There is always hope, and you have made a big first step...
please have a look around; there are stickies at the top of the page and keep posting...we care very much...
Old 02-20-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have kids or a husband but I totally relate to being unable to stop drinking even though I hated the results it brought to my life. It happened because we are alcoholics. It's a disease we have no control over and it gets progressively worse despite our best efforts.

The good news is that you are in the right place. I haven't had a drink for nearly four months and I feel sooooo much better. I feel like there is hope where before there was only blackness.

I'm glad you are here and hope you stick around
Old 02-20-2009, 03:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

WELCOME, DAISY!!!!

We unknowingly cross that "invisible line" that separates us from being "normal drinkers". We never truly know "what happened"... it just did and here we are gaining our lives back in one big family that has been in your shoes and knows what you're going through!

You've made a HUGE start by posting here to all of us! We can help... We all help eachother! We learn here, we make friends here, we start a new life here. This isn't the begin all or end all for you. There's alot of support through various groups that deal with those suffering from their addictions.... this is one of them!

Welcome to our family of those maintaining or regaining or desiring sobriety!!! We've got your back and you're never alone with us! Keep your chin up! It really does get better!!!

Hugs...........:ghug:ghug3:ghug2
Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand completely. Today is my first day here, and I have similar issues. I wonder why I'm always low on money, and can't seem to lose any weight, but it's always the drinking of course. The solution is crystal clear, yet not so easy to face. I think we fear quitting more than anything else. I have found myself wondering today, is it really that bad to not drink? I don't think it is. I think it will be nothing but good for my life - I'm sure you can relate to that.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are sad... but it's probably because you are finally telling yourself the truth. That can be the hardest thing to do, but only then can you do something about it. I think it's wonderful that you have your daughters and husband, they can support you and love you and help you overcome the addiction. You can do this.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I'm glad you found us. Quitting drinking isn't easy but it is rewarding. YOu can do this. Just don't drink today. Just for today, stay sober. :ghug3 Then do the same thing tomorrow.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, jdaisymae! :ghug3

I'll just say the same message...keep reading and posting. Try the "2 weeks and under" thread; I think it's in the daily support forum. Navigate and look around; there're plenty of tools and forums here. You're bound to find some ideas that will help you pull yourself out of this, and most of all: we're here for you!! I'm ending my fourth day, and I really don't think I would've gotten this far without this place and the people here. (Yes, 4 days is far...for me.)

Again, welcome, and stay with us!!:ghug
Old 02-20-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Jdaisymae! You have come to the right place- there is a lot of support here

Admitting that we have a problem is the hardest step! Give yourself a huge hug for that! knowing there is hope and hearing what others have to say on these boards will help you begin your path to recovery-

Breathe and sit back we are here for you and we understand

Please keep posting and remember we are here 24 hours a day!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! I really need support. My husband and I usually drink on the weekens so tonight is hard for me. I have anxiety, it sucks. I will get through this......
Old 02-20-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm glad you found us! One Day at A Time, just get through today. Sounds too simple, doesn't it? I kept waiting for someone to give me the magical cure and it was as simple as One Day at A Time.

I encourage you to look into AA as well. If I hadn't finally surrendered and started going to AA Meetings, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have died years ago.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 02-20-2009, 09:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Jdaisymae, and welcome!

It's great that you are asking how this can happen to you. I keep trying to deny that it has happened, then I spend time trying to figure out why, I guess so that I can fix it--and then what? Be able to drink again? That is so sneaky on my part: lol!

Carol said something to me in a post a while back, along the lines of our reaching a turning point when our body just says "Hey, I can't handle this anymore. You drink, I pass out."

Today is day seven for me. I stopped drinking on a regular basis a year ago, but every few weeks have stopped and had several glasses of wine, which make me sick. Then I don't drink for several weeks and "think" about why I am this way.

Tonight when I came home, I had a trigger to drink: I had had a long, very productive day, was tired, and felt like I deserved a drink.

Then I thought about what Carol said: the drinking part of my body is broken. I don't know why, though looking at my family I can see its genetic components. Tonight, I could see past all of my rationalizing and see that it doesn't even matter why: it's broken: I get sick--or worse--black out if I drink wine.

For tonight, anyway, I didn't feel bad about being an alcoholic, put myself down, or even feel deprived that I can't drink like others. I didn't go buy any wine tonight for one reason: that part of my body no longer functions, so I need to figure out some new habits to replace it with.

This is a great place to be and to learn, Jdaisymae. I hope you will keep posting.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
uʍop ǝpısdn

Just wanted to say Welcome Home.
Jdaisymae:
You are in the right place, kick back and get to know us. this is where the Cool kids hang out, and some times if were good, they give us cookies! so be good!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Blessings to you and your family

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hello JDaisymae...Welcome to the SR Family!!! I am pretty new hear too yet and it is a very lovely forum with many, many caring and kind people who listen and offer comforting replies. You have made a very hugh decision by joining SR and admitting to your defeat with alcohol. That is a very hard decision to make and GOOD FOR YOU! For doing this while you are still a young woman and you have an entire LIFE yet to live and to enjoy being sober. I wish you every success.

Pancake =^..^= xo :ghug2