Notices

Can I keep my clean date?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Can I keep my clean date?

I've been taking codeine since Sunday 8th for flu-like virus. I tried everything else, and it was the only thing that made me feel half-way human.

I took them as directed, and I'm flushing the rest. Can I keep my clean date, or do I need to start again?

I do feel really proud of myself for doing it, altho I didn't abuse them mainly coz I felt too ill to keep a load of pills down. And I'm probably only flushing them coz of the relentlessness of certain people on this forum (you know who you are! ).

Off to flush them before I read any answers. If you say I have to start again, I might get a case of the fck it's!

LB x
Old 02-11-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Of course. You were using it as medicine. I think.

Just kidding, LOL.

Keep the date.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Now with fewer opiates!

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
And I'm probably only flushing them coz of the relentlessness of certain people on this forum (you know who you are! ).
Hmmm.

For dis bear, it's a personal thing. Many in NA would say "no". But codeine is not OTC (over the counter) here, so that makes it harder for me to say.

I'll say this: I choose to make my clean date the day I entered detox, even though I was on suboxone for 5 days. Reason? I was taking medicine as prescribed for my diagnosed illness. Some in NA say no, sub is a drug so you were still taking drugs. That's not how I see it.

As I said, it's a personal thing. Dunno if you have a sponsor or do the 12 step thing (I should know that) but if ya do, ask.

Not giving an answer I guess, I remain relentlessly yours,
Old 02-11-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sct

This might be helpful:

In Times of Illness

It sounds like a health issue, and sometimes, in recovery we do have to take medications for illnesses, or for chronic pain. It's most important that we be honest with ourselves, and with the people in recovery around us.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

My vote is for you to keep your clean date!
If you were taking them as prescribed...
Old 02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

If you felt high then you lose your "clean date". LOL. You so crazy.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

No, it wasn't prescribed. And I can assure you, I felt very far from high. I felt very, very low!!!

I have just flushed a monumental amount of pills away. Sobs! Can't believe I had that many left.

Actually, I feel really good about myself right now, and couldn't care less when my clean date is! I just feel, for the first time in a while, that I'm moving in the right direction.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

Sweet LB,

Keep up the good work. Your getting there.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It is your call, in my opinion.

Only you know your motives.

Clean time is based on honesty and integrity.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I think my motives were good, but just in case, I'll start again. I didn't need them for medical purposes, only to relieve symptoms, which maybe comes under the heading of "changing the way I feel".

I was surprised at my lack of obsession while I had all those pills, but I was too sick to care. I've also got thin again! Yay!

Thanks for the advice, guys. LB xxx
Old 02-12-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go LB :bounce

D
Old 02-12-2009, 05:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

better ways to dispose of medications

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
I have just flushed a monumental amount of pills away.
I agree with the other posts that your clean date is a personal decision. FWIW, If there was a vote, I'd vote that you keep it.

Please consider alternative ways to dispose of medications other than flushing them down the toilet.

Regards...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Originally Posted by Thanks2HP View Post
I agree with the other posts that your clean date is a personal decision. FWIW, If there was a vote, I'd vote that you keep it.

Please consider alternative ways to dispose of medications other than flushing them down the toilet.

Regards...
Hey, maybe the "sea kittens" (fish) enjoy catching a buzz now and again. LOL
Old 02-12-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thanks2HP View Post

Regards...
Wow, not even Hospice knows that, because I remember them flushing down my sister's Morphine like 20 minutes after she passed away.

LostButterfly, what is the strength of the otc codiene in the UK? Is it just Tylenol 2?
Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

What is the clean date? The day you got clean and took no more or your goal for taking no more?

Right now im still tapering but I haven't felt a buzz since I started due to taking low doses and hydrocodone so I kinda consider it that I am getting clean. It's different not getting high. Everyone seems so much more fun when I was on oxycodone. Now it's really boring. That's the hardest part of it. Time flies when I had that euphoria and felt hyper from them and good. I felt on top of the world. Now I feel very low. It's hard. But I know I have to do it. I was just so used to waking up in the morning and popping them and drinking my coffee and feeling great. I'd get online and clean my house and just feel wonderful. Now I don't even feel like getting out of bed.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

Hey LB, your clean date is whenever you decide that you are clean. Dont get all caught up in how others perceive and judge ya, makes no sense at all.

Your a great person and Im glad your doing well. You were introduced back to the opiates but able to control them *while taking them* and then dispose of the rest *when necessary*.

take care ~~ scott
Old 02-12-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I took them as directed, and I'm flushing the rest. Can I keep my clean date, or do I need to start again?
LB,

I'm going to say this with all the relentlessness that I can muster. .

I believe with all my heart that a clean date is primarily between an addict's clean (no pun intended) conscience and his/her HP (unless NA is going to start paying retirement benefits after a certain number of years).

Therefore, I would suggest that you cling tightly to whichever date gives you the most encouragement to continue to move forward.

yep yep yep yep yep

(Hey, just flaunting some of my relentlessness! )
Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

ha, ha! ummm, how did you get more than 3 smilies in your post? That wasn't allowed last time I tried.

I just went to an NA meeting and realise I have no problems. I'm not sure if this is good or bad.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just went to an NA meeting and realise I have no problems.
Okay, LB...

Now, you've got me wondering if you flushed ALL the pills! No problems???
Old 02-13-2009, 12:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I just meant relatively, Christin. I saw where I don't want to go, and realised I've got so, so much to be grateful for.

LBx